TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Went today. First time back since 2007. Loved it, and loved getting the new and missed credits. Here are some thoughts.

Operations were awesome. Lines moved quickly.

Great bear was new to me. Definitely underrated, I loved it.

Superdooperlooper was fun but nothing special.

Fahrenheit and storm runner are both fantastic. The last airtime hill on Fahrenheit was perfect.

Now onto skyrush. UGH. This was the worst experience I have ever had on a roller coaster, and my friends agreed. The lapbar is awful and doesn't come close to your torso, so the airtime has basically your entire body ejected forward and bent over the lap bar. It progressively got tighter to the point of leaving marks in my legs. The laterals were terrible as well. There were parts of the ride where I was basically hanging over sideways out of the car while being ejected forwards. It was almost as if the ride was trying its best to get rid of me. If the lapbars were normal in any sense of the word it would be a great ride. I will never ride it again until something changes. However I will say the visuals of the end seat were pretty cool.

My apologies for formatting, posted from a rest stop on my phone

^You have to learn how to ride it. I got it down by the 3rd ride, just anticipate the rotations with your upper body. Do this and you're in for a treat, Skyrush gives an incredible ride in every seat. We managed to cycle it 9x right before close on the last 11:00 night of the season. Night rides rock even harder.

^^ Hey there, you aren't the only one that finds the restraints on Skyrush take away from what otherwise could be a great ride.

I wasn't able to find any strategy that worked for me, and basically near as I can tell, you've got some people who aren't bothered as much by the restraints OR they seem to have some sort of trick that works for them (none of which worked for me). These people will try to convince you there's something wrong with your body, or you aren't riding Skyrush right, and so forth. Don't listen to them. Your experience is just as valid as theirs. For every person that thinks Skyrush is a great ride and anyone who has an issue with the restraints is just a wimp or they are doing it wrong, there's at least one other person that wouldn't ride Skyrush again, ever.

(Evidence: note that even on crowded days, Skyrush starts out with long lines, but by mid afternoon, there's no line at all. Contrast with Storm Runner, which has long lines all day, or Great Bear, even longer lines... those are rides where when the GP rides it, they want to ride again, where Skyrush is not that ride.)

Don't get me wrong, I like rough out of control rides (my favorite woodie at Hersheypark is Wildcat) but Thighcrush is just annoying. I rode it many times, probably six or eight times, and while I enjoyed it, at the end, I just couldn't take the pain in my legs anymore. No exaggeration, my legs still hurt four days later, with visible redness and bruising on the tops of my thighs.

Skyrush is easily one of the most intense rides I have ever been on. Everything about that layout is absolutely nuts. I loved the laterals and the feeling of being almost ripped from the seat. However, I did not appreciate the lap bars one bit. They dig pretty deep with every drop. If it was just the initial tightening on the first drop, I could live, but the tightening at the bottom of each drop and the digging with every airtime moment is just too painful for me. I really liked the ride because I love intensity, but it's not something I can do over and over. I can't make it a top ten, because there was too much pain rather than enjoyment. I would exchange the wing seats for the traditional Intamin Hyper trains any day. Overall, you aren't alone if you think Skyrush is uncomfortable.

This comes from a person who has Holiday World's The Voyage as their favorite roller coaster, both wood and steel.

And those are the reasons why we most likely will never see a Mega-lite in the states. I've notice when compared to other countries, most Americans can't handle a high intensity ride.

There are lots of intense rides in the United States that people enjoy, and nobody is complaining that Skyrush is too intense, everybody is complaining about the poorly designed lap bar.

God, this discussion has been had and had and had over and over ever since the ride opened. It will never end.

Here is the simple explanation; Don't ride it cause I sure as hell will.Thanks for making my wait time shorter, I mean how can you really say you'll never ride it again? I'll sacrifice a tiny bit of leg comfort for one of the best ride experiences in the world.

And those are the reasons why we most likely will never see a Mega-lite in the states. I've notice when compared to other countries, most Americans can't handle a high intensity ride.

The US will likely not get a Mega-Lite because its a low-capacity ride thats too large an investment for the small parks they would actually fit well in. Imagine the lines for a Mega Lite in a park that could justify its cost, like Cedar Point or Great America. Thats my theory anyway.

The US will likely not get a Mega-Lite because its a low-capacity ride thats too large an investment for the small parks they would actually fit well in. Imagine the lines for a Mega Lite in a park that could justify its cost, like Cedar Point or Great America. Thats my theory anyway.

I very much agree with this! Theme park culture is very different between Europe and the US - most small parks in the states appear to be built in dense, forested areas and the Mega Lite layout (as well as the Lightning Run layout) is kind of large. Super-compact coasters are in style for small parks - Wooden Warrior, Untamed and Roar-O-Saurus are some recent examples. Knoebels' Impulse might also be a good example too but it's larger than those other ones I mentioned.

I feel like a Mega Lite would be successful in the US if it were offered with six-car trains instead of four. Fahrenheit shares the same theoretical hourly capacity as the Mega Lites - and just look at the consistent queue length that Fahrenheit has on a daily basis! It moves so slowly all the time too!

Aren't the complaints about the restraints, not the intensity? Mega-lites and skyrush restraints aren't the same right?

Just to clarify my previous post since there seems to be a lack of reading comprehension here.

The layout is brilliant. The forces are awesome. If the lapbar actually fit like a lapbar, like every other intamin ride out there, I'm pretty sure it would be a top 5 for me. If I see that new restrains are ever put on I will be first in line to ride again.

Hershey is siting on such an amazing ride that needs a minor tweak to make it incredible.

^This.

I haven't read any recent posts on here or have seen too many guest remarks over the past years on social media saying Skyrush is too intense in terms of forces or layout, but instead there are many who agree that the restraints are uncomfortable which prevent them from enjoying the extreme intensity Skyrush has to offer.

I305 is another great example. Once the restraints were modified and the trims were removed from the first drop, more people than ever went head over heels for this incredibly intense ride that was now more comfortable to ride.

Here is the simple explanation; Don't ride it cause I sure as hell will.Thanks for making my wait time shorter, I mean how can you really say you'll never ride it again? I'll sacrifice a tiny bit of leg comfort for one of the best ride experiences in the world.

Save a seat for me brother

^This.

I haven't read any recent posts on here or have seen too many guest remarks over the past years on social media saying Skyrush is too intense in terms of forces or layout, but instead there are many who agree that the restraints are uncomfortable which prevent them from enjoying the extreme intensity Skyrush has to offer.

I305 is another great example. Once the restraints were modified and the trims were removed from the first drop, more people than ever went head over heels for this incredibly intense ride that was now more comfortable to ride.

And to add the restraints on MegaLites are far more comfortable than on SkyRush. I know some people don't complain about the pain on SkyRush, but no I've heard few complaints about pain from MegaLites. Also, some fatties have trouble fitting into MegaLites.

Hersheypark has sent us a press release about their latest honor, this time from USA Today!

The results are in and Hersheypark in Hershey, PA is ranked in the Top #5 for Best Theme Park in the 10 Best Readers’ Choice travel award contest sponsored by USA Today. The full list of winners is posted on http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-theme-park/.

With more than 70 rides and attractions, including 12 exhilarating roller coasters and The Boardwalk at Hersheypark included in the one-price admission, Hersheypark was founded in 1907 by chocolate magnate Milton S. Hershey and has grown to be a world-class theme park located on 110- clean, green acres.

“I know I speak for all of us on the team at Hersheypark when I say how thrilled we are that USA Today readers voted our park as one of the Top 5 Theme Parks in the United States,” said Kevin Stumpf, Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Co. General Manager of Attractions & Entertainment. “We would like to thank everyone who helped us achieve this honor. We strive to put a smile on the face of every guest who visits our park.”

Winners will be promoted on USA Today, in the Friday, August 15 edition of the print version, and on usatoday.com (travel) within the week.

For more information about Hersheypark, which just announced Laff Trakk, the first indoor, spinning glow-coaster in the United States, for the 2015 season, please visit www.Hersheypark.com or call 717-534-3900.

^This.

And to add the restraints on MegaLites are far more comfortable than on SkyRush. I know some people don't complain about the pain on SkyRush, but no I've heard few complaints about pain from MegaLites. Also, some fatties have trouble fitting into MegaLites.

Mega-Lits are pretty rough on people's waist if they don't know about the layout. Some first riders complain about the transitions being way too sudden.

People complain about the position of the lap bar, if Intamin change the steel pipe to a bit shorter, I think that can be solved. But maybe in reality this is far more complicated than I thought.

That is such BS. If Americans can't handle intensity, then how come I305 is one of the most loved coasters in the entire country?

Btw, I was there on Sunday and I don't care what anyone says, Skyrush is the best coaster in the park and almost as good as I305.

Going possibly Saturday. How busy have they been since schools are back in session.

BTW, have not checked the weather.

The crowds were okay on Saturday, but very good on Sunday....All Sunday morning, EVERYTHING was a walk-on. It got a little crowded in the afternoon, but in the evening, the crowds lightened up once again...

The longest line I waited on was Fahrenheit, but that was to be expected. As much as I love the ride, the ride has absolutely repugnant capacity. The trains should have at least had four cars. Not three.

^Are Sunday's the rest of the month generally about the same low crowd level? I'm hoping to make one more trip to Hershey this month. Would love to marathon some Skyrush/Stormrunner

I'd assume that because its after labor day, all the Sundays are like that.

People complain about the position of the lap bar, if Intamin change the steel pipe to a bit shorter, I think that can be solved. But maybe in reality this is far more complicated than I thought.

Yeah I have always thought this and wondered why it hasn't been done, or why it wasn't designed like this initially.