TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

[attachment=2]elaine.gif[/attachment]

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG Happy Day!!!!!

StormRunner got the vest restraints!!!!! As did Fahrenheit!

[attachment=1]STORM.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fahr.jpg[/attachment]

Photos are not mine, taken by a user on Hersheypark Connoisseurs FB Group.

Storm Runner just instantly rose in my rankings.

*Breaks jaw from such a wide grin

Great news. Two amazing coasters made even better. Now if only GAdv would give the same treatment to Kingda Ka.

My thoughts exactly. Ka KILLS me. Given me bruises more than once.

I only rode each of these (SR & FH) once and neither of the restraints bothered me to the point where I was in pain (like Ka does to me) but they were pressed against my collarbone pretty snug. I've only ridden Maverick with these and loved how I was able to to really just go all out hands up and not have to brace myself through such an insane ride, so I cannot wait to ride Storm Runner with them. I love Storm Runner so much I am pretty sure it'll be top 5 with the new vests. Its a huge reason I love Maverick so much - that insanity but feeling snug and not being bashed around.

[attachment=2]elaine.gif[/attachment]

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG Happy Day!!!!!

StormRunner got the vest restraints!!!!! As did Fahrenheit!

[attachment=1]STORM.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Fahr.jpg[/attachment]

Photos are not mine, taken by a user on Hersheypark Connoisseurs FB Group.

Storm Runner just instantly rose in my rankings.

When did this happen? I was a week too early.

Awesome news! Those original restraints, while they never made the rides painful, definitely were a bit uncomfortable for taller guys with larger upper–body dimensions like myself. Can't wait to give these a try!

Great news!

I didn't get to ride Fahrenheit, but on my recent trip to Hershey, I rode Storm Runner 3 times. The first time, I was hands-free the entire ride and found it a bit uncomfortable. By my third ride, I had realized that the most comfortable way to ride it (after the launch) was to hold on above the shoulders. These new restraints should improve the ride experience a lot and allow for comfortable, hands-free riding!

I mean, I never had a problem with the way they were before, but I'm glad that the people that did will now have a better experience.

I never had a problem with the old restraints.

Ditto. This is not great news to me. The way the crowd on this forums reacts to various news never ceases to fascinate me. Thunderhawk at Dorney, a ride with meh airtime on the best of days, goes from buzz bars to standard PTC restraints (which still allow a decent amount of wiggle room, at least for me) and everybody flips a shit. Now these two rides, both with fantastic airtime, go from the old OTSR which again at least for me allow for about a finger's width of legitimate "my butt can actually almost leave the seat" space, to these "I WILL CRUSH YOU WITHIN AN INCH OF YOUR LIFE" backpack straps and everybody starts praising Jebus. I do not understand.

I had absolutely no problem getting mucho airtime on Maverick w/ these restraints, that's exactly why I am excited about them. I guess because I'm tall the old restraints sit right on my shoulders/collarbones and causes pain on the transitions. It's my issue with Ka. These new ones feel snug and secure but actually have a little 'give' compared to the hard restraints. They're not like the B&M vest restraints at all imo, those are tight.

People are excited because a great ride just got even better, how is that hard to understand?

^^

Seriously though...I didn't have issues with the old restraints on those two coasters either. But like AJ said, if they make it more comfortable for more guests, it can't be a bad thing, right?

These restraints are much more comfortable than the B&M vests and will be a good add for the two coasters.

Capture.JPG.523be0fc1cdd5d91056d69ae56872a33.JPG

Here comes Dehhhhhbbie Downer

Ditto. This is not great news to me. The way the crowd on this forums reacts to various news never ceases to fascinate me. Thunderhawk at Dorney, a ride with meh airtime on the best of days, goes from buzz bars to standard PTC restraints (which still allow a decent amount of wiggle room, at least for me) and everybody flips a shit. Now these two rides, both with fantastic airtime, go from the old OTSR which again at least for me allow for about a finger's width of legitimate "my butt can actually almost leave the seat" space, to these "I WILL CRUSH YOU WITHIN AN INCH OF YOUR LIFE" backpack straps and everybody starts praising Jebus. I do not understand.

Have you even tried these restraints? They are the same as the old ones except with a soft OTS half that is internally lined with a thin sheet of metal.

I had a problem with the old restraints. Storm Runner is the ONE ride I've found a rattle that was uncomfortable. I haven't ridden Storm Runner in 7 years, so I may not be recalling this correctly or things may have changed since then.

I do clearly remember, however, being thoat chopped several times in the last element of Storm Runner.

Have you even tried these restraints? They are the same as the old ones except with a soft OTS half that is internally lined with a thin sheet of metal.

I had a problem with the old restraints. Storm Runner is the ONE ride I've found a rattle that was uncomfortable. I haven't ridden Storm Runner in 7 years, so I may not be recalling this correctly or things may have changed since then.

I do clearly remember, however, being thoat chopped several times in the last element of Storm Runner.

I'm gauging my reaction off my experience with I305. The old OTSR had plenty of clearance between your shoulders and the bars for people of what you might call "average height" (I can see this being different for taller folks). The I305 straps (aka The Backpack From Hell) actively squish you into the seat the entire ride. Sure they give a little during airtime, but afterwards you feel them retracting and squishing you back down into the seat. I actually kind of hate them a lot. They're maybe ok for a ride or two, but after a full day of riding your shoulders definitely start to feel it. On I305 and Maverick they're necessary for upper body stabilization so you don't wrench your back. Neither of the two at Hershey have intense enough transitions to require that.

Sure they're better than the B&M vests, but that's a very low hurdle to clear. Practically anything beats those vests.

Never had any problem with rattling or throat chopping on Storm Runner, in fact I'd say it's the only Hershey Intamin that still runs as smooth as it ever has.

Sounds like complaining just for the sake of complaining. Everything could be nitpicked to death if you really wanted to. Just enjoy the rides for what they are, and if you don't like them, then don't ride them. I'm just happy parks like Hershey take conscious efforts to try to improve the quality of my visit, even with low ROI investments.

If you are going to be riding Fahrenheit or Storm Runner, I recommend trying the test seats before getting in line for now. The restraints are now a lot more restrictive on who is able to ride.

Now that Intamin makes 10-looper models and other looping launched models w/ just their overhead lapbar restraint it makes me curious how much the conversion to those would cost on these older rides. These soft strap replacements are a nice improvement but seem unnecessary after seeing the videos of their newer rides.

Didn't get a chance to actually ride them with the new restraints yesterday(downfall of chaperoning a field trip and trying to get the kids on as many rides as possible) so I guess I'll have to try and get out there another time.

On a brighter note, got my kid on superdooperlooper for his first inversion coaster(yeah, I know it's SDL, but still, I'm happy) so I guess there is always that bright spot to look at.

The I305 straps (aka The Backpack From Hell) actively squish you into the seat the entire ride. Sure they give a little during airtime, but afterwards you feel them retracting and squishing you back down into the seat. I actually kind of hate them a lot.
actively squish you into the seat
actively

Except for there's literally nothing active about these restraints?¿ They have no active retraction system built in. If you had inches of room in the old restraints, you should have plenty of room in the new ones too. It's all dependent on how tight YOU make it though.

While the vests are bolted to the OTS bar, there's room/extra fabric between where the straps meet, and where they're attached to the bar. The seatbelt latch is attached to this extra fabric.

Cia61srUkAEd7B-.jpg.09229c58755e6d63b723b9729b391cde.jpg

From HP Twitter

With the old restraints, since they were a fixed size, the seatbelt was a great way for ops to tighten the restraint because of the leverage. With the new ones, tightening the seatbelt or loosening it has a massive effect on how tight the vest is, and much less so on how tight the OTS bar is. So when ops are checking restraints and they pull down on the seatbelt, they tighten the vest, and not necessarily the restraint.

TL;DR loosen the seatbelt