TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

That actually sounds like a great idea! I loved Stormrunner much more in the front row because there really wasn't a whole lot of neck chopping there. If they could reduce that towards the back rows with soft restraints, it would really improve the experience.

Because that's the coaster at Hershey that needs new restraints... Storm Runner lol

LOL I thought the same thing. But Skyrush doesn't bother me and those Intamin horse collar restraints are terrible. Makes me wonder if they would get them for Fahrenheit too. If anything I wish Kingda Ka would get them, maybe I'd actually like that ride.

Where did you hear that?

A few not-really-credible sources on FB, but most notably the Hersheypark Connoisseurs group. I know we have a few Hershey employees that lurk here so that's why I asked here.

Because that's the coaster at Hershey that needs new restraints... Storm Runner lol

LOL I thought the same thing. But Skyrush doesn't bother me and those Intamin horse collar restraints are terrible. Makes me wonder if they would get them for Fahrenheit too. If anything I wish Kingda Ka would get them, maybe I'd actually like that ride.

I actually had zero problems with the restraints on both storm runner and fahrenheit. I would rather see skyrush's ones being modified 100000000000 times more. Still, seeing that some guests have some issues with them it's only good that they're getting replaced.

Fahrenheit and Storm Runner don't have anywhere near the problems Maverick and I305 had with neck chopping. They do NOT need the backpack-of-doom restraints and I would be seriously disappointed if they got them. The hard plastic bars are vaguely annoying but at least you don't feel like you're pinned down within an inch of your life in them.

I heard it straight out of a Mechanic's mouth during a private tour of the Storm Runner Maintenance Shop and Hydraulic Room a week ago. He was happy that people won't get their earrings bashed into the side of their head, but is also interested in seeing how the new vests hold up in therms of longevity. Fahrenheit is also planned for the conversion, but it may not happen by opening weekend.

While Storm Runner wasn't a terrible headbanger, I am very encouraged by the change as people who aren't as seasoned when it comes to anticipating transitions with shoulder harnesses will have a much more enjoyable ride.

I'm pretty excited for this change because although it is not too rough a ride, the last time I rode it the sudden banked turn at the end made my neck bang into the restraint very hard and it hurt a little bit. Hopefully these restraints make the ride experience even better!

I liked the restraints on I305 FOR I305, but that's only because I can't imagine any other restraint that would allow you to survive those insane transitions intact. They press on your shoulders so freakin hard though, they're really pretty awful (hence why they're the "backpack of doom" restraints). Surprised they're so popular...? I'm hoping they can loosen them up just a little bit, like B&M did with the wing vests.

Hershey's Chocolate World will be renovating the Free Chocolate Tour Ride over the next several months to include new ride vehicles, animal characters, and more.

http://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/02/hershey_chocolate_making_tour_changes.html

Major changes to Hershey's Chocolate World tour are bad news for singing cows: what to expect

Hershey's iconic Chocolate Making Tour will look and sound much different starting in May, thanks to technological upgrades and – gasp! – a new song.

Gone will be the "It's the milk chocolate!" song crooned by a trio of cows – a tune that is hard to get out of your head once it gets in. The cows also will be gone, at least in their current form.

Todd Kohr, marketing manager for the Global Hershey Experience, would not provide details on the new song, other than to say the "accompaniment will feel very familiar."

"It won't be released until opening day," in May, he said. "It's one of the surprises we are keeping to the very end."

Changes to the ride aren't taken lightly, Kohr said. People "really feel like it's part of them and part of the community."

10-year updates

It's been 10 years since the last "refresh" of the free ride that has been around since 1973. Previous upgrades occurred about every 10 years - 1988, 1998 and 2006. The Chocolate Making Tour draws about 4 million visitors annually.

"There is going to be considerable updates to several scenes," Kohr said. "Other scenes will be enhanced."

Those enhancements are digital, both in the sets as well as the cars you ride in. One aim is to bring more realism to what's happening in the chocolate-making process. Digital projection will be a part of the updated ride.

Cow changes coming

There will be more than double the number of cows after the renovations, along with some other animals (the types of animals is being kept a secret). However, the three you are used to seeing – Gabby, Harmony and Olympia, who have been around since 2006 - will be gone, along with their song. Kohr said you still will be able to find them somewhere on the tour, however. The current three names were selected through a naming contest. A woman from the Harrisburg area won.

The new cows and other animals will be animatronic characters similar to the current ones.

Kohr said Chocolate World enthusiasts will help to name the new set of singing cows. Details will be announced later.

"When you do a major update such as this, you really want to make sure that everything really matches, from lighting to storytelling," Kohr said, adding that everything will be evaluated from top to bottom. "You have to make sure all those updates match."

In between sets of the ride, there will be content, he said.

The chocolate making process really hasn't changed drastically over the decades, but the way people gather information has, Kohr added.

The cars are original

The cars are original from 1973. The new state-of-the-art cars will have themes of Hershey's, Kisses and Reese's brands, as well as video monitors with a guide to help folks through the ride and provide more information. They will be available in three languages: English, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese.

"People who are fans of the tour will feel comfortable with the new tour," Kohr said. "But they'll really be excited by the enhancements."

Worldwide appeal

Of the 4 million who get on the ride annually, 60 percent are repeat visitors, Only about 15 percent are from the area immediately surrounding Hershey.

Hershey's Chocolate Tasting Experience

Chocolate World has opened a new attraction, the Chocolate Tasting Experience

Three to 4 percent of the 4 million are from very far away – China. Hershey is a popular stop for groups of Chinese tourists who are visting the Northeast United States, Kohr said. In fact, on days when the company knows tours are coming, ambassadors who speak Mandarin Chinese are on hand to help. That's also why Mandarin is one of the three languages that will be provided in the cars.

Ride is closed for now

The ride is closed for three weeks. Kohr said the hopes are to reopen it then with it "under construction" until it is completed in May. For the next three weeks, a Making of Hershey Chocolate program will be presented in the 4-D theater. And yes, there will be a free treat at the end, just like during the Chocolate Making Tour.

How is that treat selected?

"Oftentimes there is a product we want to feature," Kohr said. "It could be a new product or a product that Hershey is featuring for one way or another."

According to the company, since opening in 1973, the Chocolate Making Tour has hosted more than 75 million visitors.

Hershey would not release the cost of the changes.

Granaroli Design & Entertainment, based in California, is the main design company. It also works with Paramount Pictures, Warner Bros., Caesars Entertainment, Playboy Enterprises and Universal Studios. On Track Themes, also based in California, is working on the production. Hershey has worked with both companies on previous upgrades.

And yes, there will be a free treat at the end, just like during the Chocolate Making Tour.

I still remember having to evacuate the Tour because of a medical emergency in another car. They took us through a bunch of storage rooms (that Christmas wreath is HUGE) and out through a door near the food court area - and, sure enough, people were waiting for us with baskets of free candy.

There will be more than double the number of cows after the renovation.

Help me out here folks. With the announced updates to the factory tour ride at Chocolate World, I was curious to know if there are any blue prints or fan made artwork of the ride's layout anywhere online. Does anyone know of anything like that and where to find it?