TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Skyrush is still one of my favorite rides. I have no problem with the thigh crushing restraints and I love all the ejector airtime! I am headed up to the park for the Beyonce concert and hope to get a few rides in at the park!

The family and I will be going to Hershey for 2 hours on Friday, then all day Saturday and Sunday. I have a few questions.

Which rides should I go to at opening for the 2 days?

How would the crowds be?

How long are the lines on average and what's usually the longest line?

Is there a specific way to go about riding the rides?

I'd like to ride all the coasters, including the kiddie coaster, so any plan would be helpful. Thanks!

If you are staying at one of the Hershey properties, you can take advantage of the 1 hour early entry and get a bunch of rides on Skyrush, SDL, and Comet (some mornings it's like ERT on those rides). At park opening, I would head straight to the back of the park to hit Laff Track and Wild Mouse, and then move on to Fahrenheit and Storm Runner. Laff Track and Fahrenheit typically have the longest lines in the park, so once you knock those out, you shouldn't have bad waits on the other coasters. A lot of people go straight for Skyrush at opening, but then the line dies down later in the day. If it's not too cold, the log flume (Coal Cracker) is a lot of fun. There are a ton of good flats too, our family's favorites are the Flying Falcon (Huss condor), Frontier Flyers (flying scooters), Music Express, and The Claw (swinging pendulum). There are also a bunch of old school classic flats like the Whip and the Scrambler.

Going for two days (plus the preview night), you should have more than enough time to hit everything you want to ride and get multiple re-rides. The park is huge and has so many ride options. It's one of my favorite parks in the country and you should have a great time.

The family and I will be going to Hershey for 2 hours on Friday, then all day Saturday and Sunday. I have a few questions.

How would the crowds be?

I'd like to ride all the coasters, including the kiddie coaster, so any plan would be helpful. Thanks!

Glad I looked at their website....because they aren't open this weekend! They were only open for Springtime In The Park the past two weekends.

You may want to alter your plans so that you and your family aren't disappointed.

Thanks to EastCoastKid for posting the link to the discounts though!

Capture.JPG.215715ea589c7d648ef408bc5d0ffdd4.JPG

Springtime In The Park is over so HP won't be open until April 29th.

Capture.JPG.74e05ab9813dd68dbbd86e629c8a3f9e.JPG

The Hershey Kiss out front should have told you so.

How would the crowds be?

Glad I looked at their website....because they aren't open this weekend! They were only open for Springtime In The Park the past two weekends.

You may want to alter your plans so that you and your family aren't disappointed.

Thanks to EastCoastKid for posting the link to the discounts though!

I meant the last weekend in April. Whoops.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of visiting Hersheypark for the first time on Sunday for my company picnic and I immediately fell in love with the park. It really has great collection of roller coasters and unfortunately I did not get to ride all of them. It was nice having the park to just my company and one or two others as the lines were relatively short; however, when I first got there my friends and I went to Skyrush and waited nearly an hour. I think they were running one train, and they may have added a second sometime while we were in line, but operations on the ride were so slow it was tough to tell. One of my coworkers who wasn't far ahead of me in the line said some lady on her train started freaking out when the ride started moving. The operator stopped the train near the bottom of the lift hill to let the lady off. It was strange to see a ride which normally rockets up the lift move at a snail's pace. I should have gone with my instinct and saved Skyrush for later, as the line died down and I could have gotten on some of the rides I missed. Oh well...on to the rides!

Skyrush - 10/10 - First ride was in the back, second in the front and my third and fourth were also in the back. My first ride was kind of a blur, and it felt a little underwhelming, but after a few more rides I realized just how incredible this ride is. There is so much insane airtime. The first drop got scarier each time I rode. I haven't been afraid to put my hands up on a ride since I was a child. During my last two rides I tried to put my hands up on the first drop, but I was yanked out of my seat near the top and I knew the scariest moment was yet to come. I cannot wait to get back and ride this again. I do agree that the restraints could be much, much better, but it really did not diminish the ride experience for me at all.

Storm Runner - 9/10 - One ride in front, one two from the back and one three from the back (I can't remember how many rows there were). This was a near perfect launch coaster. There is some great airtime both cresting the top and going down the top hat, and the zero-g roll/flying snake dive combo is incredible. Add in the good G's and crazy, awesome ending, and you have a real winner here. I'd give Storm Runner 10/10 if it was a tiny bit longer!

Fahrenheit - 9/10 - I've read some fairly negative reviews of this ride and I really don't get it. I rode twice in the back seat. I thought the ride had some great G's, fantastic airtime and some of the best corkscrews I've experienced. The exit of the Norwegian loop provided some surprisingly good air and the airtime hill had some nice ejector air. The Cobra Roll was just okay, but at least there was no head banging! I would really love to see some more of these coasters from Intamin in the future.

Great Bear - 7/10 - I rode once in the back. I felt that the ride had a pretty good layout, but wasn't as intense as I was hoping. I liked the pre-drop section after the lift, and the turn after the zero-g roll was a nice touch. I thought the zero-g roll was nice and snappy, but it wasn't quite as good as Montu's or any of the BTRs.

Sidewinder - 6/10 - I've got to say that I liked the restraints on this Boomerang. Otherwise the ride was pretty standard and left me a bit dizzy afterwards, which in my book is actually somewhat of a good thing.

Log Ride (I can't remember the name) - 6/10 - This was a pretty solid flume. It had some decent speed between the first and second lifts, and I managed to get a friend to ride who claimed after they rode Comet earlier in the day that they were done with rides for the whole day.

Mine Train Thing (Again, I can't remember the name) - 3/10 - We only rode because of the aforementioned friend, and it was good to see her get on a coaster that was at her pace. With a little determination, I believe I could get her comfortable with coasters!

Unfortunately, I missed out on Super Dooper Looper, Lightning Racers, Comet, Wildcat and Laff Track. Hopefully I can get back to Hershey later this summer, but there are a lot of other parks I still want to hit. I would say there's always next year...but Skyrush...and Storm Runner...and Fahrenheit. What an amazing collection of Intamin.

^^ Shame you missed SDL and Lightning Racer, besides the Intamins (and Great Bear) they are two of the best coasters in the park. Sounds like you had fun though! Skyrush and Storm Runner are awesome.

I'll be at the park this Friday and Saturday for my first time ever! Friday I will go alone and Saturday I have someone joining me, then we plan to go to Knoebels on Sunday. If anyone wants to hang out on Friday, message me!

I plan to hit Fahrenheit, then probably Laff Track and then Skyrush (whatever my third coaster of the day is will be my #150, so it would be awesome if that coaster was Skyrush )

Looks like I get to chaperone my son's Music in the Parks field trip to Hershey Park in May. Went last year when the school went(not as a chaperone, which was a surprise to my ex) and I can't wait to head back there again. I really enjoy the park and I can't wait to get on them coasters again... along with some flats because I'm sure the kids will want to go on some.

Separate side note, I do love seeing Bill always talking up Knoebels.. it makes my heart happy

I'm glad someone appreciates my hard work.

Rain policy is pretty strict. They will close all 3 Intamins with steady rain on the way. Then Great Bear closes in a steady rain. Wooden Coasters usually stay open unless it is a bad storm. Obviously Laff Trak stays open.

Hershey's weather policy across the board is ridiculous. But there's a better park an hour and a half away that doesn't care at all.

I was able to visit Hersheypark on Friday, April 29, and had an interesting day. The weather wasn't adequate at first. When I arrived, Fahrenheit, Skyrush, Storm Runner, Lightning Racer, Trailblazer, Wild Mouse among others were closed. However, the temperature rose a bit, and the rain diminished over time. The lines were bad at the beginning of the day despite the weather because of the lack of running rides, as well as most open coasters only running one train. Over time, the lines changed from over an hour to all walk-ons, so that was nice. By the time I left, the only two rides that never opened were Fahrenheit and Lightning Racer; two credits I'm not happy about missing, but life goes on. Now, onto the rides.

Skyrush X5- I've heard so much talk about how much the restraints hurt, and they certainly weren't comfortable. But I simply looked past that, and at the amazing ride Skyrush is. The airtime is abundant and strong, and the transitions whip you around in all the right ways. I waited an hour at the beginning of the queue for the ride to open after the rain had halted, and man, this ride was worth it. Definitely makes my top five!

Storm Runner X4- The surprise of Hershey. This ride really provided some airtime I was not expecting, and the launch was far from average. The elements were very snappy and quick, and I left the ride thinking: "WOW!". Storm Runner is an AWESOME ride. I really enjoyed the four rides I got on Friday, and I believe it is one of the most underrated rides in America.

Wildcat X1- I've heard that this ride is dreadfully rough, but luckily I must have received a good ride. It was rough, but not painfully rough for me. The airtime was pretty decent too for such a hated GCI. Although it's nothing to label as "greatness", I didn't hate Wildcat. In fact, if I had time, I would've given it a second ride.

Great Bear X3- Okay, so funny story: I was completely unaware of the possibility of being soaked with track lubricants after lots of rain (Yes, I do know there were large signs posted throughout the queue). So, a couple of friends and I rode it in the morning, just after heavy rain. We were SOAKED in track lubricants, and I honestly at that point was yelling aloud for the lift hill to end. However, even throughout the ride itself, I was continuously sprayed with...whatever it was, and I got off with heavily stained pants. I did, however, give the ride two more re-rides, and it was a load of fun. The first half was especially great, but the second half felt like it was just wandering in a way.

Sooperdooperlooper X4- This ride never had a line at any point in the day except perhaps in the early morning. It was a nice, old school coaster that everyone in my group enjoyed. Schwarzkopf loops are always forceful, and Sooperdooperlooper was no exception.

Sidewinder X1- Yes, it has vest restraints. No, it still wasn't a fun ride.

Wild Mouse X2- Just because it was a walk on. Just your average wild mouse.

Laff Trakk X3- One of the only rides with a wait throughout the day, at least until the end. I got several rides due to the short line towards closing time, and it was a pretty fun ride. Extremely smooth too.

The Claw X1- Don't like it as much as Huss Giant Frisbees, but still a unique experience. I did witness someone hurl just a few seats over, so that was lovely.

Comet X2- My last coaster of the day. It wasn't smooth exactly, but it certainly isn't a rough ride (Especially in a non-wheel seat). I liked the layout of this coaster, and there was bit of airtime thrown into my two rides as well. Left me feeling quite satisfied with my visit to Hershey.

To my disappointment, Fahrenheit and Lightning Racer never did open. They are certainly two credits I would like to have, but I guess that's what future visits are for! Overall, I had a fun time at Hersheypark, and look forward to heading back sometime soon!

Rain policy is pretty strict. They will close all 3 Intamins with steady rain on the way. Then Great Bear closes in a steady rain. Wooden Coasters usually stay open unless it is a bad storm. Obviously Laff Trak stays open.

This is inaccurate. When it first starts to rain, Skyrush, Storm Runner, Cocoa Cruiser, and Wild Mouse will close. If it gets to heavy rain the other roller coasters will close, except for Laff Trakk. If there is lightning in the area, rides will closed based on the distance. This gives the park time to clear the water attractions and tall / hard to reach rides before the storm really hits.

As for their return policy due to weather, the website currently says:

"There is no need to let the threat of rain in the forecast keep you away! Hersheypark remains open during inclement weather conditions such as rain, wind, and lightning. During these conditions, Hersheypark offers a variety of indoor activities including entertainment shows, dining options, shopping, game arcades, exhibits at ZooAmerica, as well as rides under cover while you wait for the weather to clear. In the event the inclement weather conditions cause our major rides and attractions to close for a continuous 60 minutes, a Return Visit Voucher will be issued for a return visit for the same current operating season. Please present your ticket stub or receipt of purchase to the Guest Services building located outside of the main entrance of Hersheypark to receive your Return Visit Voucher. Hersheypark makes every effort to reopen the rides and attractions as quickly and safely as possible after the inclement weather conditions cease. The Hersheypark Mobile App features a real-time listing of closed rides and ride wait times."

A little update the Mobil app says the kissing tower is closed along with flying falcon Any one know why?

The park was closed today so it probably doesn't mean much if anything.

On a sidenote, Skyrush, Looper, and RXCC now have complementary lockers near their entrances. The lockers at Skyrush/Looper allow you to store your items for 2 hours and 20 minutes for free and the ones at RXCC for an hour. So far they have been very convenient to use and allow you to not worry about losing something in the bag drop or on the ride!

elaine.gif.a7afae41ca07b71071230327ff55f3db.gif

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG Happy Day!!!!!

StormRunner got the vest restraints!!!!! As did Fahrenheit!

STORM.thumb.jpg.092d5e10bc27e7bd6bfbddcfad3a8f2f.jpg

Fahr.thumb.jpg.529a9d99901db57b73e221084452a90b.jpg

Photos are not mine, taken by a user on Hersheypark Connoisseurs FB Group.

Storm Runner just instantly rose in my rankings.