TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I just rode Skyrush in June and that last hill had crazy airtime on it, but less violent than the rest. The only point where it felt like it slowed down at all was after the second camel hill thing when it's flipping on its side and stuff. It didn't take that direction change hill as fast as I thought it might, but that final hill was nuts.

And I'm with the person who posted a few pages back about the first drop—I found it disappointing for the same reasons.

I loved that extra surge into the restraint. I could see how some could find that uncomfortable, but I absolutely loved it. And I'm glad it still delivers quite a bit of airtime on that final hill.

Anybody who's been on them all or most - rank these-

-Mega-Lite (best)

-Skyrush 2012

-Skyrush post-lift neuter

-Skyrush today

-I305

-Maverick

I'd say:

Skyrush post-lift neuter

I-305

Maverick

Mega-Lite

Skyrush today

Skyrush 2012 (destroyed my thighs, but I also didn't know how to ride it back then)

^Interesting. From the POVs I watched (as I only rode it last year) the lift neutering didn't seem to affect much more than the drop as I compared the times the ride took until the brakes and the difference was 1 second max. , sometimes even the same.

^^^Oh, as to the shape of the drop it is odd but I do like it. Feels like it's almost over and suddenly BANG! you get this huge pop of air. Shame that the restraints are crappy.

About the entire Skyrush thing, it really just depends on what a person considers ejector air. For instance, insane ejector to one person could mean floater to another.

And "strong floater" is a far cry from "nothing", which is the first thing we heard.

I will refrain from further comment till I get on it and see for myself, which I obviously have to do ASAP. I emailed the nice lady at Hershey that responds to the address on their website, I know it's not the best way to get info on stuff like this but I figured it couldn't hurt since they're really good about answering promptly. This was my message and her same-day reply:

Have any modifications been made to the trimming (braking) on Skyrush this season? Some comments have surfaced that it feels slower this year.

Thank you for your time,

Dear Mr. ____:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We have not made any modification and there is no braking along the Skyrush path until you near the station.

Thank you again for checking. We hope to see you at the Park soon.

Sweet Regards,

If she'd just said "no modifications have been made", I'd be more likely to believe her, but her not acknowledging the trims that have been there since day 1 leads me to suspect this is just a stock answer, no actual knowledge behind it.

I agree. The "no braking along the skyrush path until you near the station" makes me doubt it.

Next question, any hotel recommendations? I'll probably stay for one night so nothing expensive but also nothing to cheap and run down (I've been to some very shady hotels lol). Last question, what are some great places to eat, both inside and outside the park? Thanks!

Your best bet for anything reasonable would be to stay out of Hershey as almost every hotel in town will go for at least $90-$100+. I looked into staying in Harrisburg, but that didn't seem all that cheaper checking the rates last summer. The green/red hotel coupon books you get at rest stops have better deals in Harrisburg/York, but Hershey's prices are incredibly steep.

I didn't really eat at the park, but I did a meetup with one of the park employees last year and he said the BBQ grill by Trailblazer was the best place to eat (of course the barbecue has to be good). I remember he bought food at the Minetown Restaurant, so that has to be good enough as well.

As for the previous discussion about navigating the park, I really didn't have too much trouble navigating the park outside of the Trailblazer corner. The park itself is rather small and the rides are close together so getting around wasn't too hard. Most of the majors are on a single midway anyway, so that really helps with getting around. The paths do wind around a bit, so I guess it could be confusing if you don't have a park employee guiding you around lol, but I really only got lost once the entire visit.

-Mega-Lite (best)

-Skyrush 2012

-Skyrush today

-I305

-Maverick

Skyrush in 2013 was not particularly different from Skyrush in 2012. They were virtually the same ride, except for the first drop in the first few rows.

-Mega-Lite (best)

-Skyrush 2012

-Skyrush today

-I305

-Maverick

I prefered Skyrush 2012 to Intimidator 305. Intimidator was equally as good as Skyrush except for the final two hills. The final trim on I305 killed the air on those final two bunny hills, but the rest of the ride was fantastic. Skyrush had no weaknesses.

I'm currently at HP and Skyrush does in fact feel a tad slower (not by much though.) I trust thatthey haven't changed anything, and I examined the ride as best I could and I couldn't see anything different. The only thing I can think of that would be causing this is that maintenance must have recently put in a bunch of new wheels at the same time and they have yet to be broken in, which obiously would only be temporary.

^Yup, they have cubbies. No doors to them, though.

After riding Skyrush three times today I finally figured it out: Train 2 has the softer restraints, and since they are more comfortable (less painful) than train 1's harder restraints, it is perceived as less intense. I got train 1 as one of the last rides of the night and it was just as friggin unbelievable as I remember. We can all rest easy now.

Does Hersheypark have bins on the ride platforms? I remember Skyrush and (I think) Great Bear had them but my mind slipped about the others.

Lightning Racer and Wildcat just have marked-off sections on the opposite sides of the platforms.

After riding Skyrush three times today I finally figured it out: Train 2 has the softer restraints, and since they are more comfortable (less painful) than train 1's harder restraints, it is perceived as less intense. I got train 1 as one of the last rides of the night and it was just as friggin unbelievable as I remember. We can all rest easy now.

I thought both trains had had their restraints replaced by softer ones in 2013.

So the big reveal is tomorrow. Any last minute guesses? Screamscapes latest update suggests an indoor spinning coaster themed to a fun house. Sounds cool to me. I just wasn't expecting a coaster since they just got a kiddie last year and got skyrush in 2012. A spinning would work, but it just makes me wonder when that drop tower will come! Probably not next year, I don't see how they could fit it in with the hints they've been dropping.

^ As long as it isn't another Dark Knight that just has cardboard cut-out's, graffiti & a cheap horn blast at the end!

Knowing Hershey though...if it's a spinning mouse themed to a fun house, it's probably going to be pretty awesome. Although it would most likely be a capacity nightmare with super long lines for at least the first few years of operation.

If done right, I think an indoor spinner themed to a funhouse would be fantastic. As mentioned though, it could easily get screwed up as well. Really cool idea though, and I hope that's what it turns out to be.

Does anyone know what time the announcement will be?

Doesnt Hersheypark already have a wild mouse..? Why would another one be a good thing? A spinning mouse vs a regular mouse is worse than a B&M hyper vs a B&M giga, and yet look at the difference in mood netween this thread and the Carowinds one.

Of course I could be completely off-base because Ive never actually visited Hershey.

Doesnt Hersheypark already have a wild mouse..? Why would another one be a good thing? A spinning mouse vs a regular mouse is worse than a B&M hyper vs a B&M giga, and yet look at the difference in mood netween this thread and the Carowinds one.

Of course I could be completely off-base because Ive never actually visited Hershey.

Well it is assumed most likely if they did put in a spinner that the current Wild Mouse would probably be removed for boardwalk expansion. That atleast makes sense to me.