TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Looking to visit in September on a Sunday, what are the crowds usually like at this time of year since it is somewhat the offseason and the boardwalk are closed is it less crowded or still pretty bad being a weekend?

I found the crowds to be manageable except Labor Day weekend. Schools in our area will be back in session. Still plan to hit Fahrenheit first though.

I will agree that the map is very inaccurate. Trying to find Storm RUnner the first time was brutal. My problem was that I had spent time memorizing where everything was on the map, but then the park map was wrong so it was hard to find things!

I have to agree that navigating is difficult in Hershey. I got so lost because i could see the rides i wanted to go in the distance but the path layout is awful and very confusing. I probably could have gone on more rides but kept backtracking because i was gling the wrong way.

With so many rides crossing over and under the walking paths, it's hard on the map to figure out where you can get through from one area to the next.

They have a pretty nice Scrambler, though. And they didn't skimp on ride time. The Music Express - usually another favorite of mine - was a small, carnival type. The ride couldn't end soon enough for me. It was a rough, uncomfortable ride with no air time. Some of the big ones give you a nice lift over the highest hill. This one just hurt.

Loved the Comet and the Train.

I will agree that the map is very inaccurate. Trying to find Storm RUnner the first time was brutal. My problem was that I had spent time memorizing where everything was on the map, but then the park map was wrong so it was hard to find things!

I have to agree that navigating is difficult in Hershey. I got so lost because i could see the rides i wanted to go in the distance but the path layout is awful and very confusing. I probably could have gone on more rides but kept backtracking because i was gling the wrong way.

I agree 100%. Trailblazer was the one that was the biggest pain for me to find since it was hidden in that woodsy area in the back.

we used the best app in the world for that -- stopping and asking at a booth/shop/ride every time we wanted to go somewhere

yeah. .the Hershey map was pretty much useless.

So I visited the park yesterday on August 3rd and I'm gonna tell you guys all my thoughts on the rides. I'm going to try to keep it short and simple becasue I know how much people hate to read. Lightning Racer was closed and I didn't bother going on small coasters.

Fahrenheit - (x1) 8/10:

This was the first thing I rode when the park opened and it was a relatively fun coaster with nothing that made it stand out to me. Also lots of rattle in the cobra roll.

Storm Runner - (x6) 9/10:

Nobody was at this ride all day so I got a lot of rides in. The front row on this ride was the place to be, it delivered everything I want in a coaster in just a short amount of time.

Great Bear - (x3) 7/10:

So short, much smooth, wow.

Sooperdooperlooper - (x1) 6/10:

Great and ultra smooth classic looping awesome little Schwarzkopf coaster.

Wildcat - (x2) 6/10:

Seats were very padded so the roughness didn't bother me much. It also had a very interesting layout which I liked.

Skyrush - (x4) 9/10:

I'll go in depth on this one. This is not a top 5 coaster for me for 2 reasons. I know what you guys are thinking right now, but restraints were not a problem for me. (1) The shape of the first drop - About halfway down the drop I consistently got shot into the restraint painfully no matter where I was sitting, which completely ruined the first drop for me. (2) Whenever the ride wasn't giving extreme airtime it was rattle heaven, it felt like I was sitting in a vibrating chaired turned on max level, it was not very enjoyable. I think I was slightly spoiled by I-305 though, if I had ridden Skyrush before I-305 my top 5 might've looked a lot different right now.

I was wondering if anyone knew where the best place to get discounted tickets is? Also, does any ticket allow you to do the preview night the day before? Do you have to pay for parking while doing the preview?

Thanks.

I got a coupon at Walgreen's here in MD for $6 off. I think CVS has them too. I think all the regular single day tickets allow you to do preview night. You only have to pay for parking doing the preview. As long as you have your parking ticket and park ticket, you can park without paying the next day.

When reading the newest clue it seems that it will obviously be an indoor ride, possibly a spinning flat although it could be a dark ride like buzz lightyear at Disney, maybe not a shooting ride since they already have tue xtreme cup challenge. And since re reading the clues it is definitely going in Midway America and will have a funhouse theme. There's also the long shot it could be an indoor spinning coaster, either a mauher sohne or a spinning mouse.

Has anything been done to the last 500 feet of Skyrush? Just felt it wasn't anywhere near as intense as it was when I rode it opening year. The twisty bit before the airtime hill just sorted of lumbered over that and the airtime hill gave nothing. Ride 2nd to the back and very back. What gives?

Having just returned from the East Coast trip, I have to echo this. Skyrush was my #1 steel, but it just wasn't the same this year. The drop is still great and the first half of the ride is awesome, but the ending was really slow and disappointing. The back row used to deliver some absolutely insane rides, but it really left me feeling unsatisfied. The front was still pretty great, though. Lots of airtime.

I was wondering if anyone knew where the best place to get discounted tickets is? Also, does any ticket allow you to do the preview night the day before? Do you have to pay for parking while doing the preview?

Thanks.

Dunkin Donuts usually have discount vouchers for Hersheypark. I forget for how much of a discount though. My wife has a coworker that sells discount tickets for her kid, that is sometimes what me buy.

^^Does anybody who got a bad ride have any guesses as to the cause? What was the weather like?

The weather was pretty much perfect. The ride had a really bad rattle as well. I noticed the new trims, and I think that's why the ending is so lackluster now. Hopefully they tone the brakes down a bit next season, but I doubt they will.

***Edit: I wouldn't say they were bad rides, but it just wasn't the same OMG awesome ride that it used to be.

^^The trims have been there since day 1. Are you saying they've been turned up? Did you feel the train slow down going over them? I just want to be clear on this, I'm going to have to head back again before the end of the season to see if they've been monkeying with my favorite ride.

Edited by neil009

I could definitely feel the one by the Stengel Dive, and I'd never noticed them in the past. I even loved it last season when they slowed the lift hill down. It just felt a lot different to me this year. No air time at all on the last couple of hills near the brake run, and those used to be pretty intense. It's still in my top 5 steel, but nowhere near what it used to be.

I probably had about 7 or 8 rides in the 2 days we were there, and it was pretty much the same experience each time.

Thanks.

Wendy's in our area have $10 off tickets on the tray papers if you eat in and Giant Foods sells discounted tickets also. I want to say $14 off but don't hold me to it.

I could definitely feel the one by the Stengel Dive, and I'd never noticed them in the past. I even loved it last season when they slowed the lift hill down. It just felt a lot different to me this year. No air time at all on the last couple of hills near the brake run, and those used to be pretty intense.

Do you mean this hill??

SkyrushK.jpg.bf8f808720106c56b836ffc05ec799fe.jpg

Because if this doesn't give some air now then something terrible happened? Or did you mean the small climb into the brakes?

I could definitely feel the one by the Stengel Dive, and I'd never noticed them in the past. I even loved it last season when they slowed the lift hill down. It just felt a lot different to me this year. No air time at all on the last couple of hills near the brake run, and those used to be pretty intense. It's still in my top 5 steel, but nowhere near what it used to be.

I probably had about 7 or 8 rides in the 2 days we were there, and it was pretty much the same experience each time.

I was at HP last month and I had a similar experience. It no longer felt the same as it did opening year when I was just simply blown away by it. In fact, I was ready to put it at #1. Funny, I actually was a bit reluctant to reride it for that reason lest I tarnish the memory of Skyrush from 2012.

I could definitely feel the one by the Stengel Dive, and I'd never noticed them in the past. I even loved it last season when they slowed the lift hill down. It just felt a lot different to me this year. No air time at all on the last couple of hills near the brake run, and those used to be pretty intense.

Do you mean this hill??

[attachment=0]SkyrushK.jpg[/attachment]

Because if this doesn't give some air now then something terrible happened? Or did you mean the small climb into the brakes?

It would take a TON of trimming to turn one of the strongest airtime moments in the country into a less-than-floater hill. This is why I was trying to be clear, we're talking about one of the worst ride neuters of all time.

Unfortunately, that's the hill I'm thinking of. It was basically reduced to a small floater air hill. I remembered the ending always being some of the craziest air, even the 2 small hills that came after that used to produce something. Maybe we were there at a bad time, but it definitely wasn't the same ride that I've loved in the past.