TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Went last night, but didn't even think about going on Laff Trakk because it had around a two hour line so I think it has bad capacity( I heard it was 2 hours all day and wasn't much movement in the line). I will be going on it today right at 10 to see if it would be worth that line.

A tip if you don't care about coaster credits, don't wait two hours for Laff Trakk. Yea it was alright and a little fun, but I wouldn't wait more then an hour for it for a first ride. I only waited 5 minutes, but after that I didn't even consider a reride.

I'm planning on going to Hersheypark this coming weekend. Since it will be my only visit this season, should I splurge for the Fast Track Pass? Also, should I go on Saturday or Sunday?

If you plan to go on a Sunday I wouldn't worry about lines at all. Plus Hershey's Fast Track Pass is really not good to be honest. To me it's a waste of time but then again I can go whenever I want anytime.

Did Fahrenheit track get a new color? Didn't see it until after dark, but the track looks much yellower than the orange I remember.

Got the 2nd to last ride on Laff Trakk tonight. The queue was filled thru four of the six switchbacks in the outside area when I arrived at 10. Ride was down until 10:20, and I rode at 11:15. The operators were FLYING through the line, you could see how badly they wanted to get done for the night. Still, if there was really a 2h+ wait for this, must have been spilling into the midway.

Anyone on the board rode Laff Trakk today? how big are the cars?
The cars are a little smaller diameter-wise than your standard four-in-an-arc spinning mouse cars, and they're two rows of two seats facing away from each other. The upper body part of the seats are roomy and very comfortable, but legroom is very cramped (for reference I'm 6'0"). The lap bars didn't feel too good; they kind of hit my thighs at an odd angle. Wider guests should fit pretty well, taller guests may be uncomfortable. Height limit is 6'5" to ride.

My thoughts?

I was expecting a decent coaster with trippy, mind-blowing effects. In reality, the coaster itself (layout, elements, etc) is excellent - actually quite thrilling - but the effects were slightly underwhelming. The main problem for me is, there's so much glow, the whole building is basically lit up. Nothing at all like the animated POV with the pitch black background. You can see all the track and the supports, and it kills the "dark ride" aspect of it. In the animated POV one of coolest parts IMO where the cars spun through a segment of huge mirrors toward end of ride. In reality, the mirrors are much smaller, and they're on the brake run where the car is not even spinning any longer, but realigned and locked in place.

The queue line is fun. I won't spoil what's inside. Nothing new or crazy, but it kept people engaged.

Had I not seen their animated video when the ride was announced, I'd probably have nothing but good things to say. But that video built it up so much for me.

GP feedback was very polarized - I've never heard so many people commenting on a ride experience coming out the exit. 80% "that was soooo fun" and 20% "I waited all that time for... THAT?"

All in all, I think it will be a successful addition.

I guess I was that 20% then, but yet again the 80% was probably a lot of kids and families. I think why I didn't like it was it was so much cool looking in the video that I thought it was going to be one of the better family coasters around and I also just came off one of my favorites ever, Skyrush! Also a side note that it broke down last night and people were getting mad because of how long they waited to find out that the ride is stuck and also at night there are so many bugs in the lines that fly on to your hair so be prepared.

Did Fahrenheit track get a new color? Didn't see it until after dark, but the track looks much yellower than the orange I remember.

That would be the faded orange it has come to. I can see it being repainted within the next year or so. It is a main part of that area of the park and unlike Storm Runner(which finally got repainted before last season), which is really covered in trees except the elements, Fahrenheit is entirely in plain sight. To me it looked ugly last year so it can only get worse!

Edited by TyRush

I'm a long time lurker on the board and visitor to Hersheypark and decided to get an account after just getting home from the park after preview night last night and being in the park this morning. I was also in that line for Laff Trak last night...I entered the queue at 8:47pm and exited the ride at 10:50pm, with 30 or so of those minutes mainly due to a shutdown in the ride. First off, I was pleased with what they did with the area, since I was a little nervous that the building would just be a random box, but it is nicely landscaped and decorated, with a few fun things for guests waiting in line. Second, all I heard from people exiting the ride was how much fun it was, and I agree with them. It's exactly what you should go in expecting: a fun, family-friendly spinning coaster, with cool and aesthetically-pleasing effects. My only complaint is the lack of leg room (I'm 6'2), so just hope that you don't get a charley horse!

Otherwise, my other main concern is Wildcat. Over the past few years, my rides on and off throughout the season were either surprisingly 'smooth' or very rough, and today was the latter. I don't know what they're going to do with it over the next few years, but I believe that it will either need to be re-tracked or removed all together, especially with the waterpark next door. My vote would be for its removal.

Other observations:

-Decently crowded yesterday after 7pm and, as usual, today the waterpark and Laff Trak allowed for all the other rides to essentially be walk-ons

-Throughout the time that I was there, Laff Trak was at a constant 2 or more hour wait...when I got to the back of the park immediately after opening this morning, Laff Trak's line extended to Lightning Racers from my vantage point at the top of Wildcat's lift hill

-Fahrenheit is going the way that Storm Runner went a few years ago and needs a paint job very badly!

Just finished finalizing our reservations for HP next weekend! Staying at Hershey Lodge Friday and Saturday nights with a full day at the park planned for Saturday. It says there's going to be a youth conference there at the same time, too, so I'm just resigning to the park being very crowded. Going to really be maximizing the benefits with the extended preview time the day before and early entry. I'm excited either way, love this place!

Anyone on the board rode Laff Trakk today? how big are the cars?
The cars are a little smaller diameter-wise than your standard four-in-an-arc spinning mouse cars, and they're two rows of two seats facing away from each other. The upper body part of the seats are roomy and very comfortable, but legroom is very cramped (for reference I'm 6'0"). The lap bars didn't feel too good; they kind of hit my thighs at an odd angle. Wider guests should fit pretty well, taller guests may be uncomfortable. Height limit is 6'5" to ride.

I've only ridden one Maurer Söhne spinmning coaster and I had the same problem. Nothing too bad but I had to cross my legs and during some faster transitions the bar that connects to the actual lap bar would hit them which was slightly painful. I was surprised as I'm not that tall and I assume taller guest won't be too comfortable.

Just finished finalizing our reservations for HP next weekend! Staying at Hershey Lodge Friday and Saturday nights with a full day at the park planned for Saturday. It says there's going to be a youth conference there at the same time, too, so I'm just resigning to the park being very crowded. Going to really be maximizing the benefits with the extended preview time the day before and early entry. I'm excited either way, love this place!

Where does it say something about a youth conference? I was planning on going either Saturday or Sunday as well. Considering there are thunderstorms in the forecast Sunday I was thinking Sat., but now I'm not so sure...

don't miss out on the Chocolate Martinis at the main bar at the lodge (behind the fireplace). . they are fantastic (in particular the white chocolate rasberry). . but be warned, you get to keep the glass!

The burgers in the sports themed (ice rink, I think) restaurant were very good as well.

As I write this, I'm sitting my my room in the Hershey Lodge munching on kettle corn, having just come back from a very successful preview night. The park was decently crowded, primarily with a lot of school / youth groups, but by the time we got there at 6:30PM a lot of them were filing out. Longest line of the night was Storm Runner at ten minutes, but that's mostly because we waited for the front. Skyrush still mangaged to catch me off guard - I get legitimately nervous each time I get in line for this thing lol. I even snagged my first ever ride in the back row on Skyrush at the end of the night

Here's a breakdown of our night:

Skyrush - x2

Great Bear

SDL

Storm Runner

Sidewinder

Cocoa Cruiser (Rikki solo)

Coal Cracker

Sky ride

Wildcat

Lightning Racer (L&R)

Comet

Kissing Tower

Wild Mouse

Tomorrow morning is gonna be used to ride Fahrenheit and Laff Trakk, then mostly meandering and relaxing, doing some of the smaller stuff and whatever tends to have short lines.

Those Utz white cheddar cheese rings look really good!

And you certainly can't go wrong with Hershey kettle corn on your way out of the park...I think that they make some of the best kettle corn out there.

Went to Hershey Park this past week and I just wanted to say for anyone wonder the park is very friendly when it comes to larger people. I am a rather tall and wide guy and I was very nervous about getting on that new ride Laff Trakk. I was more nervous when I saw a man that could not get on the ride. When it was my turn however the park attendants were very friendly and made sure I could get on the ride. I was snug but I got to ride.

Laff Trakk: The ride

The ride itself is a great fit for the park and Midway America. It is intense enough that I wasn't bored. I didn't have to wait long to ride because I went on a weekday but the ride was fun and the dark ride elements were pretty cool as well. Even though on paper the ride is basically a more extreme Wild mouse it was a totally different kind of experience with the dark elements and the spinning car. Laff Trakk is also a different feel than the Rajan Cajan at SFA. The spins were much more smooth than the jerky spins on that ride.

I wonder now that they have Laff Trakk will they move the Wild Mouse to another part of the Park to make way for a Boardwalk expansion. It would make sense at this point given how some might think Laff Trakk and the Wild Mouse are the same. Also right now Midway America has 4 roller coasters making it a little crowded.

Side Note: Laff Trakk was not the only ride I had trouble getting on that I rode, Great Bear was another good example. The staff handled it very well. When I was having trouble getting on the ride the attendant said "You are not getting of riding that easy" and stapled me into the ride. Ended up riding a few more times b/c no one else was there!