TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I haven't been to the park in 4 or 5 years, and may be going this weekend (probably Sunday). With Skyrush at the park now, what's the strategy for hitting the coasters?

Do Fahrenheit first, then Storm Runner. Skyrush you should do later in the day. Wildcat and Lightning Racers you can do at any time of day because people just sort of forget they're over there, especially LR.

I haven't been to the park in 4 or 5 years, and may be going this weekend (probably Sunday). With Skyrush at the park now, what's the strategy for hitting the coasters?

Do Fahrenheit first, then Storm Runner. Skyrush you should do later in the day. Wildcat and Lightning Racers you can do at any time of day because people just sort of forget they're over there, especially LR.

Whenever I visit a new park or park with a new ride, I now always hit the premier attraction first and then follow the recommended strategy. The heartbreak of missing a ride due to breakdown, especially if it was running in the morning, is something I have experienced too often. The fact that you can come back later and try some night rides is a bonus.

Ended up going today, and Skyrush was fantastic. I usually don't scream or yell on rides, but I couldn't help myself with the crazy airtime on this . Absolutely the most consistently thrilling and out-of-control ride I've been on. I'm still trying to decide where it ranks up with El Toro, Outlaw Run, Maverick, I305, Bizarro, MF, etc. Good company to be in, that's for sure. Hershey's got a winner, and it fits the park very well, and makes for a fantastic trio of Intamins (Fahrenheit was far better than I remember; the layout flows brilliantly and the slight rattle doesn't translate to a rough ride).

Lightning Racer is just as good as it's always been, even now that I can compare it to some newer GCIs. Wildcat was running pretty well, and was mostly enjoyable except for a few spots. Some retracking should do the trick (now SFA just needs to buy some Millenium Flyers for Roar).

Great Bear has a relatively tame layout, but still delivers a decent amount of power through the first three elements. The zero-g roll seemed to be taken at a pretty decent speed compared to the newer B&Ms.

Having ridden Carolina Cobra, I actually came into the park slightly looking forward to Sidewinder for the first time ever. It didn't disappoint (too much).

Loving the new trains on SDL, the park really breathed new life into the ride. I do wish they had splurged for the original paint job though, to really make it stand out from Great Bear.

Storm Runner is perfect. The airtime that starts as you crest the hill after the immelmann and carries through the roll and first half of the flying snake dive is so unique and interesting. You're lifted out of your seat through the entire sequence, and I love it. One of my favorite moments on any ride.

Oh and a shoutout to the best-run wild mouse around. That top section gets pretty crazy.

If the rest of the park weren't so fantastic, I could ride Skyrush all day. Can't wait for that golf course expansion room to open up to see what the park can do.

Not necessarily breaking news or anything, but according to a certain unmentionable facebook group....Storm Runner is getting a fresh paint job. They had pics posted to show the work going on.....

What exactly is about them that makes them "umentionable"? I don't think I'm familiar.

Also, 100th post. Heh.

Not necessarily breaking news or anything, but according to a certain unmentionable facebook group....Storm Runner is getting a fresh paint job. They had pics posted to show the work going on.....

What exactly is about them that makes them "umentionable"? I don't think I'm familiar.

Also, 100th post. Heh.

I can't mention it......

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Hershey today & tomorrow for the fall car meet; the weather today was truly miserable and pathetic, hoping for better tomorrow. Anyway, here's some pictures I took around noon...while the water is not nearly as high as it was in the morning, it's still high enough to make you think something is not right...

DSC_0072.thumb.JPG.66d78f28bf84bd89dcd67c6f6d0dab13.JPG

early in the morning the picnic area was totally underwater, also notice the fence was ripped down

DSC_0075.thumb.JPG.5fdc2b58d945e11988bc4327a24c6436.JPG

DSC_0078.thumb.JPG.9e412b8fcf494b130d5b70dc7472e742.JPG

at least now the water color is relevant to the park name...

I stopped by after class this afternoon after class around 1pm. The water was rushing through the catering area, about one or two inches above the Skyrush path, and the dam was nowhere to be seen. The return cable for the lift hill does look like it was underwater at one point. ZooAmerica was closed today with 25 animals being moved to higher ground.

As for the rain, it was pouring heavily for awhile late last night.

image.thumb.jpg.7ccbed9640653b6d671ddb68f255dd15.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.668b98c0a8539137b8cd910fd38d42a8.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.aa589f12ca9065de44fba2f320ac8e1d.jpg

I am going to HP on Friday Oct 25th, I am doing a Knoebels/HP trip and decided Friday would be the best day to go that weekend. How crowded does HP tend to be on Friday nights for Hersheypark in the dark?

Not busy at all. I'd head to Fahrenheit first thing, then do Lightning Racer and work your way foreward. Saturday is the busier day and Sunday is slightly busier than a Friday, but not as packed as a Saturday.