TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Unfortunately there's a One Directon concert on July 5th and 6th in the park, so it will probably infested by annoying 10 year old girls. The only reason I know this is because the fandom keep clogging my "Hershey park" threads on all of the social networking sites >.> I'd stay away until after the concert...

GOOD to know! Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know how busy the park would be on Friday, July 5th? Was thinking of making the short drive that way since I have the day off but was curious about the crowds. Thanks!
Yeah, I would think that day and the 6th will probably be the busiest days of the season. Especially since the concert was sold out within minutes of tickets going on-sale (I think I remember hearing the local radio station say this) and one of those concerts being on a Saturday.

Unfortunately there's a One Directon concert on July 5th and 6th in the park, so it will probably infested by annoying 10 year old girls. The only reason I know this is because the fandom keep clogging my "Hershey park" threads on all of the social networking sites >.> I'd stay away until after the concert...

I was there a few years ago when there was a Jonas Brothers show that night in the stadium. My advice for this day is STAY AWAY! The crowds were horrible, you could barely walk around the place, and the park was full of screaming pre-teen girls. I'd put off any visit until after this ends if you have the chance to do so.

Here's my PTR from that day, in case you're interested.

dt

Thanks for all the great advice! Which leads to my next question:

What would be a GREAT day to go to Hersheypark this summer?

I've only been once before and I'm taking someone that has never been. I was looking at possibly the last week of August; that's the last week they are open on weekdays. Would that Monday or Friday be tolerable for crowds...or worse because it's the last full week?

Ok i have to post this

So today a friend of mine(girl) is going to the concert tonight and she decided to go to the park with her friend till 5:30. She told me she went to the park at opening and had to stand in line all the way back towards the trolley entrance. She said it was "crowded to the max". She waited 90mins for Skyrush, 70mins for Great Bear, 30 for Storm Runner and then she stood in line for Fahrenheit for about 70mins until they got out and had to leave for the concert! The One Direction fan club was apparently screaming and swarming the park all day and the traffic is god awful.

If i was in town i might have just went to the park to see this disaster

This is why you dont go near the park during concerts

Hi guys! My fiance and I are going on a long coaster-filled vacation soon, and our first stop will be at Hersheypark. I'm working on Wednesday, 7/17 until around 4:30/5 and then driving straight to the park with her. We were planning on staying somewhere around the park, buying tickets for Thursday, then using them to get into the park Wednesday night to help make sure we can have enough time to do everything without needing to stay until closing Thursday (want to drive to Pittsburgh, Kennywood is the next stop, and want enough time to sleep before doing that park Friday). Are there any recommendations that wouldn't be too expensive? Money isn't tight, but we'd like to stretch it enough so we can spend it where it matters, like park tickets and "cut-the-line Flash-Pass" style purchases. I have very little experience in this regard, and my head is spinning with trying to find something reasonable through Hershey Resorts (everything I find is $250 and up).

I would stay in the New Cumberland Harrisburg area. There are a few hotels on right off of the Turnpike and interstate I83 in that area. New Cumberland is about a 20 minute drive from Hershey and the Marriott hotel runs around 159 a night and the BestWestern and Comfort range from 99-149 depending on the weekend.

We just stayed at the Best Western Hummelstown out on 422 for 110 a night, @ 2 minute drive to the park. There are much "cheaper" places right on Chocolate Ave if you just search. If you are just looking for a place to crash for a few, then by all means go cheap. Avoid their resorts at all costs. I always look for something that offers a nice breakfast area as that saves a good bit of money when traveling in a group situation.

So I'll be taking a group of 14 people and myself to Hershey on Saturday July 13 (it was the only day we could all go). How bad will the crowds be on that day?

Also are there any places to eat somewhat reasonably healthy at Hershey aside from Subway?

So I'll be taking a group of 14 people and myself to Hershey on Saturday July 13 (it was the only day we could all go). How bad will the crowds be on that day?

Also are there any places to eat somewhat reasonably healthy at Hershey aside from Subway?

http://www.hersheyparkstadium.com/event_schedule_detail.php?id=12771

http://www.hersheyparkstadium.com/event_schedule_detail.php?id=12771

Well... sh*t.

Well, as a test I was easily able to find 10 seats in a row in a section, so maybe it won't be that crowded? I'll just rock back and forth and tell myself this.

There's a place down by Trailblazer Catering that sells great Buffalo Chicken salads pretty inexpensively. I was able to get the salad and a carton of milk for under $10. I would personally consider that "healthy" but it's your call.

Couple of questions for you guys from a first time visitor. Is there a crowd calendar out there for the park anywhere? Looking at visiting Thursday August 22nd, along with the preview pass the night before.

Some questions:

~How do our dates sound? I know school will probably still be out, but hopefully visiting midweek will work to our advantage.

~Do they really make kids take their shoes off to measure their height? My little brother is right at the 54" mark with his shoes on, but I don't think he'll quite make it without shoes.

~Their Fast Track Pass seems like a joke. $50 for 9 rides? Any reason to actually pay for this?

~Does the park usually get busier during the last 2 1/2 hours with all of the preview pass entering?

Thanks guys!

I wouldn't pay for the FastTrack. I normally always get the highest level of Fastlane/Flashpass when I go to parks, but Hershey's system isn't worth it. I'm glad I'm able to skip the lines without paying extra there (that's another story completely). Don't get me wrong, I love the park, but their FastTrack is blahhh. You only get to ride each coaster once.

Do not pay early adopter tax for FastTrack. It's not good value for money. I would say that it could possibly maybe if you're lucky be worth it if you were going in on a summer Saturday, but you're going in on a weekday!

As for the height thing - as soon as you get into the park, go up to the height markers lined up alongside of the main pathway and measure him with his shoes off. Afterwards, only plan on riding attractions that he can do as well during the day and don't expect to "sneak" him on rides that he just doesn't meet the height requirement for. That's kind of disobeying park rules and you will get caught and he won't get to ride. They typically have attendants standing at ride entrances to make sure everyone's tall enough.

So, basically, if he's too short, ride all the stuff that he can ride with you first and then do the other stuff. I understand that the park's major steel roller coasters have the Twizzler requirement, but that requirement is there for a reason.

EDIT: If he's too short, the Preview Plan is a great opportunity for you to get all the larger rides in (Skyrush, Storm Runner, etc) yourself so you can spend the entire next day riding stuff with your brother.

Weird, I've seen it happen.

Regardless of whether or not shoes come off, if he's too short my advice still stands.

During my search for ticket discounts to Hersheypark for our previously-mentioned upcoming trip, I found a great deal sponsored by the Pennsylvania Dutch Council on behalf of the Boy Scouts of America. I did a search of this topic to see it it was mentioned and couldn't find it, so I figured I'd share my findings. If you purchase a ticket through their website, park admission costs just $38.10 (compared to the regular price of $57.95). Almost $20 cheaper! Additionally, already included in that price is a $5 contribution to the Boy Scouts of America. Win-win!

Prices jump an additional $5 after 7/31 ($43.10), but it'd still be a great deal. Here's the website:

http://padutchbsa.org/discounted-hersheypark-tickets/

^Nice!

And just this year i have seen them make kids take their shoes off for Skyrush and Storm Runner. I see the reason, a kid could wear those basketball high-tops which boost them 2-3 inches and that could be a problem

Funny thing happened on Piraten yesterday, where a kid was 1cm to short to ride, so the mother made him change shoes with his big brother, so he met the height requirement.

Don't know how it played out, as our ride was finished well before they were done arguing. They even made the ride operators call the CEO and ask for instructions on how to deal with them. Hopefully they did not let them on.

Completely serious question. If a kid wheres a pair of shoes that make them taller, how is that any different than them being the right height without shoes? They're 54" either way, and as long as they don't take their shoes off, what's the harm in allowing kids to where taller shoes?

Also, what are lines typically like? I don't need super exact times, but are we talking CP crowds or WoF?

And thanks for the advice guys.