TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^I do agree with you, but I didn't say they only reach to thrill seekers, I said they are a family park who also strive to reach thrill seekers. Which seems to have been working for them. Thrill seeking can be thought of in many ways as well, thrill seeking doesn't have to be a 300ft Intamin Skyjump, it can also be a starflyer/windseeker (which can be considered a family attraction)

I'm thinking of going to Hersheypark for the first time either Saturday October 24th. or Sunday the 25th. but I'm unsure what day would be best. How busy does it usually get Saturdays and Sundays in October? Is there a Fastlane type program I could buy? Lastly, could anyone give me a "gameplan" (what order to ride everything, and what seats are best on each ride?)

Thanks!

Can someone tell me what the FB link said? It's really helpful when a link is provided AND when someone does a screen shot of the page. Sometimes the stuff is taken down or someone can't view it for whatever reason. I can gather from reading posts that perhaps it's a drop tower which would be great. TIA!

I fully expect reports of potentially major flooding at Hershey (and likely Knoebels) this week with the amount of rain that fell today and forecast to fall the rest of the week. It's been teeming in Philly since this afternoon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Hershey typically floods in the lower elevation areas in the front of the park around the creek. So Skyrush, the entrance plaza, SDL, and Comet are usually affected. Wildcat should remain unscathed.

"Love" is a really strong word to describe my opinion on Wildcat, but I don't personally have an issue with the ride. After all the hype of how bad it is, I rode it and got off and first thing I said was "coaster enthusiasts are pussies".

"Love" is a really strong word to describe my opinion on Wildcat, but I don't personally have an issue with the ride. After all the hype of how bad it is, I rode it and got off and first thing I said was "coaster enthusiasts are pussies".

Yeah, some enthusiasts are. And the only reason I used love instead of like is because this was my first "big coaster", so it does hold a special place for me.

How about that time they added a water feature to Great Bear? Really made for an exciting finale to the ride!

Did that not damage the ride at all? Or did it cause rust on the supports and stuff? Some of the track is underwater in the right side of the photo! Also I cant imagine what Comet must've looked like! Although it does look like a fun pool:

Come to Hershey Park and swim in the all-new great bear swimming pool fit with a giant play area that resembles a rollercoaster for some reason!

Also that picture is from 2011 right? (Looking at the link from where the photo was from).

*Edit* ^ Nevermind

^ Which is exactly my concern with that Skyrush lift motor. Seems silly to have it that low to the creek especially when so much of the ride is pretty far above it (save for the first turn at the bottom of the drop), considering the history of flooding Hershey has had along the creek. I guess it has to be there for some reason my non-engineer brain cannot decipher. My number 1 goal in October is to ride Skyrush so I am over here doing an anti-rain dance for my beloved Hersheypark.

It was probably a combination of Intamin not realizing the flooding issues that could potentially happen, and Hershey not pointing it out to Intamin. I305 has its lift motor in the exact same place under the lift. This way, the cable can be directly ran up to the lift and through a series of pulleys to make the load "lighter". Each pulley can take half of the weight off of the load. (Example: Skyrush's trains go from 13 tons, to 6.5, to 3.25 with each big pulley)

There is also a smaller return motor next to the station, which rewinds the shuttle and cable through the lift IIRC.

I'm not too worried about Skyrush. That motor is sitting pretty high up from the creek (almost as tall as the footers) and the computer systems for much of the ride are behind the loading station.

If it does get as bad this time around, there might be something new that could help: the area isn't in a construction site anymore with the creek being re-routed. During Lee, they had to funnel the creek to one side or underground through a series of pipes. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the dam worked at this time either, so with it down (like it was from what I saw this morning), it exposes the maintenance path/crane access path and lowers the water level quite a bit all the way back to as far as Trailblazer.