TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^Thanks! I'll save those

Also, props if anyone has any pizza joint suggestions in Philly or New York. I pizza!

Where in NY will you be staying?

Actually won't be staying in NYC but we're planning at least one day trip there. I'll be in the Philly area for the bulk of my trip.

I see my fellow New Yorker already beat me too it but yes all those places he listed are the top pizza places in NYC.

Ah this brings back memories to Springtime in the Park 2013. Skyrush was not open for that as well and got its "axles" fixed as people claimed...It really isn't a surprise to me it's not ready yet. Hersheypark has so little down time in season because they take the utmost care of coasters in the offseason. This is likely just another case of that.

^ Guess you missed my very next sentence where I said "Hershey is wonderful regardless." And as Strz mentioned, he hasn't been to the park since Skyrush was built, so ostensibly, he's already ridden those other rides and wants the King.

Edit: My sentence "Skyrush is all that is good" isn't me saying it's the only good ride in the park. Three of Hershey's coasters are in my top 10. I was just laying on the hyperbole because I love Skyrush more than I love some family members.

Didn't come "here" to be a hater! Just posting my disappointment! It's a quick/last minute trip with the family from NJ, so "I'll survive"/not rescheduling. "But it's a nice park, blah! blah! blah!"......yes, yes yes, but I was looking forward to hitting up this coaster!

If it's your only opportunity to go then I understand, but if you can postpone, do so. Skyrush is all that is good.

Um, a pretty good old-school B&M, a classic Schwarzkopf, a historic wooden coaster, a kick-butt Intamin launched coaster, and the best set of racing coasters in the US aren't good? My goodness, you're picky.

Yes sir Mr. Little League baseball! I LOVE parks, etc.....however- I'm basically a "hit up the big boys" kinda' guy, and I'm good!

For example:

- SFGA: (3) musts for me are: Nitro, El Toro, and Kingda Ka (in that order), then Zumanjaro, Batman, and Bizarro....everything else, whatever!

- BGW: Griffon, Verboten, Apollo's and I'm good- and sure, Alpengieist if we must....yes, beautiful park- blah! blah! blah!

- King's Dominion: Intimidator, Volcano, Flight of Fear, Dominator.....yup, I'm good!

Shall I continue? Or I think you see a trend here......

Ok- guess I am picky!

So this is completely hearsay but seems Skyrush is the coaster that is in fact getting the soft I305/Maverick restraints. This would explain the delay in its opening. I'm on the fence about it since just having the lapbar provides the true terror but I think with OTSR I might like Skyrush a bit more, at least giving me the option of not white knuckling that monster.

So this is completely hearsay but seems Skyrush is the coaster that is in fact getting the soft I305/Maverick restraints. This would explain the delay in its opening. I'm on the fence about it since just having the lapbar provides the true terror but I think with OTSR I might like Skyrush a bit more, at least giving me the option of not white knuckling that monster.

I really hope this isn't true as I love the fear on that coaster!

Nothing beats it's first season though. I talked my daughter into riding it (Oh just get on it has no loops) but I still remember while she was screaming "DADDY DADDY DADDDDDDYY", I was thinking "Jesus Christ if I'm scared as hell, what is she thinking????"

Edited by deguy123

I just don't know about this one. Not saying you're wrong cause you could have your sources but it just seems odd that they would redesign the entire train restraints 4 years after it opens. Especially with all the changes they have already done to it. Guess we will wait and see!

Im still set on Storm Runner receiving them if any so we will see this weekend

^trains have been testing/running on Stormrunner, photos are floating around. Same old restraints. I don't think it's strange that Skyrush would get an adjustment, it has probably the most complained about restraints in the entire industry.

Guess I'll never feel "that pain".....SMH!

Yeah... if that's true, I honestly don't know how I feel about it. I only had one "bad" ride out of four I took on it, but throwing on the soft vest restraint seems like it would take away half of the fun of being wildly ejected left and right. I guess we will see when the ride opens up.

You know what guys?

As I said it was completely hearsay and I just realized its April Fools. So there you have it.

I'm not saying its not happening, but I am saying its April Fools today.

(I am still gunning for Storm Runner to get them)

Edited by boldikus

This has nothing to do with anything but I would kill for the opportunity to ride Skyrush with the same trains as Millennium Force / Superman before they ruined them. It'll never happen but that would be the greatest thing ever.

You know what guys?

As I said it was completely hearsay and I just realized its April Fools. So there you have it.

I'm not saying its not happening, but I am saying its April Fools today.

(I am still gunning for Storm Runner to get them)

You got me

As I sit here at this giant disguise of a retail store....mixed in with some who cares "attractions"....looking out the window of some yellow-tracked coaster! Unreal! Sorry I will miss my first ride on this coaster!

Don't worry guys, Skyrush sucks anyway

... But to be fair I'll probably keep riding until I figure out how to make myself like it. It worked for Magnum Xl 200 after like 15 years.

Ha ha! You suck too!!!!!

Some comments on my trip to Hershey Park this weekend (Saturday, April 2nd):

- Arrived at the park at 9:30am, and although the park seemed to have a good crowd- no where near what a Saturday in the summer would be like!

In terms of the Intamin Collection:

- To this day, I still find it amazing how the park can "shove" coasters into their property!

- First ride of the day was Fahrenheit (I believe Intamin's one and only vertical lift coaster?).....I enjoyed it! (1st time on it) That said- it was a station walk-on, and if I had to spend 1 hour plus to get on it in the middle of the summer.....perhaps I'd be a little disappointed! I'm surprised that more park's this size/limited space haven't installed any of these? Are they cost prohibited? Is there a competitor that does them better? Capacity issues?

- Next, Storm Runner- still lots of fun after "all these years".....I still can't believe that you can walk underneath the launch track; I love the fact that you can stand alongside the launch; how come there are so few of these out there? I believe this was one of the first "Accelerator Coaster with Inversions" made by Intamin?- why aren't there many of them around? I think that they are a lot of fun, and wish my home park (SFGA) had a similar type of ride, to round out their collection

- Skyrush- Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!! Couldn't wait, as I have heard SO MUCH about this ride- and I've never been on it! So my thoughts on it? Wait for it, wait for it.......

Not open right now......ugh!

The woodies:

- Overall comment would be that I appreciate the effort in making sure the trains/cars/seats have the most comfortable cars/padded seats as you can get!

- Least favorite of the three would be The Wildcat: feels like "such a fight" for the train to get around that track! Certainly better than my 1st ride (pre- Millennium Flyer trains), but overall ride was an ehhhh.....too bad, as the location, 1st drop which is elevated on a hill, layout are all decent

- Lightning Racer: I appreciate the design, dual tracks that "interact" with each other, etc......but when it is all said and done, my take on it vs. the "rankings" it receives is way off base- just not my thing I guess (not knocking it so no need to bash/defend please! just sharing my thoughts!!!)

- Comet: I thought this was the best of the bunch! (go figure!).....lots of fun, smooth ride! I had low expectations, but clearly they take good care of this thing!

The Rest:

- Laff Trakk- 5 minute walk-on (it was early in the day!), and I enjoyed this addition! I'm not a "spinning" guy....so the spinning elements were "just right" for me! (and well-done, without making you sick!).....nice addition, but like Fahrenheit, I'd hate to be waiting one plus hour to get on this thing!

- The Great Bear: looks like the GP LOVES this thing.....the best part was the mini helix after the lift! The rest of it was "fine".....nice to have in the park, and it maximizes the heck out of the terrain!

- Trailblazer: so the longest line (for us) of the day (30 minutes)......and best described by my daughter's friend: when we hit the brakes, she screamed out, "Whhhhatttt? That's it?" Well said!

- Sidewinder: no way, not going on it! So my daughter and her friend went on line, I took a "pass" as I learned that there were no free aspirin at the exit! So I am sitting on a bench looking at this thing, and said "the hell with it!" Not too bad of a wait, and when I saw the restraints, I was like "when maybe it won't be so bad!" Props to Hershey for not giving up on this thing, and replacing the trains (since my last visit).....all and all, a pleasant surprise! And no headache!

- SooperDooperLooper: like Sidewinder, lots of props to the Hershey for replacing the trains since my last visit.....all in all, an enjoyable ride, for what it is! My daughter (middle school) got a kick out of the loop....kinda' like seeing a payphone or the "yellow pages"- meaning, like- "what was that?" I did my best to explain that "back in the day" there were no such things as loops, well- I sounded old and we ended the conversation!

- Wild Mouse: what is there to say? It is a wild mouse, always fun! (especially with no wait!)

- Coal Cracker: even though it wasn't the warmest of days (and lots of wind), this was open and we went on it! All good for me.....

Flats:

- I didn't go on any (my daughter and her friend went on a bunch), but anyone who has been to Hershey knows- this park has a great collection of flats that are well-maintained, and what differentiates the park from others.....when my kids were much younger, this was the perfect park for us! I love how the flats/kiddie rides are dispersed everywhere vs. "one section" of the park, so to say

Bottom line:

- I love the setting/charm of Hershey

- A true family-park, which has the right amount of "thrills" mixed in (and by "thrills".....the right type/level for a family park)

- It totally sucks that Skyrush wasn't running at this point in the season (as I highly doubt I plan on heading back to Hershey anytime soon)

- Too bad SF doesn't have the ability/capital/revenue stream to keep their parks in this sort of condition

- I am amazed how they use every inch of space to maximize everything- especially their Intamin collections!

Also, props if anyone has any pizza joint suggestions in Philly or New York. I pizza!

Manhattan: Lombardi's

Brooklyn: L&B Spumoni Gardens

Staten Island: Denino's

I may or may not have planned a quick trip to NYC just so we could go to Lombardi's again.

I really hope this isn't true as I love the fear on that coaster! Nothing beats it's first season though. I talked my daughter into riding it (Oh just get on it has no loops) but I still remember while she was screaming "DADDY DADDY DADDDDDDYY", I was thinking "Jesus Christ if I'm scared as hell, what is she thinking????"

LMAO!!

Don't worry guys, Skyrush sucks anyway

... But to be fair I'll probably keep riding until I figure out how to make myself like it. It worked for Magnum Xl 200 after like 15 years.

Eat something! You need to grow some meat on those bony thighs SkinnyBill!