TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I still think if it was going to be a coaster, A) they'd have started the hype campaign earlier, and B) the poster would suggest something more scary and extreme, and less "nostalgic". Just not getting a coaster vibe at all. Not a major coaster anyway, but I could see it being a spinning wild mouse.

Considering that this is a straight-up press release and not some convoluted stealth marketing campaign that has everyone guessing for months, I would say that this new attraction probably isn't a roller coaster.

I think you're probably right that this won't be a major coaster but my argument against your statement would be that some large coasters don't even get hinted at until right before the announcement such as Goliath at SFGam.

With the last two coasters at Hersheypark having arguably the greatest viral marketing campaigns in the history of history, it would be very surprising if they didn't build on that tactic again for their next.

Too soon for a new coaster. Given the fortune teller and the phrase "a new spin on an old classic", my guess is Vekoma mad house. An indoor spinning wild mouse would be much more preferable though.

To be fair, it's only a year before the normal four-year schedule would have them getting one. I'm also not sure that Vekoma even builds madhouses anymore, or why Hersheypark would even consider buying one in this day and age.

I read the 'candy apple and a bag of popcorn' to be a hint at boardwalk food, and maybe the firework to be a hint at a launch. Put those together, and I'm guessing a ProSlide electromagnetic water slide - a new take on an old classic.

I don't know if Vekoma still makes mad houses, but if they did it would make a fine family addition for Hershey. The one at SFGAdv is popular enough, I mean it's possibly the only ride they've ever saved just because of how mad people were when they said they were going to get rid of it. There's nothing particularly outdated about that style of attraction. Anything that gets rid of that terrible Reeses Cup Challenge ride would be practically as good as a coaster.

That being said, I'm thinking it could be any type of large flat ride, seeing as most of them spin. Mega Disk'O maybe? As far as "old classic" is concerned, Hershey has a lot of history and defunct rides that they could use as theming, kind of like when they "recreated" Wildcat. And as much as I hate to say it, a big new water ride going in RollerSoaker's old spot would make the most sense. If I had to put money on it, it would be on a Boardwalk addition.

We are planning a trip out there, to Gettysburg from Ohio, and we were thinking of hitting Hersheypark either on Sunday before labor Day (Aug 31) or the following week Saturday Sept 6th. Either week would have Kennywood the following day. Do you locals, based on History of crowds, have a suggestion? Going in August means we could get a day at Knoebles on Friday Aug 29, though, but that's not a deal-breaker.

Screamscape put out something by All American Thrills today saying that the Music Express, Whip, Kiddie Rides and Midway Tent are being removed. Not saying it's gonna happen because I read it on the internet, but just saying, if that much space is being cleared by the road, it has to be a coaster.

Screamscape put out something by All American Thrills today saying that the Music Express, Whip, Kiddie Rides and Midway Tent are being removed. Not saying it's gonna happen because I read it on the internet, but just saying, if that much space is being cleared by the road, it has to be a coaster.

This. Not that agree everything is being taken out but with the bedrock testing that happened earlier this Spring along the fence by Wildcat I think the new attraction will go there. Again I agree I cant see this being a huge coaster, likely a new flat. Maybe they bring back something similar to the old Giant double wheel that used to be behind the Arena but make it inverting? I don't know just speculation

Boardwalk expansion. If this is true I'm 99.9% certain it will be a giant water slide/coaster of some variety.

I was thinking some more about the card with a fortune teller on it. The automated fortune teller booths are a typical boardwalk attraction. I'm guessing every week will be another image of something boardwalk-related.

Also, if that's true, wow removing two classic family flats for a single thrill ride... that really, really, really sucks. Also, even fewer people would ride Lightning Racer. This is all inevitable really but wow.

Also, if that's true, wow removing two classic family flats for a single thrill ride... that really, really, really sucks. Also, even fewer people would ride Lightning Racer. This is all inevitable really but wow.

I'm still sticking with my guns in saying that we may see Midway America (Whip, Music Express, the Ferris Wheel and Lightning Racer included) be "relocated" to the new park expansion when they start developing it. I know it's a big operation to relocate a permanently-installed wooden coaster (let alone two) but I don't think that it's impossible...

Also, as sympathetic as I am toward Wildcat and as much as I enjoy it in certain rows of the train, I wouldn't expect it to make the trip if they did something like that. But speculation is speculation!

I don't think anything will get relocated but if its between Lightning Racer and the waterpark, I'd bet the house on the waterpark moving before Lightning Racer. Think about it. Their waterpark is small and it has to be easier to move a few waterslides than an entire roller coaster, especially a wooden one. But like I said, I doubt any major relocation will even happen.

I don't think anything will get relocated but if its between Lightning Racer and the waterpark, I'd bet the house on the waterpark moving before Lightning Racer. Think about it. Their waterpark is small and it has to be easier to move a few waterslides than an entire roller coaster, especially a wooden one. But like I said, I doubt any major relocation will even happen.

I don't think there'd be anything easy about moving a wave pool and a lazy river, both large concrete structures built into the ground. Plus the water slides, plus the huge children's play area, plus all the accompanying buildings, etc. They have way too much money invested in it to knock it down and move it somewhere else.

And I still don't see LR being relocated either. My prediction was they'd keep that section of the park dry, with the Whip/Musical Express, LR, and a new coaster in Wildcat's spot to anchor it. But if the rumors are true and those flat rides are being removed, and if I'm right and it's to make way for a Boardwalk expansion, then I wouldn't count on either Wildcat or LR being there in ten years, maybe less.

Of course, if that's all true, then it doesn't even make sense in the short term for LR to still be there, because it will literally be sitting in the middle of a water park. Everybody in the area would be wearing a swimsuit, and no one will want to change just to ride it, it would be as good as SBNO. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. (This is all IF that rumor is true and IF I'm right, a lot of if's.)

Now the rumor is they're removing those rides and building a large structure to hold a dark ride or indoor roller coaster. I don't buy it though. If you're going to build it by the road, why would you cover it up? Build something big and let it be seen. Also, I hope Lightning Racer never goes anywhere...That coaster is just too good to let go. I say build a huge steel coaster beside it and Lightning Racer will get the amount of riders it deserves.

Hi there, new to the board, looking for some Hersheypark expertise...

We will be at the park planning on taking advantage of the preview time Sunday evening July 13th and then the day in the park Monday July 14th.

I've got a couple of questions.

First, any recommended coaster riding sequences? Coasters that are notorious for being slow to load (like cycle rides) or notorious for having crowds all day? Anything you'd specifically recommend getting on Sunday night? Please, enlighten me! Last time I was at Hershey the Soaker Coaster had just opened... I think that's right... so it's changed a bit LOL

Second, I'm trying to find the best deal for discounted tickets. I've seen the online Pennsylvania Dutch Scout tickets (2 adults ends up being 93.70 with fees)

http://padutchbsa.org/discounted-hersheypark-tickets/

and have heard a rumor of a better deal at Giant Food Stores, but the details online indicate that the price is basically the same and the free parking voucher isn't offered anymore (June 30th) but I have no idea how accurate that is.

https://www.giantfoodstores.com/shareddev/sharedcontent/sp/HersheyPark/

Any suggestions for me? There are rumors of coupons at Subway, but I can't find details and so have no idea if that would be better or worse.

Thanks in advance. I'm really looking forward to the trip!

Coasters that are notorious for being slow to load (like cycle rides) or notorious for having crowds all day? Anything you'd specifically recommend getting on Sunday night? Please, enlighten me! Last time I was at Hershey the Soaker Coaster had just opened... I think that's right... so it's changed a bit LOL

All of the queues in the park move at reasonable speeds based on two-train operation with the exception of Fahrenheit which is dreadfully low-capacity. I would consider tackling the coasters at the front of the park (Skyrush, Comet, Great Bear, Sooperdooperlooper) during your preview period and then trying out the coasters in the back of the park the following morning.

Of course, this is all dependent on the competence of the operators. What should have been a ten-minute wait for Lightning Racer turned into a twenty-minute wait for me thanks to super-slow operations with only one train per side...

I was just at Giant this morning. The tickets are just under $45 with a Bonus Card (the store rewards card) plus tax and parking is no longer included. As for the rides, on your second day head straight to Fahrenheit first. The line is dreadfully slow and there is no shade. I have good luck going from back to front after that (heading all the way back to Lightning Racer and coming to the front going to Storm Runner then Trailblazer).

My front yard was almost literally a river during that storm. This was the second horrible storm that the area got this week as Tuesday's knocked down quite a few trees and large branches around the park and area. Supposedly the park didn't close so I'm guessing the water quickly drained out. This area is kind of in a valley as there's a hill to go down to get to the gate and a hill to go up to get into the park and a flood wall next to the creek.