TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Going back to the discussion about phones and wallets flying off Skyrush, I’m visiting for the first time Hersheypark later this month and I’ve never been on Skyrush before. Would cargo shorts with zipper pockets be enough to keep my valuables from hitting someone or is it really that forceful?

if the stuff is in a zipper pocket, how would it get out?

never heard of a coaster so forceful it can unzip a pocket

They will stay in your pocket, but your phone could get bent.

I wouldn't want to risk my phone in a cargo pocket. It is forceful enough to crack it in the pocket. I've never seen a coaster where the norm is no hands up. I regularly watch entire trains go around with not one single rider with their hands up. It's literally the only coaster that I've ridden that I had to sit down when I got off the first time.

^ The zippered pocket on my cargo shorts is towards the bottom and out of the way of Skyrush's restraint, but if the zippered pocket is near the upper thigh, that's a good move. The restraints can really pancake that area.

I have heard one or two anecdotes of people's pockets supposedly unzipping on rides, but, hey, it's the Internet--can't be certain they didn't simply forget, or have a broken zipper they should've noticed. Barring user error or bad pocket positioning, I basically have complete faith in zipper pockets and secure button pockets.

I'm late to the party.... I can not wait to see what they do with all this land!

Side notes: I always take my phone (iPhone) on Skyrush and have never had a problem at all. Even in my normal shorts/pants front pocket. Then again I do have a decent case on mine as well though too. Also, I always put my hands up on this and have never had an issue.

My camera cracked on Diamondback when in a zippered pocket, so I could certainly envision that happening on Skyrush with a smart phone. I also have never seen zippered pockets open themselves on coasters before, but SFGAdv might want to argue that point with you, Bert!

Michael bought me a hard Lowepro camera case that straps on to my belt - that has been wonderful to use. You can adjust where it is on your belt so that it is accommodating for most type of coaster restraints without it hurting my stomach in any way (although I haven't tried it on Skyrush).

I'm very excited to see what they do with the expansion BUT I do love the current entrance. I know it's cramped but I think with the buildings and trees, it's one of my favorite parts of the park. If they move the entrance I'm wondering what will happen to that existing area.

I have been going to the park since I was a small kid and remember when they first expanded with Sidewinder and Canyon River Rapids.

Not 100% sure this is from today but its making the rounds on coaster socials with folks saying it is. Can't figure out the origin, but if it is from today, no wonder they didn't open.

hershey.thumb.jpg.47a53615a5790e3cc9823b60ed665c2f.jpg

I wonder how much the water would hurt our legs/feet if they let us on Great Bear with the water that high.

Like... would it provide enough resistance to slow down the train? Would it just rip my legs off @ the knee?

I understand nothing of the physics behind what would happen here but I'm truly interested in this.

Doublepost sorry but update: apparently this is from today. Sucks. (I know they'll be fine and this isn't completely abnormal but still sad cause Hershey da best)

hershey2.jpg.193d34060ac5b45aac2182ad86b8b60f.jpg

This is the current situation at Hersheypark by the Super Dooper Looper roller coaster! Jenna's friend Tacey, who works at Hershey, took this pic a short time ago.

Source

Meanwhile people on all social platforms are complaining. Like Hershey has any say in the bad weather.
Yeah its unreal. Like the park is stoked to lose an entire day (or possibly a few with the forecast this week) of business.

Pennlive posted this video.

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

I'm so glad we were ahead of this by just a few days. We were sitting near the video's location having a beer just this past Thursday.

The competition has had a chocolate river for years, it's nice to see the Hershey company catching up.

the-scrumptious-looking-chocolate-river-was-actually-disgusting-photo-u1?w=650&q=50&fm=jpg&fit=crop&crop=faces

I'm so glad we were ahead of this by just a few days. We were sitting near the video's location having a beer just this past Thursday.

The competition has had a chocolate river for years, it's nice to see the Hershey company catching up.

the-scrumptious-looking-chocolate-river-was-actually-disgusting-photo-u1?w=650&q=50&fm=jpg&fit=crop&crop=faces

How was your visit???

Thanks for asking. Between Hershey Park and staying at Hershey Lodge we had a really good time. It was reminiscent of Cedar Point meets Busch Gardens, as far as the atmosphere and views of the attractions goes.

As for Skyrush goes, our first two rides were pretty good. They were slightly uncomfortable, but still fun. I didn't find the ride was as intense as people said it was, which was a good thing for the discomfort factor. We rode on the middle seats toward the front. Our third ride, which was our only ride on Skyrush on our second day, was a bit different. We made the mistake of riding in the front. We asked the people in front of us if they wanted to ride the wing seats, but they didn't. As a result, I got stuck on the left wing. The first drop was great. After that, it literally hurt. It made us not want to ride anymore. The discomfort just wasn't worth our appreciation for the ride. We spent most of our rides on Great Bear, which is rare since Emily really doesn't like inverts much. We mostly waited for front row seats on Great Bear and it was probably our favorite. We also really liked Storm Runner. Coal Cracker was awesome, as well.

The weather was beautiful and we had a pretty leisurely time to close out a long trip. I'll post a TR, eventually... probably... maybe...

We mostly waited for front row seats on Great Bear and it was probably our favorite. We also really liked Storm Runner. Coal Cracker was awesome, as well. The weather was beautiful and we had a pretty leisurely time to close out a long trip. I'll post a TR, eventually... probably... maybe...

Smart man! Storm Runner and Great Bear are my 2 favorites there as well. Did you guys go in Zoo America or Chocolate World at all? Post your TR!!