TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Indoor drop tower? The reason i'm skeptical about a dark ride is because get have the Hershey chocolate your just outside the park. But if they did a completely different theme with more fast moving sections then I could completely understand that.

I know that does exist but doesn't it kind of miss the point of a drop tower (the height sensation and views)?

I rarely speculate, but this is particularly intriguing. Here's my guess:

Clue 1: "Where red, white and blue deck the halls, my full house will fall." - The ride's location will be in Midway America.

Clue 2: "When I look into the future of Hersheypark, my crystal ball shows only dark." - Dark ride. There's a skull in the art on this page, so this leads me to believe it will be themed to a haunted house.

"A new spin on an old classic." Combined with Clue 2, this leads me to believe that the theme will be of a classic haunted house dark ride (think Sylvan Beach's Laffland or Knoebels' Haunted Mansion) but with higher tech stunts, and the cars might rotate or spin. Again, the word "house" in the first clue lends me to believe that there will be a building encompassing the majority of the structure.

Wild Mouse isn't built to be a spinning mouse coaster. You can't just plop spinning cars on the track, especially considering that Mack doesn't even make a spinning mouse model.

Retrofitting a steel coaster with spinning cars isn't unheard of - IIRC Jungle has lived two lives, one as a standard kiddie coaster (which is how I rode it in '02 along the Champs Elysees) and was retrofitted with spinning cars afterwards, eventually ending up at a permanent park. Still, that doesn't mean that's why Hersheypark is doing here or even that it is likely.

Wild Mouse isn't built to be a spinning mouse coaster. You can't just plop spinning cars on the track, especially considering that Mack doesn't even make a spinning mouse model.

Yes the that's why it would need to be a new coaster! I think it has a cool location currently though but the Boardwalk expansion in that area would be crucial to have.

I rarely speculate, but this is particularly intriguing. Here's my guess:

Clue 1: "Where red, white and blue deck the halls, my full house will fall." - The ride's location will be in Midway America.

Clue 2: "When I look into the future of Hersheypark, my crystal ball shows only dark." - Dark ride. There's a skull in the art on this page, so this leads me to believe it will be themed to a haunted house.

"A new spin on an old classic." Combined with Clue 2, this leads me to believe that the theme will be of a classic haunted house dark ride (think Sylvan Beach's Laffland or Knoebels' Haunted Mansion) but with higher tech stunts, and the cars might rotate or spin. Again, the word "house" in the first clue lends me to believe that there will be a building encompassing the majority of the structure.

You have very valid points here. I did not think of it all that way.

I see your thoughts on a dark ride but why would they build another when they have the Extreme Challenge already? Even though that one isn't haunted. Also, a haunted house wouldn't fit the theme of "Midway America"

Isn't the theme of Midway America and "classic midway"? All classic midways used to have a dark ride.

Right now I see this being either a dark ride or 4D theater attraction. As much as an old-school Knoebels-esque dark ride would be awesome, I think Hershey's image is far too clean and sterilized for them to go that route. From the images I'm getting a more surreal Alice in Wonderland type theme.

Hey guys, I'm going to the park next Sunday and I wanted to know what the best times to ride Skyrush and Stormrunner are.

storm runner- first thing in the morning. Travel to the back of the park first as the front will fill up fast (thanks GP )

Hey guys, I'm going to the park next Sunday and I wanted to know what the best times to ride Skyrush and Stormrunner are.

Skyrush for sure after 2pm, Storm Runner doesn't really have long lines that often, yet best time as said would be the morning.

This past weekend I made a trip to the park on Saturday and Sunday. I have to say Hershey Park is personally my favorite park never having a bad visit. The free parking with the preview plan as well as the preview plan itself is incredible, we got 3 1/2 free hours in the park Saturday night. Admission and parking Sunday only came out to 72 dollars, the price of one day ticket at Great Adventure, it really is remarkable how much nicer and cheaper Hershey park is. The park gives off a very European/old school vibe to me which I never really noticed before. The lines were short all weekend, the chocolate tour and Skyrush Saturday night both ended up being the longest with around a half hour wait each. Now lets get on to the rides:

Comet 2x - All I have to say is wow. I haven't ridden this thing in 5 years and I must have forgotten about the incredible airtime in the back, I was flying out of my seat most of the ride.

SooperDooperLooper 1x - It's a classic family coaster with a forceful loop. I gave it a night ride, the tunnel was awesome. The line was surprisingly long, I waited about 20 minutes for it. Most of the line was family and kids, it's good to see such a classic still popular with the family GP.

SkyRush 4x - Okay so this is what I really came here for. My first ever ride on this beast was a night right front row on the right end seat and let me tell you something, this thing was unlike anything I've ever experienced. This ride launched itself into my #1 spot, I loved everything about it. The lift was incredible, I knew it was fast but not that fast. The airtime was the most intense ejector airtime I've ever had on a coaster even more so then El Toro. It literally feels like you are going to be launched out of your seat the ride is so incredibly forceful it can't be described to a person they just have to ride. You have no control during this coaster, you're at the mercy of the ride. As for the people complaining about the restraints and thigh pain, It really was over exaggerated. I liked the restraints I thought they gave amazing freedom to the rider. As for peoples thighs being crushed, it's just from the intensity of the ride and the airtime trying to throw you out of the train. If you can't deal with the intensity then don't ride but don't bash the ride. This ride left me in awe every time I rode it.

Great Bear - This Invert was always on the lower end of my B&M Invert list but after riding it again, it really is a fun ride. I like the funky layout since Hershey only had so much room to work with. The turn around and drop are awesome, as is the first half of the ride. After the corkscrew though you just kinda meander around. I wish they could have done more with that ending which is why it doesn't rank higher on my list.

Fahrenheit 2x - I always enjoyed this coaster but severely underrated it. Fahrenheit is such a fun ride and a hit still with the GP. The vertical lift is awesome and the first drop provides great airtime. Fahrenheit was smooth through the inversions and transitions, I also love that airtime hill before the break run.

WildCat 1x - Not as rough as everyone makes it out too be. It's not a bad ride but if any coaster was going to be removed from the park it would be Wildcat. It has such beautiful landscaping around it and it's queue line. It's a shame nobody rides it, Wildcat just sits abandoned between Fahrenheit and Lightning Racer.

Lightening Racer 2x - Rode this once on each side and it's still an amazingly fun ride. I went 2-0 this weekend so I was pretty happy with my undefeated results . I rode it twice in the morning and the ride was empty. Does it usually fill up more towards the end of the day?

SideWinder 1x - Not even new trains could save this Vekoma piece of junk. Ouch.

StormRunner 2x - My former favorite in the park pre-Skyrush. I gave it two rides once in the front and once in the back and both still provide an amazing ride. Stormrunner really doesn't let up from start the finish. Great airtime over the top hat, funky Immalen inversion thing, then the double barrel roll/flying snake dive is still unlike any inversion i've ever experienced on a coaster. It is truly unique. Also the head chopper effect of the monorail during the Stengal Dive is kickass.

Overall it was a great weekend at Hershey. I hope I can get back soon to get more rides on Skyrush.

^I'm glad you had a nice trip. Even happier to see you had the same reaction to Skyrush as me when you rode it. That coaster jumped to the top of my list too even over El Toro and Maverick.

I have to disagree about Sidewinder's trains though. I thought they were a tremendous help. Having ridden Flashback since then, I can feel the difference a new train makes. It goes from a below average ride to at least average imo.

The third clue from Hersheypark makes me think it's going to be an indoor spinning coaster.Or maybe a 4D dark ride like Toy Story Midway Mania. That also spins a lot.

"You'll have a distorted view while spinning, too."

Guys! The 2015 attraction will be called 'The Rolo-coaster!' See this: http://www.hersheypark.com/therolocoaster

Looks like they were quick to take that down! Nice catch though, definitely seems like something unique. Could anyone think maybe a zac-spin? Or possibly a S&S 4D "free spin" prototype? Just because they said you'll be spinning while seeing the view makes me think it won't be indoor?

^I'm glad you had a nice trip. Even happier to see you had the same reaction to Skyrush as me when you rode it. That coaster jumped to the top of my list too even over El Toro and Maverick.

I have to disagree about Sidewinder's trains though. I thought they were a tremendous help. Having ridden Flashback since then, I can feel the difference a new train makes. It goes from a below average ride to at least average imo.

I could not agree more about Sidewinder! I LOVE Boomerangs (I know I'm a rare breed with that) and I think this one is extremely comfortable.

You have no control during this coaster, you're at the mercy of the ride.

I think this is a pretty accurate description. Nice that you enjoyed it (not that it was a surprise)

As for peoples thighs being crushed, it's just from the intensity of the ride and the airtime trying to throw you out of the train. If you can't deal with the intensity then don't ride but don't bash the ride.

I don't really feel like going into the restraint discussion again but I have to say I disagree. It's not that straightforward.

Looks like you had a fun visit. Hershey is also one of my if not the favourite park of mine.