TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Can't vouch for this year, but as of late 2013 Fahrenheit always had the longest lines, by far! Seems this has continued.

What is real crazy is that ride got better for me over time! I used to not like it at all, but last couple of times it was better? Felt more forceful and just, more fun. I have no idea.

Seems redundant, but I'll chime in anyway.

I expected the worst regarding the restraints on Skyrush but didn't find them to be *that* bad. Yes, that first turn is what staples you and starts to cut off the circulation, but I found the whole ride to be about endurance—it was kind of like trying to hold your breath for 60 seconds or so. The fact that they pre-release the restraints on the brake run illustrates just how tight those things get. It was as if I had to physically exert myself in order to enjoy the ride.

When I was there, the station was empty pretty much all day but the park was fairly dead. Personally, I didn't think the coaster was that great although I did ride it a lot (15 or so times). It never feel unsafe to me, but it did feel unpleasant and a bit of a wasted opportunity. Ultimately, it is an impressive and extreme coaster, but I had more issues with it than just with the restraints.

I personally found Fahrenheit to be a better ride—better pacing, more impressive elements etc. Although I'm no fan of barrel roles and cobra rolls, the lift, drop, pretzel things, drop out of pretzel thingy, and airtime hill at the end were all great. On Skyrush it was more like awesome lifthill, gaaahhhhh!, awesome final airtime hill, gaaahhhhhh!

I personally found Fahrenheit to be a better ride—better pacing, more impressive elements etc.

Did you really find Fahrenheit's pacing better than Skyrush's?? I think of the main strengths of skyrush is precisely how fast it is through the entire layout. I don't have anything against your preference, that's your opinion, but I just thought that those two rides couldn't be compared for their pacing.

I personally found Fahrenheit to be a better ride—better pacing, more impressive elements etc.

Did you really find Fahrenheit's pacing better than Skyrush's?? I think of the main strengths of skyrush is precisely how fast it is through the entire layout. I don't have anything against your preference, that's your opinion, but I just thought that those two rides couldn't be compared for their pacing.

I did! To me, Skyrush was largely just extreme forces left, right, up, and down but the elements themselves weren't that engaging—they were simply there to create the forces. On Fahrenheit, the elements were less aggressive and therefore more enjoyable, but also, they looked cool both on and off the ride. It was as if they were more thoughtfully expressed, if that makes any sense? (I'm probably not the best resource though as I find myself growing more and more cynical about rides that go out of their way to be as extreme as possible—it's almost as if other criteria are left behind in lieu of "how fast and hard can we throw people around?")

Plus, I think I must be one of the only people on here who didn't find Fahrenheit to be rough / rattly in the slightest. Skyrush, on the other hand, was jarring at numerous points.

I also learned through riding Skyrush, El Toro and Nitro that I'm not impressed by extreme ejector air, but I love floater air! Coming form California where airtime doesn't exist, I always thought that Goliath had some moments of what enthusiasts considered to be "floater air" but now I know that's not the case as the air on Nitro literally felt like I was floating for several seconds. On Goliath, I was more like "was that air? I'm not sure . . . maybe it was?" Ejector air, however, just felt more like getting into a fight or something

Edited by Rotura Violenta

^Why didn't they go for a dual station like storm runner or one where two trains are dispatched at the same time like maverick?

Maverick has the mid-course launch with serves as a mid-course block then they can send off another train I believe. Whereas Fahrenheit doesn't have a block after the lift until the first brakes. So a double dispatch wouldn't work.

^I didn't find Fahrenheit rattly at all either. I did enjoy it, just not as much as Storm Runner, for example.

I found Storm Runner to be rattly and just weird. I think I may have written about the second half of the B&M inverted one the same way, but Storm Runner felt to me like someone started a ride in RCT3, made the launch and the top hat and then just hit "auto complete" for the rest. It was a strange series of elements to me.

I should say that I *loved* the park, even though I probably sound overly critical.

^I loved Storm Runner. I think it rides really well despite all of its funkiness, which looks kind of cool. It's my second favourite coaster and I just wish it was a little longer.

I don't know why but I quite liked this part. It does feel and especially look weird but I thought it was an interesting touch.

stormrunner7.jpg.6c1fc3ebda33266a9e263c74c43e2667.jpg

LOVED the look of that Storm Runner ending, but riding it really didn't do much of anything. The launch and top hat were great, and there was a nice pop of air right before it does that elevated roll thing (there's probably a term for this that I'm unaware of), but other than that, it was a bit of a rattle-fest. Surprisingly intense and dizzying, I found—as did one other rider I saw as the train rolled back into the station and they puked all over themselves. Fun!

^Oh I've never seen anyone puking on a coaster! I also liked (and didn't expect) the pop of air before the roll, although not quite as much as Fahrenheit's hill near the end.

^I didn't find Fahrenheit rattly at all either. I did enjoy it, just not as much as Storm Runner, for example.

I found Storm Runner to be rattly and just weird. I think I may have written about the second half of the B&M inverted one the same way, but Storm Runner felt to me like someone started a ride in RCT3, made the launch and the top hat and then just hit "auto complete" for the rest. It was a strange series of elements to me.

I should say that I *loved* the park, even though I probably sound overly critical.

yeah, the launch and tophat are pretty cool, but the smoothness through the inversions is lacking for me. you just seem to hang there waiting to go through the elements. one spot I think some coasters lack. however, I don't really feel it on Fahrenheit.

Personally, I didn't think the coaster was that great although I did ride it a lot (15 or so times). It never feel unsafe to me, but it did feel unpleasant and a bit of a wasted opportunity. Ultimately, it is an impressive and extreme coaster, but I had more issues with it than just with the restraints.

Very interesting thoughts on Skyrush. I will never turn down a ride on Skyrush and am even willing to marathon it, yet I don't consider myself a fan. It may sound like I'm just trying to be contrary, but I'm truly willing to keep trying to "get" it. And I did find the restraints more uncomfortable than purely painful, though I totally sympathize with the continued complaints (they're still equally valid no matter when or how many times they're posted). It does seem like there's something missing amidst all the attempts at "extremeness."

To me, Skyrush was largely just extreme forces left, right, up, and down but the elements themselves weren't that engaging—they were simply there to create the forces. On Fahrenheit, the elements were less aggressive and therefore more enjoyable, but also, they looked cool both on and off the ride. It was as if they were more thoughtfully expressed, if that makes any sense? (I'm probably not the best resource though as I find myself growing more and more cynical about rides that go out of their way to be as extreme as possible—it's almost as if other criteria are left behind in lieu of "how fast and hard can we throw people around?")

I also learned through riding Skyrush, El Toro and Nitro that I'm not impressed by extreme ejector air, but I love floater air!

I am starting to feel more tempered enthusiasm for ejector airtime. A lot of people really only go for ejector, but I've found I enjoy pretty much all forms of airtime, and there's not necessarily one particular strength or interpretation that automatically does it for me. Also, I've long enjoyed the gentler forces on some coasters that can't necessarily be described as "tame," but aren't considered "extreme," which is why at times I've been a fan of Silver Bullet and other B&M rides. Fahrenheit is definitely in the category of "admittedly tame, but somehow still really fun" for me, and I rank it above Skyrush.

^Oh I've never seen anyone puking on a coaster! I also liked (and didn't expect) the pop of air before the roll, although not quite as much as Fahrenheit's hill near the end.

If you sit near the front, that pop of airtime carries right through the hangtime of the heartline roll and the flying snake dive. It's a pretty cool moment, maybe one of my favorites. On a good day, it feels like airtime while upside down, rather than just hangtime (at least that's the best way I can think to put it into words).

Personally, I didn't think the coaster was that great although I did ride it a lot (15 or so times). It never feel unsafe to me, but it did feel unpleasant and a bit of a wasted opportunity. Ultimately, it is an impressive and extreme coaster, but I had more issues with it than just with the restraints.

Very interesting thoughts on Skyrush. I will never turn down a ride on Skyrush and am even willing to marathon it, yet I don't consider myself a fan. It may sound like I'm just trying to be contrary, but I'm truly willing to keep trying to "get" it. And I did find the restraints more uncomfortable than purely painful, though I totally sympathize with the continued complaints (they're still equally valid no matter when or how many times they're posted). It does seem like there's something missing amidst all the attempts at "extremeness."

To me, Skyrush was largely just extreme forces left, right, up, and down but the elements themselves weren't that engaging—they were simply there to create the forces. On Fahrenheit, the elements were less aggressive and therefore more enjoyable, but also, they looked cool both on and off the ride. It was as if they were more thoughtfully expressed, if that makes any sense? (I'm probably not the best resource though as I find myself growing more and more cynical about rides that go out of their way to be as extreme as possible—it's almost as if other criteria are left behind in lieu of "how fast and hard can we throw people around?")

Fahrenheit is definitely in the category of "admittedly tame, but somehow still really fun" for me, and I rank it above Skyrush.

Amen to that on the whole Skyrush thing. Ridden it a handful of times, like it, but it does not truly excite me as much as a Fahrenheit.

I am also one that for some reason LIKES Wildcat. Love the out of control, rough wooden GCI...especially the back seat.

Hershey just released the second clue for their 2015 addition, and based on the first two clues in going to go out on a limb and say that it could be an indoor coaster with a vertical drop track like Verbolten or Th13teen. It speaks of a full house falling and being in the dark. It definitely wont be a drop tower now being in the dark.

^Oh still has the longest lines in the park usually the whole day. Thus why you should go to it right at opening!

And as for mentioned above, I don't really think the hill was designed to push people back in their seats, but rather because of how the ride was designed in the small space provided. Honestly at this point with it being open for almost 3 years now I don't think they will ever change the restraints. Even tis year I have noticed in my back row left wing seat the foam seems to be EVEN softer as I can actually grab the foam and squeeze it with great leeway.

The president of Intamin disagrees with you:

(Skip to around 3:10)

Like I said, the lift hill was specifically designed to make you slide back in your seat so the restraint would fall where the designers intended. At least one person is claiming you can keep this from working, personally I would never try it myself because it is clearly not the safest way to ride. I wouldn't recommend anyone else try it either, because you have to remember, being wedged firmly between the lap bar and the seat is the only thing standing between you and certain catastrophic injury/death. Who's to say you won't slide backwards on one of the ejector hills, leaving just enough wiggle room for you to slip out? Sure, say it's impossible, but would you have said the same thing if I'd asked about the likelihood of someone being ejected from NTG at the beginning of last year? It happens when the restraint system doesn't work as intended, which is exactly what's happening when you ride this way.

Also, Sidewinder operated for twenty years before getting a completely different restraint system. New restraints for Skyrush are definitely not out of the question.

^I'm nearly positive it was to accommodate a wider variety of body sizes/shapes, and to prevent another S:ROS incident. Their only thought was "safety!" not "comfort!", but I do think the restraints will eventually be overhauled.

EDIT: Also, it feels less secure but it most definitely is just as secure, and probably more so, because everybody's thighs are basically shaped the same way. Securing someone at the waist area, as we've seen, comes with a few more variables.

Why would they have designed the bar to sit where it does? That makes it not only more painful but less secure than having it right at the midsection..

Well, it makes the ride feel open and unrestrained—which I'm assuming adds to the thrill (if you find being flung around a thrill). As the more dangerous forces on the ride seem to come from the sustained upward thrusts (the forward thrust on the drop is extremely brief), these restraints act as the equivalent of someone pushing down on your legs rather than pushing more toward your stomach. Plus, with the force that you hit at the bottom of the first drop, any restraints that are more toward the midsection could cause some real issues if they push that hard against the abdomen. As it stands, the ride feels like it's cutting off circulation by the time you get to the end—that kind of pressure on internal organs could be trouble. Personally, I suspect that the design is somewhat to blame as well as the restraints, but the last thing this ride needs is to have some Yolo-coaster style trims running all the way down the drop.