TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I forgot about that, but when we went in October I dont remember there being any seats closed off. I mean we only sat in the front/back rows, but I still don't recall seats still being roped off @ that point.

Went to the park Sunday and was an excellent choice. Between the bad weather up to then and Mother's Day crowds were low. Actually it didn't look sparse to me, just not mobbed, but the rides themselves weren't that crowded. Partially because the park has some capacity and probably because there were more moms and kids than groups of ride warriors. In planning, I was concerned that the break in the weather could cause a crowd but didn't happen. Then it turned out so beautiful I was concerned again. It did rain lightly a little later and got cooler and windy, but in other words a great spring day. As a time to go, the only flaw was no night rides, late in the year is the only time to get some and it not actually leave a park late. My most OMG single ride in this park remains my first night ride on Storm Runner. But I've been noticing a couple years I haven't taken full advantage of springtime crowds, or the lack of them.

Part of the planning was that a shorter opening day would allow doing it as a day trip from Virginia and still be there at open and close (and Sunday would help with traffic through NOVA). I didn't quite make it at open, half an hour late at least. Then I stayed too long towards the front of the park, possibly the longest lines there all day, thinking I was getting some jump on the crowds. Great Bear didn't have that many people but then it's not actually that close to the front and it was running 1 train for at least the morning. Then went to Fahrenheit and got a walk-on and 2 rerides! This was the most painful wait, consistently an hour most of the day, during my other visit 6 years ago (I think it was). Probably should have gone on to Laff Track but I forgot about that. Not sure it was open when I first passed it, later I know it was because it had a Line, I opted no.

Wildcat was rough of course but it is very wild. Airtime bump at the end of a curve? Wacky. Not exactly like Roar at all, I can see now. Rode 3x in a row going past one way and front row shortly later. Rode the Wild Mouse this time, I liked it. The bars across your path with the dips under them, crazy and a little scarie. Lightning Racer was again wonderful. Lightning does usually win, Thunder did once, looked like Lightning's lift was faster to me. But the losing side is always better on racers, if it's a race at all. Rode Comet finally, once in the morning and once later, it's mild but was kind of fun. Still the most intense thing I've ridden with buzz bars (though seat dividers and belts) since Rebel Yell had them. Noticed the old fashioned skid brakes and lots of fresh looking wood.

The biggie for me was of course Skyrush. My 2 morning rides I wasn't sure what to think yet. Seemed like something between El Toro and I305 and having ridden both more it didn't seem to add that much. Later I had a lot of fun on it. I think a thing I like about it is it doesn't seem huge, just overpowered, but then that could be so much I305 talking. The ejector air is definitely over the top, if it had all the speed with a little less pain it wouldn't diminish the enjoyment but it would be less funny. Every row is good and really doesn't change it that much, but as even the front has stronger ejector air than any other coaster's back row I did prefer it. The restraints I found a lot more comfortable than El Toro's when not being ejected, but maybe they don't hold me down as well and make the forces seem even stronger. The trains are huge and cool and if I ranked coasters, the wing seats would probably be the thing that edges this above other Intamins. Without any need to belittle anything else, Amazing ride. In a small space, great setting too, sandwiched between 2 classic rides no less. (Re: the preceeding question, they had one row chained off but I have no idea if this is typical.)

Rode Super Dooper Looper once for a break in the thighcrushing, nice fun ride but how far things have come.

One flat ride, the Whip. Haven't ridden one before but I'm guessing this isn't a good example of this classic. Big cars, more like The Washboard. I did watch the new drop towers and it probably would have been a good time to try a drop tower again with their "choose a thrill" triple towers. These are air-powered too, only the biggest one does the regular wait-for-it HOLY SIMULATED MECHANICAL FAILURE!! thing. I decided I didn't have time to think about it, do or do not. Then I went through the zoo exhibit instead.

After my 10th Skyrush ride, it was getting late and time for the final spurt. Another ride on Great Bear showed again how variable my experience of B&M inverts goes, first ride earlier (2nd row L) was meh, now with 2 trains running mostly empty went for the front row and it was HOT. So much so, had to reride twice 3rd row. (Add:) This may not be the best "ride" of the inverts but the setting is excellent; I had been checking out the supports over the creek earlier.

Never did see them run more than one train on Storm Runner but by this point got a reride anyway, then went around and got a front row and front row reride to end the day with the sun touching the horizon. Awesome but definitely a weird ride, especially the Flying Snake Dive -- a big pop of ejector going into a corkscrew is just bizarre.

Tip: unless you're in the season pass parking, the tram is always less walking, despite what the operators say. It wasn't running when I arrived but my feet thanked me for the gamble on the way out.

Great riding day at one of the most fascinating parks. On my previous trip I did get night rides and water rides were running including the fantastic Coal Cracker. But this time I rode nearly twice as much, 35 times by my best count.

Edited by bill_s

Sounds like a nice day. Love Hershey. I have come around to prefer the front of Skyrush but that back left wing death seat is still quite an experience. Also that Wild Mouse is probably my favorite.

Awesome but definitely a weird ride, especially the Flying Snake Dive -- a big pop of ejector going into a corkscrew is just bizarre.

Absolutely one of the best parts of that ride. It does a really nice job of catching people off guard.

One flat ride, the Whip. Haven't ridden one before but I'm guessing this isn't a good example of this classic. Big cars, more like The Washboard.

If you want a good example of a Whip, go to either Dorney Park or Knoebels. Hershey's Whip stinks.

About how bad is the worst wait for Laff Trak on a typical weekend. Are we talking an hour or well beyond that?

Easily over an hour on a busy day. I haven't made it over to the park yet this season but last year we went there first thing and even at park opening the line was a half hour.

About how bad is the worst wait for Laff Trak on a typical weekend. Are we talking an hour or well beyond that?

Easily over an hour on a busy day. I haven't made it over to the park yet this season but last year we went there first thing and even at park opening the line was a half hour.

It's a good strategy to hit Laff Track first thing and then make your way forward from that end of the park. After Laff Track, you can pretty much walk onto Lightning Racer, Wildcat, and the Mouse since most people haven't made their way into that area of the park yet.

I would be arriving at Hershey in the mid-afternoon based on my travel plan. I fully plan to wait for Laff Trak since it'll be a new coaster for me and just wanted to know about what to expect. I've had to wait almost an hour for the outdoor one at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk a few years back.

I would be arriving at Hershey in the mid-afternoon based on my travel plan. I fully plan to wait for Laff Trak since it'll be a new coaster for me and just wanted to know about what to expect. I've had to wait almost an hour for the outdoor one at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk a few years back.

If that is the case, then you may want to hit up Laff Track later in the evening as families are leaving the park. If you ride it mid-day, then you are probably looking at least an hour wait. Hersheypark has a good app that lists ride wait times, so I would use that as a resource while you're there.

Edited by VegasBaby

If that is the case, then you may want to hit up Laff Track later in the evening as families are leaving the park. If you ride it mid-day, then you are probably looking at an hour wait. Hersheypark has a good app that lists ride wait times, so I would use that as a resource while you're there.

When I was there the end of last summer on a Saturday it was over 2 hours the entire day. We ended up getting in line for it as our last ride of the night and waited about 30 minutes. Once you get inside the indoor part of the queue with the funhouse mirrors it's 15-20 mins. The park is huge with such a stellar collection of rides - don't waste part of your day waiting for LT!! It's a fun but short ride. Definitely hit it up at night.

Does anyone know at the Fast Track merge points is there a worker there to control the line or do you have to just walk into the regular line at the merge point yourself?

There is an employee there.

^^-- that makes it expensive, essentially, not worthless. It could save you over 6 hours in line perhaps on a day that .. you should just turn around and go elsewhere or maybe even home.

• 2 weeks later...

One train on Storm Runner all day. Pretty infuriating. Also, at 11AM, they had the last 4 rows chained off. With a full station. Upon exiting, I asked the reason for it. The response was "when the line is this short, it makes it more efficient." Eek.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

One train on Storm Runner all day. Pretty infuriating. Also, at 11AM, they had the last 4 rows chained off. With a full station. Upon exiting, I asked the reason for it. The response was "when the line is this short, it makes it more efficient." Eek.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was on Stormrunner just around this time today! I could have seen you in line!

I've spent several days in the Hershey area going to Dorney Park and Knoebels. All fantastic trips. I really enjoyed Hersheypark the most and I will be working on a full review later.

Was here at the park today too! I live in Los Angeles and have lived there for the past 9 years, but happened to be visiting my family in NJ this past week and had nothing planned for today so I decided to hit the park with my sister who actually hasn't ever been to Hershey before. I personally hadn't been since Fahrenheit opened back in 2008, shortly before I moved to the west coast, so I was excited to make it back here and check out what I've been missing out on! Had an awesome day but for the sake of keeping this post short cause I'm wiped, I'll just give a couple notes...

- Skyrush was super super fun, although I had forgotten all about the talk (or complaints?) about the comfort of those restraints. All I'll say is that I should've taken my phone out of my pocket and put it in my sisters purse in a cubby because when we got back to the station, the restraint was so tight on my thighs (I guess from the g-forces?) that it quite visibly 'bent' my iPhone ... I was able to bend it back and it still works a-ok though so I guess no harm done

- Like a couple of you who were also there today have said above, Storm Runner was in fact running 1 train, but the wait wasn't anything tragic. The queue was filled to about half way thru the switchbacks that sit right in the middle of Trailblazers helix and it only took about 30 mins. Was kinda surprised it moved so quick for just 1 train, but it's a short coaster so that helped a bit. Still gives an absolute fantastic ride all these years later!

- Laff Trak was a fun little spinning coaster. The wait was only about 15 mins which is easy peasy. I liked where it was placed in the park and how it's sort of juxtaposed against the Wild Mouse right across the midway, which to me are 2 somewhat similar attractions in my eyes (a standard outdoor mouse and an indoor spinning mouse type coaster).

Managed to also get rides on Great Bear, Fahrenheit, and Lightning Racer, which BTW, is still running absolutely fantastic for being 17 years old IMO. Overall it was a great day at the park and of course we couldn't resist popping into Chocolate World on our way out

- Skyrush was super super fun, although I had forgotten all about the talk (or complaints?) about the comfort of those restraints. All I'll say is that I should've taken my phone out of my pocket and put it in my sisters purse in a cubby because when we got back to the station, the restraint was so tight on my thighs (I guess from the g-forces?) that it quite visibly 'bent' my iPhone ... I was able to bend it back and it still works a-ok though so I guess no harm done

Same thing happened to a friend of mine a couple years back on El Toro. Left his brand new iPhone in his front pocket and when we got off the ride the thing was bent.

Can't wait to get back to this Mecca next weekend. Planning on using the preview to my advantage on Friday night so I can spend Saturday enjoying the atmosphere and seeing my niece have an absolute blast on all the kiddy rides. I love Hershey.

Two things. One, does any one know whats going on with the Amphitheater? On may 13, the HP fan club posted a pic of it boarded up on their fb page. I also noticed that they have no shows planned there for this summer, the character quiz show that used to be there is now listed as strolling in the park. Thats a decent sized area of land inside that could be used much better. Maybe a sky screamer type of ride? The only thing is it would look odd to have that many towers in one section of the park. A nice flat ride would be nice for that area of the park and would overall be a great addition. Also I have seen pics that the park is putting up fencing around the old park view golf course. Maybe this hints that the park is getting ready to develop the land?