TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

It's really weird but I agree. I love the long drops of the tall towers (Like Power Tower), but the smaller S&S drop towers are extremely intense and the one at Indiana Beach had the most extreme airtime I've ever experienced (It put Magnum to shame).

I totally agree about the IB tower, it's crazy fun.

As far as what Hershey Park is doing, I find it to be weird as hell. It's going to look cool, but I don't think all three towers are going to find an audience.

Super excited for Chick-fil-A though!

Just don't go on Sunday!

I think they are a good addition to the park. I know as coaster enthusiasts we get a little jaded when it is not a ground braking roller coaster. I think the general public will like them.

Hmm...interesting concept. Sorry for any repeat sentiment, but I don't have time to comb all the comments now:

After all the coasters, I thought Intamin would have been tapped here for a single tower with multiple experiences. Thing is, the smaller S&S towers can be more intense than the larger ones, which flips the assumption that I'd bet most of the GP would have -- that the small one is more family-oriented. The three towers should look good in an aesthetic row, but I don't think that there're three distinct demographics to support such nuance with the choices. I've often thought that drop towers are binary decisions for a lot of guests: yes or no.

Many kids can and do go from Frog Hoppers to extreme rides like SkyRush as soon as they're tall enough, so I don't quite agree with a stepping stone philosophy. Nevertheless, they should all be decently fun towers.

I think having three towers of varying sizes isn't a bad idea, as it does offer something for all age groups. Kids can work their way up from the short tower to the taller ones.

THIS. Repeated several times for clarity.

I honestly don't see what is so confusing about this addition. I think this is a GREAT addition to Hershey's lineup personally. Instead of just one drop tower, the park is getting THREE.....can't see how this is a bad thing. And I tend to think they knew exactly what they were doing with the 3 choices. Maybe I'm off base and wrong here, but I certainly think that all three towers will have riders, even the much maligned middle one:

80' Tower - Great step-up thrill ride for kids. Adults could ride too, which is especially beneficial if a kid is "on the fence" about riding.

131' Tower - Some people, including some here, have said that the S&S Double Shot towers are the best rides, especially slightly smaller ones. Is that your preferred tower ride from them? Then here you go! Same Double Shot program, but a decent sized jump in height for added thrills.

189' Tower - The biggest tower, and running a Combo mode. Pretty self explanatory here....this is their "extreme" tower. No, it's not 250-300 feet, but it's almost 200 (and other than the Kissing Tower, nothing in the park is higher than 200 feet that I know of) and is near the top of a hill that will provide an illusion of being higher.

Can't wait to give them a ride, as I generally really like these towers, especially the space shot types (big air at the top!)

I have no problem with the addition, it just wasn't what I was expecting from the clues. The middle tower will probably end up being my personal favourite because I love double shots, and one at 130 feet is pretty wild.

(and other than the Kissing Tower, nothing in the park is higher than 200 feet that I know of)

Your #1 steel would like a word with you.

Ummm, I highlighted my quote for you.....Skyrush is listed as a height of 200 feet, so yes, other than Kissing Tower, nothing is above 200 feet in height. Yes I realize the drop is taller, I was specifically speaking of ride heights in the park.

I was excited about this until I learned Flying Falcon was leaving. That was by far my favorite flat at the park, and one of my all time favorite flats anywhere. They are so rare now and I was hoping Hershey was interested in keeping it long term.

I do love the theme and concept of the towers though. The varying heights and experiences is nice.

^ Worlds Of Fun is getting one if you want to go there instead of Hershey?

I would assume that the park will sell it to someone. If Cedar Fair wants these older style rides, I am sure that they could put in a bid so that they could put it in another smaller park like Valleyfair or Michigan's Adventure where it would probably receive decent ridership.

I would assume that the park will sell it to someone. If Cedar Fair wants these older style rides, I am sure that they could put in a bid so that they could put it in another smaller park like Valleyfair or Michigan's Adventure where it would probably receive decent ridership.

Do big parks (Cedar Fair) purchase from other local big parks (Hersheypark) with the intention of moving the item to their park? I can't think of an example where a major US park company has purchased a ride from another major US park company with the intention of moving the ride to one of their parks. I'm sure many exist, but I can't think of any.

^ Very valid question and most likely you are right in that they have not.

But with CF's interest in purchasing the older-style rides from overseas, one would wonder if they would consider buying from a "US competitor" to get what they want?

New for 2017

Flying Falconhawk

The newest attraction at Dorney Park will send you tens of feet in the air, coming within meters of other riders.

Since Flying Condorhawk came from Hersheypark, Steel Force is now essentially Skyrush.

We still have nothing against Knoebels, but come here anyways!

Im excited to find out how the rotating tower is different in experience to a regular combo-tower, so i hope people will report on that since there's absolutely no way i'm able to get to hersheypark inside at least 5 years

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Hershey Tower rotates. It just has circular seating. Unless I missed it in the press release...

Im excited to find out how the rotating tower is different in experience to a regular combo-tower, so i hope people will report on that since there's absolutely no way i'm able to get to hersheypark inside at least 5 years

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Hershey Tower rotates. It just has circular seating. Unless I missed it in the press release...

189 ft Combo Tower with 20 rotating seats

Basically, it does a space shot up and bounces / levels out near the center of the tower, then it moves up to the top of the tower, does one complete seat rotation, then finally turbo drops down and bounces before returning to ground.

What pisses me off the most about this addition is that fact that the circular tower is themed to Hershey candy bars and the square tower is themed to Reese's. C'mon Hershey!

This guy thinks like I do!

I prefer Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to Hershey Bars, so maybe I'm the target demographic for the middle tower?!?!

I was at the park on Saturday and it was running normally in the morning. Around 3 we had a brief downpour and everything closed. I'd say by 3:30 everything was testing again but Skyrush literally CRAWLED up the lift. I'm not sure how it made it through the course of the ride because it went over the lift slower than a snail. Then one train ran full speed. They re- opened and not one single train was loaded full. I also read on a Facebook fan page that it would run the rest of the year through spring of next year with only 1 train due to issues with the hydraulic mechanism on the restraints and that the train that was running would likely not be fully loaded.

I was at the park on Saturday and it was running normally in the morning. Around 3 we had a brief downpour and everything closed. I'd say by 3:30 everything was testing again but Skyrush literally CRAWLED up the lift. I'm not sure how it made it through the course of the ride because it went over the lift slower than a snail.

Wait what? The lift/drop on Skyrush are twice as high as any other hill on the ride. I'm certain the train would make it through the course no matter how fast/slow it went up and over the lift. In fact in testing videos when the ride opened they would inch it over the crest and it made it through the course no problem at all.