TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I doubt that there are any plans in the works for moving the woodies out. I would expect them to turn that half of the park into more boardwalk area, but not until Wildcat and LR are taken out (hopefully not for a while).

The Comet has been operational since 1946 and still going strong......That gives the new woodies at least till 2070 to be that old and then maybe be considered for removal. I guess I won't be around to see the expansion....LOL.

There is no way they would move the Boardwalk...

Really, I mean let's be realistic here. The Boardwalk isn't going anywhere and neither is Lightning Racer, at least not any time soon. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if before that happens they rebuild the arena somewhere else and use that area to expand. If anything, maybe since people are so gaga over water slides, they'll turn the new land they're getting next year into a second water park, something more exotic and jungle-themed.

Ug, I think I'm going to have nightmares about that tonight. Within 100 years every coaster in the country will be ripped out and replaced with a freakin water slide... nobody ever complains about the restraints on water slides...

I think in my mind after riding Wildcat a few weeks ago that it is more "intense" and not rough. That thing seriously hauls A$$ through the course and I'm sure it throws some pretty good +G's at you. A few years back it did have the jack hammer/ pot hole effect, but that seems to have disappeared. I kinda like it the way it is.

Yeah totally agreed. People get confused by the sensation of intensity on wooden coasters. Similarly people find voyage to be rough, when it's actually just intense. Lightning race does may be "smoother" but it's also pretty forceless. Wildcat is a much more thrilling ride in my opinion.

^ I just rode Wildcat yesterday (four times). I did find it to be rough (rather than intense), but no more rough than other wooden coasters I've ridden. I did, however, find it to be generally crap. It struck me that the ride was built to maximize aesthetic appeal (it's a good looking coaster), but that came at the expense of the ride itself. Lots of swooping turns look nice, but with nary a drop of any real notoriety to be found, I found swoop after swoop after swoop to be insipid. I rated it poorly, in part because of the way it ran, but also because I simply didn't find the layout to be conducive to a good ride experience—it was somewhere between dull and pointless for me. And yes, I thought Lightning Racer was much better in terms of ride experience (variety of elements, all well sequenced, and with a totally immersive layout). A rough coaster can be granted a modicum of leeway if the layout itself is good (Ghost Rider, for example), but WC blew on all levels, IMO.

I think in my mind after riding Wildcat a few weeks ago that it is more "intense" and not rough. That thing seriously hauls A$$ through the course and I'm sure it throws some pretty good +G's at you. A few years back it did have the jack hammer/ pot hole effect, but that seems to have disappeared. I kinda like it the way it is.

Yeah totally agreed. People get confused by the sensation of intensity on wooden coasters. Similarly people find voyage to be rough, when it's actually just intense. Lightning race does may be "smoother" but it's also pretty forceless. Wildcat is a much more thrilling ride in my opinion.

I disagree. Wildcat has a great, speedy layout, but it is also simply rough, there is no getting around it. Compare it to Twister at Knoebels to know what a forceful, lateral-filled ride is supposed to feel like. Also, if they'd do the complete retracking WC so badly needs it would run faster and be even more intense.

My tour group is planning a Hershey trip in August and it will be our first. I am so excited! My question to you locals/regulars is, what's the best way to get a deal on admission? Are there local coupons, or group packages available? There are six of us and we will be there for two days, so 12 admissions total. I'd appreciate any help I can get!

My tour group is planning a Hershey trip in August and it will be our first. I am so excited! My question to you locals/regulars is, what's the best way to get a deal on admission? Are there local coupons, or group packages available? There are six of us and we will be there for two days, so 12 admissions total. I'd appreciate any help I can get!

The best deal would be to get the two-day flex admission. It is $77 so it works out to $38.50 for each day. They can be purchased at Ticketing Services in Tram Circle. I also advise purchasing a meal ticket for $13.75 as it includes a refillable souvenir drink cup, which itself is a $9 value. Chickie's and Pete's as well as Spring Creek Smokehouse can be used on the ticket.

I could see them taking Wildcat out all together and move Wild Mouse to expand Boardwalk. They wouldn't even have to use all the land and add a few thrilling flats which this park does lack in. They could use the new land they have to make a brand new RMC to replace Wildcat, so more would be gained than lost.

It'll be interesting to see how they go from here, for sure. I wish they had waited on the Boardwalk until they had the extra plot of land to dedicate to it, though ten years from now I wouldn't be too surprised if all of Midway America is gone so that it can expand. Lightning Racer works where it is, especially as a backdrop to the slides and pools, though it would be nice to see it get some of its popularity back (especially in months where the Boardwalk closure makes it a total dead-end). Maybe down the line we'll see it surrounded by water slides and they'll start allowing guests to ride in their bathing suits? Kind of like how Holiday World ran Pilgrim's Plunge, just minus the water.

we discovered that by staying on property, you get an extra hour on the preview night (so 3 1/2 hours entry prior to close) and an hour early the days of your visit. On preview night, we hit all coasters as walk on and still got back to the hotel for sleep with plenty of extra time. It sure helped the next day when I didn't feel bad skipping the insane line on Storm Runner!

Hershey Lodge was very reasonable (comparable to price for a Hilton/Mariott), and the restaurants on property were all very good too.

you can buy discounted admission at the concierge desk near check in.

AND you get free shuttle service to the park, so that saves parking costs.

so if staying on property is an option, i'd suggest that, as that's what we did.

HP has quite a bit of Boardwalk room to expand for the time being. My suggestions...

- LIM slide on Roller Soaker's old spot above the sprayground. You could re-purpose the old station and have it travel along the border of the park and back over the sprayground.

- Remove Tidal Force. Those rides are going the way of the dinosaur anyway. They're typically high maintenance and it sits smack dab in the middle of the Boardwalk area. Stick a few dropout slides like Snake Pit and add a few new water features for kids. You could probably add another restaurant and possibly another water slide in that area.

- Remove Wildcat. It's a pretty crappy coaster filled with potholes and rough turns, especially toward the end of the ride. There's enough real estate back there for a few large, high capacity, family-style slides. A combo slide like Colossal Curl and/or a mat racer would be perfect for that spot. Stick another eatery and a few more water features and you have a complete water park.

The Boardwalk area still seems fairly cramped for the stuff they have. The lines looked unbearable last July (easily the worst lines in the park first thing in the morning - later in the day, it got worse).If there were at least more high capacity attractions, it probably wouldn't have a huge problem.

At Giant, they sell discounted tickets.

Finally got back to Hershey on Tuesday for the first time in 7-8 years. Skyrush and Fahrenheit were both new credits for me.

Skyrush - New #1. Late to the party on this but wow, what a fantastic ride. Front seat is amazing visually but back wing seats have the most ridiculous forces I have experienced on a coaster. Getting yanked down the first drop in the back quickly cemented this as my favorite ride. Ejector air has new meaning for me.

I get what people complain about regarding the restraints but I found it to be minor discomfort rather than earth shattering pain. During the extreme airtime moments, it feels like you are being held in the train by a 1-inch section of your thighs. It seems this could be alleviated by recontouring the restraints to be more ergonomic.

Fahrenheit - Pretty solid, nothing mind blowing. Norwegian loop is a lot of fun but there was some bad rattle in the cobra roll. I enjoyed the sweeping turn by the lift followed by the perfectly executed airtime hill the most.

Everything with the exception of Fahrenheit was a couple train wait at most making for a great day to get laps in. On a less ecstatic note, the ride operations at the park are a lot worse than I remember. Ride ops constantly goofing off and lazily going about their duties would have made for a hellish day if it weren't for small lines to begin with. Despite that annoyance, I love this park - probably my favorite corporate park. Hopefully the mediocre operations are an anomaly as I could see things getting nightmarish on a busy Saturday.

During the extreme airtime moments, it feels like you are being held in the train by a 1-inch section of your thighs. It seems this could be alleviated by recontouring the restraints to be more ergonomic.

Perfectly said.

I enjoyed the sweeping turn by the lift followed by the perfectly executed airtime hill the most.

Also agree, that hill is great! I noticed quite a few people have been complaining it has a rattle. Is this new? Because I didn't really notice it last summer.

Was just at the park last night for the first time this year. Rode Skyrush 3 times one in front two in back. I must say the front seat ride I had was the best and smoothest, the back rows create a little rattle or jolt on the first turnaround but other than that it is as smooth as glass. I noticed train 2 to be running better

I noticed quite a few people have been complaining it has a rattle. Is this new? Because I didn't really notice it last summer.

This has been going on for several years at least. I've only heard the rattle, I've never actually felt it.

The park is offering a picnic buffet on July 4th from 5pm to 7pm for $14.75. Tickets for it can be bought online, at Hospitality Services the day of the event and Pioneer Frontier Catering. The town usually puts on a good fireworks show that can be seen perfectly in the Midway America and Boardwalk area. If you are going that day, expect traffic around the park.

http://www.hersheypa.com/things_to_do/event_calendar.php?id=13818&__utma=31210534.1968609211.1401588749.1402891142.1403576295.5&__utmb=31210534.2.10.1403576295&__utmc=31210534&__utmx=-&__utmz=31210534.1403576295.5.3.utmcsr=facebook.com|utmccn=(referral)

The 30th im going to hershey and the weather forcast shows rain and thunderstorms. Im hoping it will be nice because weather forecasts are not the most accurate a week in advance, but if it does rain, how is hershey with rain? Do they close their rides as soon as they see bad clouds or do they let the coasters run in the rain? Thunderstorms they would be closed obviously

The 30th im going to hershey and the weather forcast shows rain and thunderstorms. Im hoping it will be nice because weather forecasts are not the most accurate a week in advance, but if it does rain, how is hershey with rain? Do they close their rides as soon as they see bad clouds or do they let the coasters run in the rain? Thunderstorms they would be closed obviously

Everything runs unless it's thunder and/or lightning.

seriously, I rode StormRunner less than two weeks ago in an absolute downpour.

they didn't shut things down until the thunder started. (which confirmed what front desk at Hershey Lodge had told us. . even in rain, they run everything unless there is thunder or lightning)

Lighting Racer during a downpour is fantastic. It's doesn't go fast enough for the rain to hurt you but you get absolutely soaked.