TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Wait: was Storm Runner's track like that when it was new? Because last year it looked more like orange to me. Glad it's getting some paint.

You know, I thought so too. Maybe Storm Runner's track was always red when the ride first debuted and the paint start fading into that dull orange color. But the fresh coat of paint does make that coaster look great and soon the park will be filled with screams of riders once more.

I wouldn't classify it as orange by any means but rather pinkish.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from Hersheypark, it was crowded today, operations were a little rocky, Skyrush and Great Bear both had some down time, but Great Bear roared again, wait times were 10 minutes for Lighting Racer, 30 for Great Bear and Storm Runner, 45 for Wildcat, 60 for Fahrenheit and SooperdooperLooper, 75 minutes for Comet, and 90 minutes for Sidewinder, I still had a fun time and can't wait for my visit on the East Coast Tour.

Just got back from Hersheypark, it was crowded today, operations were a little rocky, Skyrush and Great Bear both had some down time, but Great Bear roared again, wait times were 10 minutes for Lighting Racer, 30 for Great Bear and Storm Runner, 45 for Wildcat, 60 for Fahrenheit and SooperdooperLooper, 75 minutes for Comet, and 90 minutes for Sidewinder, I still had a fun time and can't wait for my visit on the East Coast Tour.

What about Cocoa Cruiser and the other 2014 attractions?

• 2 weeks later...

Some road work updates and a hint at the future.......http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/05/hersheypark_adding_3_new_rides.html

Even as the 2014 season in Hersheypark is about to open, there are hints about things to come in 2015.

"We have not made that public yet. We will be making an announcement later this summer," said Kathy Burrows, Hersheypark spokeswoman.

Relocation of Park Boulevard, expected to get under way next year, will allow the park’s borders to expand for the first time in more than a decade. About 31 acres of the former Parkview Golf Course, closed in 2005, will be absorbed into the park, according to plans unveiled last year.

Hershey Entertainment & Resort Company’s engineers have made application to the Dauphin County Conservation District for a stormwater permit associated with construction activities for a project at 100 West Hersheypark Drive for Attraction 2015. It's not clear exactly what construction is involved with that permit.

Derry Township has not received land development plans for a 2015 ride project, said a spokeswoman in the community development department.

Usually such plans are filed when Hersheypark makes its announcement regarding a new ride, said James Negley, Derry Township manager.

Meanwhile, the current Park Boulevard relocation project continues. Preliminary engineering and environmental clearance is expected to be completed by July, and final design by December, Negley said.

The project will go out for bid in January 2015, and construction would be completed by October 2015-January 2016.

The estimated $21 million project will be paid for with about $12 million in state and federal funds, and the rest from Hershey Entertainment & Resorts, which is donating the land for the new roadway, worth an estimated $9 million.

For the 2014 season, Hersheypark is adding three new family-oriented rides. They include Cocoa Cruiser in Music Box Way, a gravity coaster designed to introduce younger riders to coasters; and Tea Cups and Sweet Swing in the Hollow area. A Chickie’s and Pete’s eatery will also open in Midway America, and a new ticket booth in Tram Circle.

Hersheypark added Shoreline Sprayground in 2013, and in 2012, Skyrush, billed as the park's tallest and fastest coaster.

Edited by larrygator

Just to help visualize the proposed expansions. The green line is the new path of Park Blv. and the Red is approximately the part that would be absorbed by the park.

Makes me wish they held off on the boardwalk and had put it here. It seems like an eye sore in the middle of the park. Regardless, it seems like Hersey has something big planned.

^^As much as I would love the road to go over that far, an earlier newspaper article had this in it where the road just kept going straight to the railroad tracks, then made a left turn:

I'm kind of excited for the new road not just because of the park possibly recieving land, but because it will get rid of the old bridge and all the annoying curves the road has. I think I heard somewhere that the one on the other side of the park near ZooAmerica might be replaced soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I find it interesting Coco Cruiser is the same colors as Skyrush.

I find it interesting that Coco Cruiser is a Zamperla family gravity coaster, one of the worst children's coaster there is. I would rather have seen them get a reguar wacky worm than this.

Had a great time at opening weekend yesterday. Almost everything was either a walk-on or station wait both early in the day and in the evening. Got 8 laps on Skyrush, running one train all day, it's much rougher in the wing seats than last year, doesn't matter which row. One of the roughest steel coasters I've been on. Still not nearly as bad in the center seats, and still an amazing coaster. Fahrenheit was also rough and bumpy especially exiting the cobra roll. Comet had a couple extremely brutal moments early on. In contrast, I had one of the best rides on Wildcat that I've had in a long time. Everything else ran like always. Terrible ops on Great Bear and a couple other places, to be expected though.

Not much to say about the new stuff, Cocoa Cruisers looks nice, like it's always been there. First time eating crab fries... they were pretty awful. Also, 8.29 for one serving (!), it's a huge serving though and you won't want to finish them anyway. Maybe they just dumped too much of the seasoning on.

I find it interesting that Coco Cruiser is a Zamperla family gravity coaster, one of the worst children's coaster there is. I would rather have seen them get a reguar wacky worm than this.

Yeah all the kids were b*@!&ing about it too! I heard things like "Zamperla sucks!" and "Great Pumpkin Coaster is so much more intense!"

Yeah all the kids were b*@!&ing about it too! I heard things like "Zamperla sucks!" and "Great Pumpkin Coaster is so much more intense!"

Got 8 laps on Skyrush, running one train all day, it's much rougher in the wing seats than last year, doesn't matter which row. One of the roughest steel coasters I've been on.

That sounds pretty extreme! Last year I only noticed some roughness in the turn after the first airtime hill. Hopefully you just caught in a very bad day as such an amazing ride can't go rough!

Got 8 laps on Skyrush, running one train all day, it's much rougher in the wing seats than last year, doesn't matter which row. One of the roughest steel coasters I've been on.

That sounds pretty extreme! Last year I only noticed some roughness in the turn after the first airtime hill. Hopefully you just caught in a very bad day as such an amazing ride can't go rough!

Interesting you say that, haven't been able to make it out to the park yet haven't been home....hopefully when I get back in June it is running better. I only ever noticed a rough rattle at the first curve by the dam.

It may get better as the season progresses. I couldn't even tell you what was the roughest part, everything between the first drop and the breaks was just seriously rattly. Again, center seats are much better, but it's still worth it to me to sit in the wings for the extra "flinging" action around the turns. So that should tell you it's still perfectly ride-able.

I love listening to some of the reactions of people coming off of it... "That didn't feel safe to me AT ALL." "Those seats are really poorly designed." "It was horrible! You're only held in by your thighs!" "Never again... never again..." I love it, especially the ones who look all offended like the ride called them ugly or something.

^I remember seeing a couple who didn't look very comfortable with the idea of riding it sitting in the very back (which, despite not being very different from the other seats, does pack a bigger punch in the drop). I just though: "Oh dear..."

^The one other place the back makes an appreciable difference is over that last sharp twist before the final airtime hill. It's downhill so the train has picked up more speed by the time you get to it and you get better whipping action.

^I think that what makes the biggest difference is taking the wing seats or not and not so much the car where you sit. On those ones the whipping action is more intense (it's noticeable in the Stengel dive and the twisted airtime hill where you get some nice laterals). I took around 5 or 6 rides on it and only one was in a middle seat (just to give it a try) as I liked the winged ones more.