TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Honestly, how are we complaining about a new coaster? This plus the intamin trio, and a few other credits will form a nice trip next year. Do we really need another reason to go to hershey?

^ Thank you. Can everyone just shut up for a minute? Hershey never half asses anything. This is going to be a great addition, next year when some of you ride it you'll probably be eating your words. It's a solid new roller coaster addition, can we just enjoy it?

Honestly, how are we complaining about a new coaster? This plus the intamin trio, and a few other credits will form a nice trip next year. Do we really need another reason to go to hershey?

^ Thank you. Can everyone just shut up for a minute? Hershey never half asses anything. This is going to be a great addition, next year when some of you ride it you'll probably be eating your words. It's a solid new roller coaster addition, can we just enjoy it?

I'd much rather have a spinning mouse in a box with some nice lighting, special effects, and, above all, air conditioning than one sitting out in the blazing sun.

OK so my chances of going to HP tomorrow (today) are INCREDIBLY slim thanks to temporary money issues.

So I made the death wish and I'm planning to hit the park on Saturday. I need a good attack plan or I'm gonna die. I'm gonna try the whole start at the back plan and pretty much focus on most of the majors, but I know it'll be mobbed so I'll be skipping a lot of rides.

Since I plan to go with a parent, it'll most likely just be mostly shows with a ride in between. Anyone got some good last min advice?

I don't get the complaints that this isn't another OMFG THAT WAS SO AMAZING BEST COASTER EVA addition. Hersheypark does not need another ride like that (at least not right now). If they only added thrill rides, it'd eventually turn into a park full of rowdy teenagers. They need family additions to get the whole family to want to come.

I really don't understand the complaints AT ALL. The theming looks spectacular and even if it isn't a custom ride, it's still a NEW COASTER.

I don't get the complaints that this isn't another OMFG THAT WAS SO AMAZING BEST COASTER EVA addition. Hersheypark does not need another ride like that (at least not right now). If they only added thrill rides, it'd eventually turn into a park full of rowdy teenagers. They need family additions to get the whole family to want to come.

I really don't understand the complaints AT ALL. The theming looks spectacular and even if it isn't a custom ride, it's still a NEW COASTER.

Amen!

Plus nostalgia is gonna be beautiful

I don't remember the height restriction for these coasters, but if they let the Reese's height category ride Laff Track with a responsible rider, it will be a HUGE hit with families!

How were crowds this past week? I'm thinking of heading to Hershey for a day trip this coming Monday 8/18 and am hoping for a moderately-crowded day at worst. What should I expect for waits?

Also, I haven't been to Hershey since probably 2006ish. What should my game plan be for the day? Planning on getting there right for opening and staying to close or close to it. Should I head to Skyrush first thing in the morning or would it be smarter to head back to Fahrenheit/Storm Runner and then back through Midway America then back up to the front?

How were crowds this past week? I'm thinking of heading to Hershey for a day trip this coming Monday 8/18 and am hoping for a moderately-crowded day at worst. What should I expect for waits?

Also, I haven't been to Hershey since probably 2006ish. What should my game plan be for the day? Planning on getting there right for opening and staying to close or close to it. Should I head to Skyrush first thing in the morning or would it be smarter to head back to Fahrenheit/Storm Runner and then back through Midway America then back up to the front?

Fahrenheit first if it's a must do. Then I do the backwards plan starting with LR. Skyrush gets down to a manageable wait in the afternoon. No need to rush to that one.

I would agree with that, Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge is a pretty fun shooting dark ride but it really looks cheap. Laff Track looks better but it also looks like the thematic elements were made by the same people.

Can everyone just shut up for a minute? Hershey never half asses anything.

Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge

I didn't really find it all that half assed. Is is it Disney or Universal quality? No, but for a park outside of those two it is a decent dark ride.

YES. Freaking terrible ride. That's why I'm relieved the new thing is a spinning coaster in a box. How could they possibly f*ck that up?

We just got back from our NJ/PA road trip and I must say Hersheypark is a beautiful place. Great coaster collection, great flat collection, and best of all... I shared Skyrush with my wife as our 100th coaster! I'm home in Michigan and I have that Disney feeling about Hershey where you just want to go straight back...

One question though: Where the hell do you guys get booze around there? I certainly didn't bring a week's worth, thinking I could just stroll into a grocery...

Nope, here in good ole PA we have these obnoxious things caked Wine and Spirits Shoppes. They aren't open on Sunday in most cases and they never seem to be conveniently located when you want something. You can get 6 packs of beer in certain groceries but they are few and far between.

^^If HE&R is strapped for cash and can't pay out bonuses, how do you expect them to pay millions extra for a custom layout that 99% of their guests would never notice? From a non-coaster-nerd standpoint, how is a custom layout on an unthemed coaster "better" for their 13th coaster than a custom theme on a "canned or cloned" coaster?

Don't forget that Dorney has an off-the-shelf Maurer mouse as well. The fact that they wouldn't spend millions to enclose and theme it shows how Hershey is willing to go the extra mile. It's not 14 million for paint -- the ride itself probably costs 5-6 million (Undertow was 5.5 million in 2012), the 5-story-tall 11,000-sq-ft building probably costs another 5-6 million (any warehouse-like building over 40ft gets expensive fast, and being in an area that regularly floods just adds to the site prep costs), so the added theming is probably a couple million at most.

Interesting that Lagoon paid 2.79 Million for Spider in August 2002, and that price nearly doubled in 9 Years? Lagoon spent a total of 4 Million Dollars overall on Spider and most warehouses cost between $10 to $20 sq. ft. Laugh Trakk better be mind blowing if they are really spending $14 Million Dollars on it only.

We just got back from our NJ/PA road trip and I must say Hersheypark is a beautiful place. Great coaster collection, great flat collection, and best of all... I shared Skyrush with my wife as our 100th coaster! I'm home in Michigan and I have that Disney feeling about Hershey where you just want to go straight back...

One question though: Where the hell do you guys get booze around there? I certainly didn't bring a week's worth, thinking I could just stroll into a grocery...

We found a liquor store in a plaza not far from the Hershey Campground and if you go in the opposite direction, you have Troeg's brewery less than a mile from the park. Not sure where the closest beer distributor is, but I agree in that it is weird that you can't just buy it in the grocery stores.

I didn't really find it all that half assed. Is is it Disney or Universal quality? No, but for a park outside of those two it is a decent dark ride.

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit this but despite the idiotic storyline I really like Reeses Extreme Cup Challenge and ride it at least once every time I go to the park. I think it's a fun little ride.

Pretty awful ride. It's too bad that the person who showed me around the park on my first visit made me ride it 4 or 5 times...

It's all part of the initiation process!

Interesting that Lagoon paid 2.79 Million for Spider in August 2002, and that price nearly doubled in 9 Years? Lagoon spent a total of 4 Million Dollars overall on Spider and most warehouses cost between $10 to $20 sq. ft. Laugh Trakk better be mind blowing if they are really spending $14 Million Dollars on it only.

Tubular steel prices today are 2.5 times what they were in 2002, and warehouses with over 40ft ceiling heights are significantly more than $20/sqft (in 2012 my company was quoted almost $200/sqft for a climate-controlled 50ft high-bay, and this building will probably have to be more like 60ft).