TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^I'm not a big fan of Wildcat, but it was running a bit better last summer than it has in previous years. Lightning Run is still a great woodie.

You mean Lightning Racer?

Yes, I do. Too many "lightning" coasters around.

From previous discussion it sounds like the pass is not worth it this time of year, lines are low. I was there on a Saturday in the middle of the summer and was happy to get the afternoon flash pass, it was well worth it, especially getting a walk-on to Skyrush, bypassing an awful line.

Thanks. I guess HP isn't as popular around this time of the year like other parks who do Halloween events (SF, CF, SWE parks).

I'll be visiting Hersheypark on Saturday, October 17th and possibly the 18th. Being that it's the first Saturday for "HP in The Dark", should I worry about crowds? And another thing I'm still scratching my head about is the "Fast Track" pass.

Fast Track Day Pass - $50 - Skip the lines for one ride on 9 of our coasters!

(For riders between 42" and 47" the cost is $20.)

Fast Track Evening Pass - $25 - Skip the lines for one ride on 5 of our coasters!

(Available for purchase after 3:00 PM. Valid 5:30 PM to close.)

So I can only skip the line once for nine roller coasters just before 5:30 pm? Then I would have to chip in another $25 for "Fast Track" in the evening for only five roller coasters? Maybe I'm not understanding something correctly but it doesn't sound like it's worth the money.

Also every roller coaster except for Trailblazer will be a new credit for me. Any suggestions on where to sit on certain rides?

I would take this to mean the same thing as twilight admission.....If you are there before 3 p.m. you pay $50 and that is good for all day. If you arrive after 3 you pay $25, but you only get 5 instead of 9 coasters. I seriously doubt they would make you pay a secondary price for evening hours once you already purchased a whole day pass......

I'll be visiting Hersheypark on Saturday, October 17th and possibly the 18th. Being that it's the first Saturday for "HP in The Dark", should I worry about crowds? And another thing I'm still scratching my head about is the "Fast Track" pass.

Fast Track Day Pass - $50 - Skip the lines for one ride on 9 of our coasters!

(For riders between 42" and 47" the cost is $20.)

Fast Track Evening Pass - $25 - Skip the lines for one ride on 5 of our coasters!

(Available for purchase after 3:00 PM. Valid 5:30 PM to close.)

So I can only skip the line once for nine roller coasters just before 5:30 pm? Then I would have to chip in another $25 for "Fast Track" in the evening for only five roller coasters? Maybe I'm not understanding something correctly but it doesn't sound like it's worth the money.

Also every roller coaster except for Trailblazer will be a new credit for me. Any suggestions on where to sit on certain rides?

I would take this to mean the same thing as twilight admission.....If you are there before 3 p.m. you pay $50 and that is good for all day. If you arrive after 3 you pay $25, but you only get 5 instead of 9 coasters. I seriously doubt they would make you pay a secondary price for evening hours once you already purchased a whole day pass......

The All-Day pass is good for 1 ride on each of the nine coasters and the times start at 11am and run until around 5 pm. There is a start time, but the ending time is flexible. You can technically save one of the rides and use it for later in the evening if you want. I don't think it would make sense to buy an all-day pass and come back later for an evening one as you're already getting a ride on it earlier.

As for where you can ride, the pass only allows you to ride in the middle rows that are reserved.

• 3 weeks later...

So looks like our trip for next Friday is panning out nicely, granted the weather cooperates. Looks like we are stopping in Lancaster in the afternoon then heading to Hershey for HPITD. So, besides the coasters, and the Whip, what other flats are must check outs?

Also, since we only have 5 hours, do you guys think I should follow a specific order of attack to get all the coasters in? Would it mean skipping the flats entirely? I know to hit up Fahrenheit first, and I plan to hit up Skyrush right after as it will be my #50th coaster. From there, what is the best order to make sure I get on everything?

So, besides the coasters, and the Whip, what other flats are must check outs?

Also, since we only have 5 hours, do you guys think I should follow a specific order of attack to get all the coasters in? Would it mean skipping the flats entirely? I know to hit up Fahrenheit first, and I plan to hit up Skyrush right after as it will be my #50th coaster. From there, what is the best order to make sure I get on everything?

since Fahrenheit and Skyrush aren't next to each other, why not make your 50th StormRunner (which is close). . then head around the back towards Great Bear, SuperDooperLooper, Skyrush, Comet. . and then head towards the Racer, WIld Mouse, and Wildcat (which i wouldn't bother with. .but hey,if you wanna hit the coasters. . but it's ROUGH, ROUGH, ROUGH).

in regards to the Whip?. . be warned, HP runs a terrible, and short program. You're lucky if they run it more than 45 seconds, even if the line is dead. not worth the effort in my opinion.

we very much enjoyed the Condor, and we LOVED Howler. . . it looks so innocent

I used to always ride Comet first because it was always one of the few coasters with a sizable line during HPITD. Fahrenheit and Trailblazer also had long lines, but sometimes Great Bear would, too. I don't know about Skyrush or Cocoa Cruiser. I'll be there on Saturday, and my plan was going to be Comet, Skyrush, Fahrenheit, and then whatever. You shouldn't have a problem riding everything in five hours.

^ I was thinking maybe I should hit Comet then Skyrush as they are on top of each other. Besides Bizarro (SFNE) and I305, Skyrush is in my top 3 bucket list coasters and between the fact that its an Intamin airtime machine and its a ride of such conflicting opinions, I really want to make it my 50th. Based on what Ive read I plan to sit closer to the front, on a non-wing seat, and avoid the whole hands up thing. At least for my first ride, lol.

The Whip was pretty lame. We were the only ones on it so there was a general "unenthused" feeling all around. Flying Falcon looked good, but it was closed the day we visited. Aside from that, there's not much in the way of mandatory flat rides IMO. There's a weird dark ride that feels more like a commercial of some kind, and there's the dark ride outside the park that takes you through part of the factory (that was kind of cool). Also, watch out for the chairlift ride: We hopped on thinking it might drop us off on the other side of the park, but it just turns around and comes back. It gives you great views of the inverted coaster though.

I really like Flying Falcon, it's easily my favorite flat ride in the park... that Whip is just amazingly bad. You should almost ride it just to laugh at it. Also... if Coal Cracker is open it's a very good flume that doesn't get you all that wet so it's perfect for this time of year. I'm assuming it's probably closed though.

Those are the non-coaster rides I suggest. Howler is fun but not overly unique and I like Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge more than anyone should but I'm assuming most people think it's complete crap so I'm not going to suggest that to you. lol

LOL the Falcon ride is just like the Condor which we used to have @ Morey's, a good flat but I'm not itching to get on that. Its being replaced by Flying Scooters next year which I can't wait for!

After doing Dorney, Seems Hershey's flat selection is a little... flat. Stoked they have some flyers tho!

I guess I'm more curious in the order to hit the coasters so I can get them all in within 5 hours. The park map confuses me a bit and I know I'm being ultra nerdy but want to make Skyrush the 2nd coaster I hit, but Id like to get everything else in save maybe for the Wild Mouse, and I'm not exactly dying to ride the boomerang either.

It is a good walk from Fahrenheit to Skyrush...fyi. Comet, SDL and Skyrush all sit nicely in the Hollow, and are extremely close. Great Bear is a slight walk up the hill. Then down the hill, past Flying Falcon to Trailblazer if that is your fancy. Then back up another hill to Stormrunner and Sidewinder. Fahrenheit is relatively close to them. Then Lightning Racer and Wildcat are on the far end of the park. Just a heads up.

Those are the non-coaster rides I suggest. Howler is fun but not overly unique and I like Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge more than anyone should but I'm assuming most people think it's complete crap so I'm not going to suggest that to you. lol

Ah, the Cup Challenge.... I rode it on its debut season (2006? 2007?) and the car valleyed on some dip near the end. We were stuck for ages before maintenance finally came and gave us a push! If memory serves, they got rid of that dip when I rode it the next year.

I think I'm gonna do Comet or SDL first and then hit Skyrush for my 50th. Would it be lame to do a "50th" sign and get a photo like so many of you do if its only my 50th? LOL I feel like such a rookie.

Then I guess we could work our way counterclockwise from there. I know about the insane lines for Fahrenheit so if I have to wait for so be it. The three Intamins and Great Bear are my must dos but Lightning Run, SDL, Trailblazer look like they could be fun. And Comet just to ride an old ass woodie since between Wild One (SFA, mindblowing) and Thunderhawk (Dorney, awful) I've gotten a few of those in this season. If I have time I'll attempt Wild Cat but not exactly looking forward to it based on what others have said here.

Looking forward to seeing how this day shakes out, really really excited for this visit. edit: and while its still 10 days away, weather looks like it could be perfect (albeit a bit chilly!).

Don't miss Lightning Racer... it's pretty much always a walk on and it's a great ride. With the short wait times it always has it would be a real shame not to ride it. Sooperdooperlooper can sometimes get long lines but it's worth riding if at all possible... it's a fun little coaster.

I'll be at the park this Saturday and Sunday. I haven't been in ten years and last time was during December, it sucked seeing brand new Storm Runner and not being able to ride it. Previous visits before, the only credit I got was Trailblazer, so I'm very excited to finally ride some coasters I've been wanting to ride for years. In all honesty, besides Skyrush and Storm Runner, I'm really looking forward to riding Great Bear, Comet, SooperDooperLooper and Lightning Racer.

Ah, the Cup Challenge.... I rode it on its debut season (2006? 2007?) and the car valleyed on some dip near the end. We were stuck for ages before maintenance finally came and gave us a push! If memory serves, they got rid of that dip when I rode it the next year.

The dip is still there, but the spinning that the car used to do when going down those hills isn't (well, every once in a great while a car would do this but the cars aren't programmed to do this anymore).

By the way, Laff Track looks to be progressing pretty smoothly. The base walls for the building are just about up, but they still have to add much of the ride foundation. No track or building pieces as of yet.

Don't miss Lightning Racer... it's pretty much always a walk on and it's a great ride. With the short wait times it always has it would be a real shame not to ride it. Sooperdooperlooper can sometimes get long lines but it's worth riding if at all possible... it's a fun little coaster.

Lightening Racer is a must. IMO it is better than the Great Bear, the bear has a great first half but after the corkscrew it just meanders around till the end.

Lightening Racer is a must. IMO it is better than the Great Bear, the bear has a great first half but after the corkscrew it just meanders around till the end.

I agree. Lightening Racer is excellent whereas Great Bear has a cool pre-drop, a couple of nice inversions, and then it feels like someone hit the "auto-complete" button on RCT3 and ended up with a weird, meandering section with a corkscrew. Lightning Racer is pure fun. As much as I love Anton's coasters, I found Superdooperlooper to be pretty lame. Ride it for posterity, but don't expect anything that impressive as, like Great Bear, it's built on that same awkward hillside and meanders accordingly.

I'll never understand the hate for Great Bear. I think it's nice to see B&M build an original layout for once and personally I love the ride. The flatspin / corkscrew (whatever) at the end of the ride is a great moment too since the train makes you feel like you're turning in the opposite direction of the inversion right before you hit it. Because it's an invert you can't see this coming at all unless you're in the front seat.

Great Bear is awesome, don't listen to the haters.

I'm really looking forward to riding Great Bear this weekend. This a B&M that has always stood out to me, it's unique layout, weird foot chopper supports and awesome use of terrain, it's just been one coaster that I've always wanted to ride. Plus I love B&M Inverts and I would really like to see how it compares to the other four I've been on (Alpengeist, Montu, and Dragon Challenge).

As a GAdv regular, I've come to really appreciate B&M coasters and the inverts I've ridden (Batman, Talon) were both excellent, so I am really looking forward to Great Bear. The drop looks unique, the layout is different, the close to the water sections look cool, and I'm sure it has some decent forces and a bit of snappiness as far as I can tell from the POVs. After the Intamin Trilogy at this park Great Bear is next on my lists of must rides.

SDL doesn't look that mindblowing but since its a pretty rare type of coaster these days I'll give it a spin for sure. Looks pretty uneventful after the loop. And after all the praise here for Lightning Run I'll definitely make sure to give it a spin. Certain side better or should I just do both?

Still not until next Friday, but weather is still looking great, a bit chilly @ night but if I have to ride in a hat and gloves I don't mind.

SDL doesn't look that mindblowing but since its a pretty rare type of coaster these days I'll give it a spin for sure. Looks pretty uneventful after the loop. And after all the praise here for Lightning Run I'll definitely make sure to give it a spin. Certain side better or should I just do both?

You're kind of right about SDL... it's not mind blowing but it's a lot of fun and it's very unique as you said.

I'd just ride both sides of Lightning Racer since it won't have a line. It's short lines are 100% based on capacity and location though... it's a great ride. Personally I don't have a favorite side but I think the green side (I forget if it's Thunder or Lightning) usually wins so I guess if you had to pick you could go with that one even though it's a pretty dumb reason to do so. lol