TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I have seen Great Adventure run all the coasters even when the temperature was just over 30 degrees.

I've decided that Great Adventure really doesn't care about weather. Pretty much if there's no lightning in the area or snow on the tracks they'll open the coasters. Temperature and amount of precipitation mean nothing to them as long as people are still riding. Even if there is lightning they'll keep a lot of the low-to-the-ground flats open. I saw this first hand this year. We rode Rolling Thunder, El Toro and Nitro multiple times in a torrential downpour. It couldn't have been raining any harder.

The exception is Kingda Ka, anything more than an extremely light drizzle will close that ride.

We've also been there a few times with the temperatures in the low 30's, including the last day of the season a few years ago when there was snow on the ground and everything was open. Was that the day you were talking about in your post by any chance?

I have seen Great Adventure run all the coasters even when the temperature was just over 30 degrees.

We've also been there a few times with the temperatures in the low 30's, including the last day of the season a few years ago when there was snow on the ground and everything was open. Was that the day you were talking about in your post by any chance?

Yeah I was there that day. I called before going to make sure the coasters were still running. Also the Friday night of closing weekend this year it was also in the mid 30s.

• 3 weeks later...
Is anyone willing to throw out their ideas for the rumored project 2015? It seems there is a lot of interesting things going on at the park and its area!!

Just throwing this out there, but I think a drop tower ride from intamin or an S&S WorldWide tower would be a great fit as the park doesn't have a drop tower (correct me if I'm wrong).

Is anyone willing to throw out their ideas for the rumored project 2015? It seems there is a lot of interesting things going on at the park and its area!!

Intamin Drop Tower. Thats what the park is lacking. A drop ride. And Hershey loves dealing with Intamin, so I'm willing to bet on that. Who knows? Maybe they'll put a Falcon's Fury spin on it. Which would, of course, be phenomenal. I'd book another trip there as soon as I could!

Roller Soaker's station is still empty, right? Someone should build an uphill water slide starting in that station.

They took roller soakers area and replaced it with a water splash ground for kids. but a water coaster would be cool!

You are correct but the station is still there. Likely that will be re-used for a water ride/coaster

I would really hope for a drop tower as well, and with their obvious "attraction" to Intamin hopefully it will be the case.

They could have themselves a 300-foot drop tower just by converting the Kissing Tower (think AtmosFear at Liseberg). Definitely the cheapest route for them to go, and while they'd be losing the family ride for the sake of a new thrill ride it certainly isn't overly popular nowadays.

I would really hope for a drop tower as well, and with their obvious "attraction" to Intamin hopefully it will be the case.

They could have themselves a 300-foot drop tower just by converting the Kissing Tower (think AtmosFear at Liseberg). Definitely the cheapest route for them to go, and while they'd be losing the family ride for the sake of a new thrill ride it certainly isn't overly popular nowadays.

They can't get rid of the Kissing Tower, it's way too iconic. Plus, it wasn't designed to be a drop tower. Would doing a retrofit even be possible, and would it really save them that much money?

I choose to believe the project is new restraints for Skyrush. I believe it because I choose to do so.

Kissing Tower is also significantly older than Lisebergstornet/AtmosFear, so I'd imagine some major rehabilitation work would be necessary to make it suitable for a drop ride.

That said, if Hershey would ever get a drop tower, I'd fully expect it to be completely new...and something along the lines of Falcon's Fury.

Kissing Tower is also significantly older than Lisebergstornet/AtmosFear, so I'd imagine some major rehabilitation work would be necessary to make it suitable for a drop ride.

That said, if Hershey would ever get a drop tower, I'd fully expect it to be completely new...and something along the lines of Falcon's Fury.

I believe it did get a refurbishment last off-season because the cabin was silver for the first weekend of Springtime in the Park.

I don't think anyone said about a Project 2015 or anything like that. Knoebels did, so maybe that could be the confusion.

IMG_1332.thumb.JPG.b342d908f3f8e2d07a061b6d8ab211c5.JPG

There would be no rehabilitation needed. When taking an existing tower, and making it a drop tower all the equipment is removed, and new one is installed. They have to follow where the equipment for the previous cabin was located but that's pretty much it. The only thing you re-use is the tower itself, which saves a lot of money.

Intamin could probably even remodel the tower into a Falcon's Fury copy, with 90 degree tilting seats, if they are asked. The most important thing is that the new vehicle going up and down the tower have to weigh no more than the tower was built for.

At heide park they opted for a gyro drop, which have some pretty heavy machinery that rotates the gondola on the way up, so that one weighs pretty much the same as the previous cabin. At Liseberg the "settled" for the ring drop, without spinning, and the new vehicle weighs a lot less than the previous cabin did.

If you had a weakened tower, like the now removed one at Coney Island, then it's another thing, but the one at Hershey is still going, so I see no problem if they wanted to do it.

I don't know why the idea of re-establishing Kissing Tower was thought of, but I don think that would ever happen. Its way too iconic to the park and is a perfect little ride to fit the "kiss(ing)" aspect of Hershey

I'm not sure if you guys know this but there were stakes and markings recently seen in the Midway America section by the event tent, and Mini-Train, that is the speculated site of project 2015.