TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I'll post my photo from yesterday. Those tower sections are very huge. I don't know if it is because I've never realized it with other versions or because it has been awhile since S&S built one.

15385306_10210337785854529_8516345280161318438_o.thumb.jpg.5ba63379a5a696f1baef2721636d67b4.jpg

This turned out to be an interesting Subway run!

The woman and I went to Christmas Candyland this past Monday and had a great time! A few notes -

Noel - The light show thingamajig in The Hollow. It's not the best Christmas light set to music show you'll ever see, but you can walk through the entire show so it's pretty wild to be totally surrounded by the dancing lights. They did a great job with it! Again, nothing super technical, mostly just lights blinking to the beat, but the immersion helps it a lot. Take a ride on the sky ride during a showing!

Sooperdooperlooper - This ride is cold. The tunnel is colder. It's still AWESOME, though!

HOT FRIGGIN CHOCOLATE! - Seriously, if you don't buy the $10.75 souvenir mug with free refills, you must have a short circuit in your brain. The hot chocolate itself is delicious and creamy. In the three-ish hours we spent at the park we went through at least 8 refills. Do the math, that's some cheap hot chocolate. Plus the souvenir mugs are cute with different art work made by children on each mug! Even more still, they donate $1 from every mug sold to a local children's hospital! Thank me later.

Laff Trak - I've been on this model of spinner a few times before (Lagoon, Santa Cruz, etc) so I knew it would be cute and fun enough. Our first ride was with a father and son on the other half and we twirled a bit, never really got spinning. We came back a half hour later and it was just us facing forward to start. The first half of the ride was fun, had a few full 360s in there...then we hit the trick track in the middle of the ride. That got us started, then the whiping right turn into the block brakes before the helix sent us into the goddamn twilight zone! Holy CRAP we were spinning at ludicrous speed! Seriously, we went plaid! We hit the final brakes and spun five more times (that I could count) before the catch bar slowed us down. Both of us were dizzy as hell and laughing our butts off. Moral of the story? Sit two adults facing forward to begin the ride, nobody facing backwards. Enjoy. Or puke, whichever works for you.

Wildcat - HOOOOOO YEAH BABY!!!!!!! I know you dumdums love to hate this ride, but I loooooove to love it. Those Millennium Flyers made this twisted mess of wood a real fun ride! I loved it with the PTC benches but even more so now! We had a bunch of airtime pops, tons of laterals, and plenty of fun! Say what you want, I don't care, but this ride is better than Lightning Racer by a mile.

Dry Gulch Railroad - Nice lighting displays you can't see by just walking around, plus they toot the steam whistle. Yay trains!

Lighting around the park - It's all nice and sparkly! I dunno what else to say about it. Hooray things!

It's definitely a fun event, but I just wish they'd open more of the big rides. Like Skyrush. And Storm Runner. And Fahrenheit. And Great Bear.

But mostly Skyrush.

Skyrush.

Wildcat - HOOOOOO YEAH BABY!!!!!!! I know you dumdums love to hate this ride, but I loooooove to love it. Those Millennium Flyers made this twisted mess of wood a real fun ride! I loved it with the PTC benches but even more so now! We had a bunch of airtime pops, tons of laterals, and plenty of fun! Say what you want, I don't care, but this ride is better than Lightning Racer by a mile.

Thank you. I'll never understand the seething vitriol Wildcat gets around here. While I do enjoy LR more for the racing factor combined with the twisted layout, I really kinda like Wildcat. I've only ridden it a handful of times, but cannot say its a bad ride.

Sounds like a great event, I'd wish they'd open more coasters to motivate me to go.

I don't think Wildcat is that bad, but it's their worst coaster by a mile (and yes, I know Sidewinder exists). I'd have happily given it a ride during Christmas Candylane but Brit's opinion of it is not quite as favorable as mine.

Also yes, I really hope they open some more coasters. They added a new one this year, I'm really hoping for Great Bear next year. I'd even be happy with Comet. Just add something good.

I don't think Wildcat is that bad, but it's their worst coaster by a mile (and yes, I know Sidewinder exists).

100% agree. I don't hate it, but it's not really worth more than one obligatory ride when there are so many better options on which to spend quality coastering time.

I don't think Wildcat is that bad, but it's their worst coaster by a mile (and yes, I know Sidewinder exists).

100% agree. I don't hate it, but it's not really worth more than one obligatory ride when there are so many better options on which to spend quality coastering time.

Also how I feel. Usually I take the obligatory ride right after Fahrenheit because if I ride Lightning Racer first then i'll just skip it on the way back. Not really painful, but the ride is bumpy enough that I can't focus on the good things about this ride (I like the funky layout).

If I wasn't stapled in the station then somehow further stapled during the ride maybe I'd like Wildcat

^I actually found thunderhawk a lot more enjoyable (although I did ride it with its old restraints). It felt a bit rough/jerky in a way that a lot of old woodies do while wildcat was so shaky it gave me a headache (which is a shame as the layout isn't bad with its good pacing and twists).

I rode Thunderhawk in the very front row back in 2012. I thought it was a pretty fun coaster, and I did not think it was too rough at all. The most infuriating thing is the trim at the end which ruins the final airtime hills. Still, I am glad I was able to ride it while it still had the buzz bars.

However, I will say that Thunderhawk and Comet are both on the lower end of intensity compared to other classic wood coasters. I do much prefer Wild One, Santa Cruz Giant Dipper, Thunderbolt, or Phoenix. Especially Phoenix. Even so, I still love old wood coasters, even the less intense ones.

• 2 weeks later...

They are really moving with both Hersheys Triple Tower and Chick-Fil-A construction. If you want to see some video of it feel free to check out our video report from the day after Christmas. I for one love the idea of the Triple Tower and think it'll be a great addition.