TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Yeah but it's wrong for them to cater to people who are unhealthy at the expense of those who aren't.. They should design them properly and then reject those who can't get them to touch their thighs.

Also Considering how short the bottom portion of the seats are, the bar is put so far forward that when resting on one's thighs, it's fairly close to the edge of the seat. If a person's thighs were big enough, I could imagine that it would be easy for someone to slide out.

Yeah but it's wrong for them to cater to people who are unhealthy at the expense of those who aren't.. They should design them properly and then reject those who can't get them to touch their thighs.

Hmm. I'm not sure it has much to do with personal health. With the forces this ride produces and the way those forces tighten restraints further, having this kind of pressure on abdomen/internal organs seems like it would be a lawsuit waiting to happen—regardless of physical health. If you think about possible alternatives, as far as the restraints go, it really does seem like this is the best they can do without altering the ride itself. Extreme pressure on fat and muscle is probably a more viable option than pressure on lower intestines.

They could try the restraint system from Knoebels Phoenix and see what happens

I agree!

Also Considering how short the bottom portion of the seats are, the bar is put so far forward that when resting on one's thighs, it's fairly close to the edge of the seat. If a person's thighs were big enough, I could imagine that it would be easy for someone to slide out.

I have a very hard time imagining anybody slipping out of Skyrush's restraints. Thighs are much less fatty than waists, the bar can squeeze down and get a solid grip regardless of size.

I imagine it would be more likely for the ride to break someone's legs one day than letting anyone slip out.

For those who've ridden thunderbolt at Coney Island, how did the freedom the restraints provided compare to Skyrush's?

Hershey just released the second clue for their 2015 addition, and based on the first two clues in going to go out on a limb and say that it could be an indoor coaster with a vertical drop track like Verbolten or Th13teen. It speaks of a full house falling and being in the dark. It definitely wont be a drop tower now being in the dark.

I would like a drop tower. I think it would be more suitable than a coaster (given what they have).

Hersheypark has sent us a press release regarding a new partnership for their 2014 holiday shows...

Hersheypark and Hershey Lodge (divisions of Hershey Entertainment & Resorts) announced a partnership with Emmy® Award-winning New York City-based entertainment firm RWS and Associates to create the 2014 holiday stage productions at Hershey Lodge and The Music Box Theatre at Hersheypark as part of the annual Christmas in Hershey celebration.

“RWS brings all of their innovation in entertainment production and industry knowledge to the table, which is what drew us to them,” reports Hersheypark Director of Entertainment and Special Events, Cindy Altland. “Given that RWS’s home base is New York City, their team works closely with Broadway-level directors, choreographers, and designers and we are looking forward to bringing this quality of talent to Hershey.”

Many RWS staff members have a very personal connection to Hershey, having both attended and performed in Hersheypark shows in the past.

“While we are no stranger to working with the team at Hershey, all of us at RWS and Associates are overjoyed to be growing that relationship to create their holiday shows,” said RWS CEO Ryan Stanza. “Seeing the shows at Hersheypark as a child was one of the main inspirations for what I am doing today. RWS is ready to implement unique personal touches to take Hershey’s live entertainment to a new level.”

RWS and Associates is expanding their previously announced 2014 Audition Tour to include a talent search for Hershey’s holiday entertainment lineup. Singers and dancers that are specifically interested in performing with Hershey Entertainment this holiday season are encouraged to attend the two auditions dedicated to casting these shows.

Auditions will be held at Hershey School of Dance on July 11th or at Pearl Studios in New York City on September 15th. Additional audition information can be found at www.rwsandassociates.com/auditions.

RWS and Associates is a full-service, worldwide, EMMY® Award winning production company that provides the very best in custom-designed, as well as pre-packaged, events and live shows for corporations, theme parks, cruise ships, resorts, shopping centers and the fashion industry. Additionally, RWS is North America’s provider of branded stage shows and experiences. www.rwsandassociates.com

I imagine it would be more likely for the ride to break someone's legs one day than letting anyone slip out.

For those who've ridden thunderbolt at Coney Island, how did the freedom the restraints provided compare to Skyrush's

The lap bar on thunderbolt is much more comfortable. It swivels to allow a broader location of contact... The straps on the other hand concern me, right now there very loose, but they seem to be able to ratchet in the future, which I think would be very uncomfortable...

Oh, sorry. I rode them both back in June (Thunderbolt again in a few weeks at the TPR event!). I'd say they're pretty comparable, neither stood out to me as more or less constrictive... I'd say there pretty on par with each other. If anything, I would say that the straps on Thunderbolt does nothing but bother you and possibly take away your focus during the ride.

So about "Thighcrush"... are the restraints actually fat-friendly? If I fit on El Toro, could I fit on Skyrush? You say the restraints staple you by the thighs, so I imagine it is fairly accommodating? You are saying that the ride may have even been designed to be a bit more accomodating.

By the way, how is Skyrush in terms of breakdowns? I know it has restraint issues with comfort, but is it reliable? I just want to know a bit more about the reliability of new Intamins.

So about "Thighcrush"... are the restraints actually fat-friendly? If I fit on El Toro, could I fit on Skyrush? You say the restraints staple you by the thighs, so I imagine it is fairly accommodating? You are saying that the ride may have even been designed to be a bit more accomodating.

By the way, how is Skyrush in terms of breakdowns? I know it has restraint issues with comfort, but is it reliable? I just want to know a bit more about the reliability of new Intamins.

If you got on El Toro, Skyrush won't be a problem. I'm an average size (5'11", 155lbs), and El Toro felt about right whereas Skyrush felt like it was designed to accommodate some pretty hefty bodies. It never broke down when I was there, and although it did stack a bit, the ops were hammering the trains through.

I'm husky, and by far the snuggest fit was on Wildcat.

I had no issues at all on Skyrush (other than I HATED it), SuperDuperLooper, Great Bear, StormRunner, or Racer.

if you've been to Dorney, that park is the only one that I even had a slight issue with, on Talon, in the "regular" seat. . it clicked, but the operator had to push. But that was the only coaster on our cross Penn trip we had issues with in regards to size.

if that helps.

I hesitate to post too much about this, but I've been shown a picture from one of my old acquaintances who is getting to work on "something at Hersheypark". In the photo one can just make out some sort track system curled tightly around inside a building. Can't say much more than that, but from the little I've seen it does look very interesting and worth looking forward too.

Skyrush never broke down while I was there either. Not sure if it has had any bigger problems, though.

When I was there 2 years ago, Skyrush got stuck on the lift for 15-20 minutes but other than that, it ran without interruption all day.

^I usually try to get to the park 15 - 30 minutes before opening to get a good parking spot and beat the crowds, and I try to get on Fahrenheit first given its low capacity. Then, I go all the way to Lightning Racer and make my way backwards through the park. Afterwards, I re-ride what I deem worthwhile.

It never broke down when I was there, and although it did stack a bit, the ops were hammering the trains through.

SkyRush has to stack. When running two trains in Auto mode, they can't dispatch until the one parks on the waiting block and the restraints pop.

It never broke down when I was there, and although it did stack a bit, the ops were hammering the trains through.

SkyRush has to stack. When running two trains in Auto mode, they can't dispatch until the one parks on the waiting block and the restraints pop.

To add to this, most of the time people are still boarding / being checked when the train reaches on the waiting block brake anyway. It really moves efficiently even though some might consider it "bad" station design.

^But if they are still being checked or even loading, wouldn't that mean that either the ride cycle is relatively quick (which it is) or that the dispatches are quite slow (and not the other way round)?

Indoor drop tower? The reason i'm skeptical about a dark ride is because get have the Hershey chocolate your just outside the park. But if they did a completely different theme with more fast moving sections then I could completely understand that.

I am leaning towards a dark ride. With the cartoonish look of the pictures I doubt its a permanent haunted house. Also they already have the Reeses Cup Challenge so in my opinion it would be silly to have 2 shooting dark rides. Red, White, and Blue to me gives it an American feel but then the crystal ball throws that off. Sorry, I am just thinking out loud here.