TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I was there yesterday (took my 16 month old to her first amusement park and it went better than planned).

Great Bear - My brother in law called it a great warm up coaster and I forgot how right he was. Not the best B&M invert, but unique and very fun, smooth and snappy in the twists.

Skyrush - Man... Sykrush... I only got on once due to heat and a baby at the park, but wow... I was in second to back row right side wing. I understand the restraint complaints but it really wasn't that bad. Just thinking about it again... I need to reevaluate my top 5, that thing has so much air time, it just feels like it's trying to buck you out of the coaster. Intense and amazing.

Carousel - My wife and I rode it with my daughter (figured it was a good first ride for her) and I don't know if I've ever noticed it before but that thing was actually really fast going around. I'm not sure if it actually is that quick or just felt quicker because we were standing and holding her on her horse, just a different perspective of the ride.

Laff Trakk - The let us bring the stroller in the line with us and do a switch with my sister and brother in law so that made this ride that much better. It was great to get in the AC for a few minutes with how hot Sunday was (my phone said 93). The queue line was fine, a little goofy but that exactly what I would expect for a ride like Laff Trakk. The coaster itself was much better than expected. I've ridden Steel Dragon at Waldameer which is the exact same layout, but our car must have been the perfect amount of off balance (since we switched riders with my sister, my wife and I were the only ones in the car) I've never been on a spinning coaster that spun that well, and it worked really nicely for that ride. Don't know what else to say about it other than I'm pleasantly surprised.

Lightning Racer - Not much to say other than I forgot how much I liked this coaster, very smooth for a wooden coaster with great miss elements. More fun than I remember and even more fun due to the fact that it was walk-on.

Tiny Tracks - My wife and daughter road the tiny train and she seemed to really like it. I don't have much more to say about it other than she did really well with the rides and the heat of the day. The only thing that would stop me from bringing her to a park again for a bit is she wants to sit with us on everything currently so that reduces the number of kiddie rides she can go on. She loved what she did though.

My wife needed a break from the heat after that and went to the dance show with the baby, my brother in law went to go ride his favorite (Wildcat) and my sister and I took off to see if we could fit two in during the show.

Stormrunner - I may be mistaken, but to address other posts here, it seemed to be running two trains when I rode, I wasn't in the station very long as it was walk on for me at that point, but they were loading from both sides (someone with better knowledge of their loading procedures may be able to shed some more light on that, but that seemed like it was doing 2 trains). Short little ride but I love it. It takes the good things of Top Thrill Dragster and actually puts a roller coaster after it. It may not be tall but I enjoy it a lot.

Fahrenheit- It's been years since I've been on this coaster but with a 10 minute wait I figured it was worth it. Could someone let me know if it has always had that rattle or if that's more recent (or just the ride I happened to get). Probably my least favorite coaster of the day. It has some cool elements and I like how compact it is into that spot, but it just was not enjoyable at all for me. I'm glad I did it but it wasn't great.

Skyride - We were all pretty much done after that point, the heat had gotten to us even though we were having fun but my wife loves the skyride so I was happy to do that with her on the way out of the park. I love how it goes around Great Bear, it gives some really cool views.

Overall we were at Hersheypark for about 4 hours (we had free tickets from Hershey Bears games, otherwise I wouldn't have been as ok with such a short trip). I was a bit more selfish on my ride requests than I could have been, but I knew there was limited time and really wanted to get my Skyrush ride in. The park had plenty of people, but the lines were all minimal. My daughter did amazingly and enjoyed the rides that she did. I'm going to have to take her to Waldameer (15 minutes from my house) before taking her to a bigger park again, just to get her a bit more used to riding some rides where we can watch her but it's just for kids). The heat was rough but because of it the lines were shorter so that could have been a lot worse. Worst part of the day is we left the baby's stuffed monkey on the tram into the park and she's been asking for it ever since, now we need to find her one just like it but we're doing that today. It was a great day, we were all exhausted but a great day.

I was there yesterday (took my 16 month old to her first amusement park and it went better than planned). Storm Runner - Short little ride but I love it. It takes the good things of Top Thrill Dragster and actually puts a roller coaster after it.

Hey that's great! I was wondering how your trip went. I can't believe the lines were non-existent. The last time I went to HP on a super hot day like that the lines were all 2 hrs and it was miserable. Storm Runner is my favorite ride in the park by far and one of my fav. coasters in general. You nailed it with your summery that it's TTD + a short coaster. Congrats on a super successful visit with your young one - the first of many!

I was at the park Saturday as well. I don't know how true this is (information was gotten from a teen employee) but what I heard regarding Storm Runner was that the train was damaged very badly upon morning testing and has been out of service since. Maybe someone with better inside information can confirm or deny this. Sounds like most of the summer will have one train operations.

I saw posts in the Hershey FB group this weekend that stated that while they were only running one train in the mornings, the 2nd train had made it into operations halfway through each day.

I was there yesterday (took my 16 month old to her first amusement park and it went better than planned). Storm Runner - Short little ride but I love it. It takes the good things of Top Thrill Dragster and actually puts a roller coaster after it.

Hey that's great! I was wondering how your trip went. I can't believe the lines were non-existent. The last time I went to HP on a super hot day like that the lines were all 2 hrs and it was miserable. Storm Runner is my favorite ride in the park by far and one of my fav. coasters in general. You nailed it with your summery that it's TTD + a short coaster. Congrats on a super successful visit with your young one - the first of many!

I look forward to when she is a little older and seeing parks through her eyes. I love seeing it all but there's nothing quite like seeing a kid see something like that for the first time.

I was at the park Saturday as well. I don't know how true this is (information was gotten from a teen employee) but what I heard regarding Storm Runner was that the train was damaged very badly upon morning testing and has been out of service since. Maybe someone with better inside information can confirm or deny this. Sounds like most of the summer will have one train operations.

I saw posts in the Hershey FB group this weekend that stated that while they were only running one train in the mornings, the 2nd train had made it into operations halfway through each day.

That could explain why there were two when I was riding yesterday afternoon. Ride times for it dropped a lot around 2 some I'm guessing that's around when the second train went on.

I hope that's the case. I was there on Saturday from park opening until 8:30 that night and only saw launches from the right side (as you sit on the train) of the station. The wait times I saw were never less than 60 minutes, it was never a walk on. My daughter and I watched closely on the app as its her favorite ride in the park.

I hope that's the case. I was there on Saturday from park opening until 8:30 that night and only saw launches from the right side (as you sit on the train) of the station. The wait times I saw were never less than 60 minutes, it was never a walk on. My daughter and I watched closely on the app as its her favorite ride in the park.

They were loading from both left and right side (at least around 2) on Sunday.

Hopefully they will start keeping both sides open more regularly now that we're fully into the summer hours.

Does anyone know which rides are affected by rain? Looks like there will be showers Friday, but I will have a chance to use the Sneak Peek entry the night before. I want to be get on the rides that could be shut down because of rain. Thanks.

Did a search and did not see anything posted on this. My apologies if I missed it. There is an online auction next week of items from one of Hershey's warehouses. There is some junk, and a lot of stuff from the hotels, but there are a lot of park related items as well, including old signs, maps, bumper cars, lights, parts from Lightning Racer, Rolling Soaker, Sidewinder, etc.. Inspection is Wednesday June 21 from 2:00pm to 6:00pm EDT. You can bid online for the items, but they have to be removed by Saturday June 24. More info:

rasmus.com/auction/315988/all-things-hershey-online-auction/

Does anyone know what rides are affected by rain? Looks like there will be showers tomorrow but I will get the chance to use the Sneak Peek entry tonight. Thanks.

All of them to varying degrees. They will run everything as long as they safely can. Some things will close faster than others. I think Skyrush will close in a light rain for example, while LR will run until the rain comes down a little harder. Everything will shut down with a lightning strike within something like a 5 mile radius of the park.

Edited by amy_mel

Today is a great day to be at Hershey. Everything has been a walk-on except Laff Trakk. I'm queuing for that one now and the app lists it at 30 min. I remember everyone questioning the ride's capacity when it was announced. I think that line puts it into perspective pretty well. On the bright side, I love the fun house queue.

I tried all 3 of the drop towers today. I thought they all gave different enough rides. I saw a few people working their way up to Hershey Tower so the concept seems like a victory for the park.

Reese's Tower was my favorite. Both launches gave huge ejector air at the top. Kisses Tower provided the strongest pop of ejector on launch 1. However, the slowed second launch provided no air at all. Hershey's Tower had a surprisingly forceful launch and had sustained floater at the top. The drop down felt weaker than the other S&S towers I've been on.

I will still take the tiny little Larson tower I rode earlier at Clementon though. Holy balls are all of those Larson towers scary and nuts.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/06/could_a_big_expansion_of_hersh.html

Could a big expansion of Hersheypark be coming?

Plans are afoot for what could be a major expansion of Hersheypark.

"We are currently working through various concepts both internally and with a retained theme park master planning consultant," said Garrett Galllia, Hershey Entertainment & Resorts spokesman, in an emailed response to questions about future possible expansion on the former Parkview Golf Course land.

Now that the Park Boulevard realignment bordering Hersheypark was completed last fall, Hershey Entertainment could look toward expansion on the land remaining from the former Parkview Golf Course property which it owns, along with former pool and ballroom sites.

"I would characterize our planning process as being more towards the beginning than the end - with any actual master planning development being years off in the future," Gallia said.

"As you can imagine, a lot of ideas come and go as part of this process - so there's nothing that we are really able to report as being 'final' at this point," he said.

Hershey Entertainment donated about $9 million worth of land for the Park Boulevard realignment.

Derry Township's winter 2016 newsletter said the road relocation will allow Hersheypark "to expand west to the old swimming pool and ballroom area to develop approximately 38 acres."

The park now totals about 121 acres, said Kathy Burrows, Hersheypark spokeswoman, including the 11-acre ZooAmerica.

Officials said the expansion will generate additional jobs, help attract more tourists, generate more income and amusement taxes, and create more business for hotels, restaurants and retail establishments.

"What really drove the state to participate in funding the project was not that Derry Township had a problem. What drove it was the fact that Hershey Entertainment & Resorts was gaining approximately 38 acres of new land for the Hersheypark expansion. From the state's viewpoint, that was important," said former state Rep. John Payne.

No plans for park expansion have been submitted yet to Derry Township planning commission or supervisors, said Chuck Emerick, township community development director.

Last fall the 5,807-foot Park Boulevard realignment - a project that has been in the works for 10 years - was completed.

The realignment of Park Boulevard takes away a barrier between the park and the former golf course, pool and ballroom land.

The realignment was from the Hershey Entertainment complex entrance on West Derry Road to Ridge Road, and also included a new bridge over Spring Creek, widening of Park Boulevard from Ridge Road to Park Avenue, and a new shared-use sidewalk.

Hershey Entertainment donated about $9 million worth of land for the realignment, and the remaining $9.7 million came from local, state and federal funds.

In the project, the 60-foot bridge over Spring Creek, which was deemed structurally deficient, was replaced with a new 126-foot bridge. In addition, Park Boulevard had poor sight and stopping distances for drivers, authorities said.

Hershey Entertainment closed the Parkview Golf Course in 2005. It bought back the two Hershey Country Club courses and Parkview in 2002 from American Golf, to which it had sold them in 1994.

About 35 of the 130-acre Parkview Golf Course was used to expand the Giant Center parking area about 10 years ago.

Meanwhile, Hersheypark isn't yet saying what it has in store for visitors next year.

"It's a double tip-top secret," Burrows said. Teasers and Information on new rides is posted on the park's Facebook page, she said.

This year the Hershey Triple Tower was added, and Laff Trakk was added in 2015.

In 2014, three new family-oriented rides were added: Cocoa Cruiser in Music Box Way, Tea Cups and Sweet Swing in the Hollow area.

Hersheypark added Shoreline Sprayground in 2013, and in 2012, Skyrush, billed as the park's tallest and fastest coaster.

They install a 300ft+ version of this somewhere in those 38 acres and I will officially be moving to Hershey, PA.

#keeptheintaminhersheyconnectionalive

we liked the food options in Hershey Lodge.

granted, we were staying there, but there's a shuttle to and from front gate, so I'd assume you can likely leave the park, shuttle to the lodge to eat, and then shuttle back to the park.

(the sports themed American food place . . in a dining room themed to an Ice Hockey Rink. . was very good burgers).

Nothing at Hershey will blow you away but they have some decent franchises like Chickie and Pete's, Moe's and Chick Fil A.

We usually end up at Spring Creek Smokehouse though, it's down by Trailblazer.

I second the Spring Creek Smokehouse, the food is pretty good and the portions are big. Plus, they usually have live entertainment while you eat. And make sure you try the Smores Cobbler, it's amazing!