TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Hey everyone, I am going to Hershey for the first time this coming Monday. The weather is looking pretty good but it is still a few days out . . . any ideas about the crowds? Also, if I am arriving at noon, is there a best way to attack the park? (not literally attack . . .) I am so pumped for Skyrush and Storm Runner!

Saturday and Sunday i believe there is a huge music fest at the stadium, so Monday shouldnt be too bad. If you arrive around noon i would still recommend getting to Fahrenheit first. Dont go to Skyrush! The line is usually 60 mins from opening till about 1:30 and then its almost a walk on till later in the evening.

Thanks Ty, I appreciate it! I am really looking forward to Skyrush because I am an El Toro fanboy and have not been on much that has that kind of ejector airtime How do you think Skyrush compares? Also, do you have a top 5 for Hershey?

I unfortunatley havent gotten to SFGA since 05 so i didnt get on El Toro yet, but im going in 2 weeks! Cant wait!!

From El Toro reviews it seems they are pretty equivalent to eachother other than El Toro is longer. But i dont know for sure yet!

Top 5

1)Skyrush (Must ride back left wing, and front)

2)Storm Runner

3)Lightning Racer(Lightning side)

4)Fahrenheit

5)Great Bear

I'm hoping to go to HP in a couple weeks but I just got in a car accident so my parents are hesitant about letting me or my sister drive there for insurance reasons.

I'm thinking of proposing to them that we just take the train there and get a bus or taxi in Harrisburg. People have said to take CAT for buses but I'm worried that the bus schedule isn't flexible enough so my question is does anybody know if it's easy to get a taxi from the Harrisburg Train Station and from Hersheypark?

These are at the new Intamin 10-inversion coaster in Rome. I think Skyrush (and Maverick for that matter) would do great with these!

That looks like a slight improvement on Skyrush's restraint. I just think they should move Skyrush's restraints back a few inches so they lock on the waist, and not the thigh. I think they would be a lot more comfortable that way.

They look a bit improved but the restraints are fine to me how they are now. I think some people just really over react. I mean it is a little bother some but people dont know they are experiencing some of the most intense airtime ever.

I don't think anybody would be complaining about Skyrush's restraints if the airtime wasn't so extreme. You could put those exact restraints on this new 10-inversion coaster and I'm sure they'd be just fine.

I'm just glad to see a move to lap bars by Intamin - Lex, Skyrush, now this one.

It's not the airtime that makes the ride uncomfortable, it's how tight the lap bar can get on your thighs. Because your feet dangle and your legs make direct contact to the seat, it can really pin you in since your muscles are relaxed. If you had leverage from a non-floorless car, which would bring the back of your legs slightly off the seat, I don't think there would be many issues.

^The main issue i see is it tightening down on the first drop. People push it down on themselves on the bottow of the drop. For people not expecting the crazy drop it probably scares the crap out of them and they hold on for dear life which ends up being a bad thing.

Of course i have NEVER had a problem on Skyrush with the bars after 89 laps

I only rode Skyrush twice last year. First time was in the very back and my friend and I had no issues with the restraints tightening. Second time we ended up in the middle and it tightened hard at the bottom of the first drop for both of us. I had my hands up, so I didn't pull it down at the bottom. I didn't mind the discomfort, but my friend said he'd never ride it again. I hope to make it to Hershey again soon, just so I can ride Storm Runner and Skyrush

Hello all! I've never posted here before, but I figured I'd take this opportunity to join and contribute my two cents to this discussion.

Anywho, I feel that I have "cracked the code" for how to ride SkyRush without any pain from the restraints. At least, it works for me and it seems to work for everyone else I tell. The trick is to push your butt a bit forward so you're not completely against the back of the seat. When in this position, the lap bar no longer makes contact with the thighs, but hits you directly in the waist. No legcrushing, no pain. I tried to add a picture but i can't figure it out!

^First off welcome!

I think we all need to remember, and this is pretty much from AJ a couple pages back, i wouldn't really recommend or try to move your whole back/body from the backrest. I know I recommended only to move your head and shoulders off just a tad on the turn after the first ATH because of the rattle it now has in the back rows.

So i guess what I'm saying is even though it probably does work better for most people, it probably is doing more harm than good. That has got to be god awful for your back. I have a problem i have to grow out of in my SI Joint and if i try to move my lower back off any backrest significantly, I can feel a bit of pressure in that area every now and then, So i would say even though it feels better during the ride it is most likely very bad for your body after the ride.

I remember 2 of the curves were 5 g's or close to it so thats all stress on one spot on your back

But who knows! Im not a doctor

I guess I am just weird because the restraints on Skyrush are not painful to me at all. Also I do not hang on when I am on a coaster. In the past when I did hold on I notice that is when my restraints get tighter because I am pulling them closer to my body. I felt no pain or strain at all on this ride. I always let my body fall with any ride I ride. I have noticed when I just let my body fall where the ride wants it go instead of trying to force it to not to I do not get bruises or anything from any ride.

I really need to get out there and really see how terrible these restraints are. I've heard nothing but how terrible they are, that it seems a boomerang would be better to ride.

They really are not! Thats the thing, people just expect it to be a lazy boy chair. It is an airtime power house, sure there is sometimes a bit of pressure, but its not like some people act it to be

I just got back from my first Hershey trip! I didn't take too many pics because I just wanted to go and experience as much as I could in a day and I had a very good time. A quick rundown-

Top Coasters-

1. Storm Runner

2. Skyrush

3. Lightning Racer

4. Fahrenheit

5. Superdooperlooper

Biggest Surprise- Superdooperlooper. . . that thing was smooth and a great underrated ride.

Biggest Disappointment- Great Bear- I am a B&M Invert fan and it looked promising, but didn't even compare to Alpengeist and Raptor for me. I was kind of sad . .

Since everyone is on the subject of the Skyrush harnesses, I will say I think it did take away from the ride. It was a great ride no doubt, but riding El Toro the next day really put in perspective how comfortable ejector airtime can be. I disagree that Maverick is worse; I had no issues with the Mav harnesses at all, actually. Skyrush is a great coaster but could be soooo much better.