TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I thought I had heard via Screamscape that only Storm Runner would receive them, but I do not remember exactly. Frankly, I thought both rides are fine without.

On Laff Trakk, Laff Trakk was a fantastic ride. I know it did not spin much but I thought it was cool how in a helix-y part I was pointed down the whole time. The scenery and queue line were amazing, and I would definitely ride it again.

• 2 weeks later...
Also see: Skyrush.

Every time Skyrush slows down at the top of the lift hill I cry a little on the inside, mourning what once was.

Except for the fact that I couldn't notice even the slightest difference in the rest of the ride (except for the lift slowdown itself, of course.) IIRC that particular modification was done not to address rider complaints, but because the wheels' axles were getting fatigue cracks way earlier than they should have. Also, something I noticed is that they changed the restraints on only one of the trains to the softer padding (train 2, I believe.) Bizarrely, the increased discomfort from the restraints themselves seemed to make the ride a more intense experience. (Train 2 could also have had a bunch of new wheels that were slowing it down because they weren't worn in, now that I think about it.) And, if your memories were of riding the coaster earlier in the morning, you have to also factor in that all coasters take time to warm up: When they've been sitting overnight, the wheel lubricants cool down and their viscosity increases to something like peanut butter. After enough runs, the friction generated from the trains, the oil is warmed up by early to mid-afternoon so that it's running at full speed. (The colder it is, the longer it will take to do so; and it's usually colder during the beginning and end of the season, where operating hours are shorter which means the coaster runs fewer times to warm up.)

Only those who rode in 2012 know what it was like. Compare the speed at the top of the lift in Robb's video from 2012 to one from the park a year later.

I just played them at the exact same time in sync with each other, and the speed in both videos seem nearly identical. Other than the part at the lift hill, it looks like the newer video might be microscopically faster. And I rode it in 2012 and 2014, and I didn't notice any difference in real life.

Really the only difference the full fast lift had was making the ride 2 seconds shorter IMO and the ejector air in the back seat was absolutely mind blowing, which it still is now anyway so why not make the ride 2 seconds longer Been on the coaster more than 300 times since its opening so you could take my word for it, but you don't have to

I'm a Laff Trakk fan, though right now it's generating obscene wait times. I'd happily wait a good half hour for it though, it's fun!

I really thought Laff Track was well done. Although it doesn't spin much (which I don't mind) it was fun and I had a good laugh.

I haven't been on Laff Trakk yet. Can anyone give me a visual for where a 30 minute or less wait time would be? I know on all the other rides about how long it'll take from just eyeballing the queue.

If you see people outside the "funhouse" (the indoor queue area with the crazy mirrors), it'll be more than 30 minutes.

Thinking about going to Hersheypark for the first time this summer - is there a big difference between the crowds on a Friday vs. Saturday from June through August? Feasible to do all major rides in one day? Deciding if worth it to burn a vacation day.

Thinking about going to Hersheypark for the first time this summer - is there a big difference between the crowds on a Friday vs. Saturday from June through August? Feasible to do all major rides in one day? Deciding if worth it to burn a vacation day.

If you get there early and go to the low capacity rides like Fahrenheit first, and follow a good schedule, the lines shouldn't be a problem if you know what you're doing. I usually like to go to Fahrenheit first, and do the rides near the center of the park. Then I like to go to Great Bear, then go to the other rides near the front of the park. Then I wait a while, eat, or take videos or pictures, then go to the back at the park when most of the crowds are at the water park. It also depends on what rides you want to do. If you want to get every coaster credit, you could definitely get it done in one day easily. If you want to go on water rides (Coal Cracker is one of the best log flumes I've been on), or flat rides, it will be a little bit more difficult. But it can still be done in one day. If it's possible, I would recommend getting the Preview Plan. This lets you get into the park 2.5 hours before the park closes on one evening, and then you get the whole day afterwards. This lets you do the rides at the front of the park while most of the crowds are near the back of the park. If you do the Preview Plan, you can do everything done with no problem. I've been going to this park for almost 10 years since I was very small, and this is what has worked for my family the most. This is one of the best parks in the country, and I hope you have a great time!

If you get there really, really early I'd actually go to Laff Trakk before Farenheit but do those #1 and #2. Knock out the Mouse too if the line is manageable though they do a better job at moving people through that ride than most parks do.

So headed out to Hershey for the weekend, download the app, and see (on the app) that "Skyrush is not quite ready to spring into action this weekend"......go figure- as I haven't been to the park since it has been built! Urrrrrrrr.......

If you get there early and go to the low capacity rides like Fahrenheit first, and follow a good schedule, the lines shouldn't be a problem if you know what you're doing. I usually like to go to Fahrenheit first, and do the rides near the center of the park. Then I like to go to Great Bear, then go to the other rides near the front of the park. Then I wait a while, eat, or take videos or pictures, then go to the back at the park when most of the crowds are at the water park. It also depends on what rides you want to do. If you want to get every coaster credit, you could definitely get it done in one day easily. If you want to go on water rides (Coal Cracker is one of the best log flumes I've been on), or flat rides, it will be a little bit more difficult. But it can still be done in one day. If it's possible, I would recommend getting the Preview Plan. This lets you get into the park 2.5 hours before the park closes on one evening, and then you get the whole day afterwards. This lets you do the rides at the front of the park while most of the crowds are near the back of the park. If you do the Preview Plan, you can do everything done with no problem. I've been going to this park for almost 10 years since I was very small, and this is what has worked for my family the most. This is one of the best parks in the country, and I hope you have a great time!

What about getting a two-day pass? That's what I was planning on doing to make sure I could get everything done plus rerides. I wouldn't be able to preview because I'd be going all day Friday and Saturday anyway, but if I just went on Saturday I could preview on Friday. I'm talking about summer opening weekend, BTW. I have no idea how busy the park might be so I figured I'd feel better if I had two days at the park, but I'm open to other suggestions. If I only did one day, I could probably fit in another theme park that weekend. I'm already planning Knoebel's for Sunday but there are other parks in the area that I've never been to, like Dorney.

What about getting a two-day pass? That's what I was planning on doing to make sure I could get everything done plus rerides. I wouldn't be able to preview because I'd be going all day Friday and Saturday anyway, but if I just went on Saturday I could preview on Friday. I'm talking about summer opening weekend, BTW.

Remember, you get a few hours to play in the park on the night before your ticket is valid.

So headed out to Hershey for the weekend, download the app, and see (on the app) that "Skyrush is not quite ready to spring into action this weekend"......go figure- as I haven't been to the park since it has been built! Urrrrrrrr.......

If it's your only opportunity to go then I understand, but if you can postpone, do so. Skyrush is all that is good. And although Hershey is a wonderful place regardless, I would be miserable if I was in the park looking at Skyrush and being unable to hop on.

What about getting a two-day pass? That's what I was planning on doing to make sure I could get everything done plus rerides. I wouldn't be able to preview because I'd be going all day Friday and Saturday anyway, but if I just went on Saturday I could preview on Friday. I'm talking about summer opening weekend, BTW. I have no idea how busy the park might be so I figured I'd feel better if I had two days at the park, but I'm open to other suggestions. If I only did one day, I could probably fit in another theme park that weekend. I'm already planning Knoebel's for Sunday but there are other parks in the area that I've never been to, like Dorney.

My personal advice to you would be to do a two day pass for Hershey and skip Dorney, unless you're crazy about waterparks. Wildwater Kingdom at Dorney blows Hershey's Boardwalk out of the water (pun intended?). Hershey also has so many tourist options in the surrounding areas, like the Hershey Gardens, Chocolate World (duh), and the trolley tour. If you've never been to the area, it's really stunning in the summertime and you would be better off doing the park and some of those activities.

Just my two cents!

And oh yeah. Skyrush. That's all.

If it's your only opportunity to go then I understand, but if you can postpone, do so. Skyrush is all that is good.

Um, a pretty good old-school B&M, a classic Schwarzkopf, a historic wooden coaster, a kick-butt Intamin launched coaster, and the best set of racing coasters in the US aren't good? My goodness, you're picky.

^ Guess you missed my very next sentence where I said "Hershey is wonderful regardless." And as Strz mentioned, he hasn't been to the park since Skyrush was built, so ostensibly, he's already ridden those other rides and wants the King.

Edit: My sentence "Skyrush is all that is good" isn't me saying it's the only good ride in the park. Three of Hershey's coasters are in my top 10. I was just laying on the hyperbole because I love Skyrush more than I love some family members.

I'll be visiting Hersheypark on a weekend in late July this year, half day on Friday and a full day on Saturday. Though I'm sure the park will be mobbed, can anyone give some estimates of queues for the coasters, as well as water and flat rides? Also, do any rides consistently have manageable queues?

My personal advice to you would be to do a two day pass for Hershey and skip Dorney, unless you're crazy about waterparks. Wildwater Kingdom at Dorney blows Hershey's Boardwalk out of the water (pun intended?). Hershey also has so many tourist options in the surrounding areas, like the Hershey Gardens, Chocolate World (duh), and the trolley tour. If you've never been to the area, it's really stunning in the summertime and you would be better off doing the park and some of those activities.

Just my two cents!

And oh yeah. Skyrush. That's all.

Yess!! I definitely think I would prefer plenty of rerides on Skyrush than anything at Dorney, really. I'm not a huge fan of waterparks and I'm not sure how warm it will be in late April anyway. From your two cents, it sounds like my plan of buying a two-day ticket is the best one.

Also, props if anyone has any pizza joint suggestions in Philly or New York. I pizza!

I can't believe it's already going to be April tomorrow. I'll be flying out in less than two weeks!

P.S. Friday, April 29 I don't think my friend will be joining me, so I could use some company if anyone was planning to go that day!

Edited by RAWKIN_coaster38

^ Guess you missed my very next sentence where I said "Hershey is wonderful regardless." And as Strz mentioned, he hasn't been to the park since Skyrush was built, so ostensibly, he's already ridden those other rides and wants the King.

Edit: My sentence "Skyrush is all that is good" isn't me saying it's the only good ride in the park. Three of Hershey's coasters are in my top 10. I was just laying on the hyperbole because I love Skyrush more than I love some family members.

Remember kids, always proof read.

(Yes I say this often as a teacher)

^Thanks! I'll save those

Also, props if anyone has any pizza joint suggestions in Philly or New York. I pizza!

Where in NY will you be staying?

Actually won't be staying in NYC but we're planning at least one day trip there. I'll be in the Philly area for the bulk of my trip.