TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Same here. Its crazy how long its taking to redo what ever they are with it. They closed it the entire Halloween and now this!? I was hoping on going opening day in Springtime, now i question it....Think of all the people who dont follow the rides list that bought tickets for their family, now the main coaster is not open...what a shame

"Main coaster"? What are you going on about?

Do Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Lightning Racer, Sooperdooperlooper, Comet, and Wildcat suddenly not matter anymore? Tell you what, I'll go in for Springtime and ride those coasters and you can stay home.

I was thinking the same thing. I am just thankful they even do this event. Been there in years past and it is an awesome time. Minimal crowds and not hot and humid like summertime!!!!!

Well it looks like Hershey screws us again! Skyrush was taken off Springtime in the park rides list

I do understand potentially why this ride will not be open but...

...Keep in mind Hershey has been weird in the past with listing rides for Springtime in the Park. Years ago they used to never list any rides in the back of the park but every year the entire park was open. At least this was my experience. I remember the year Lightning Racer opened it was actually open for STITP when they said it would not be.

Same here. Its crazy how long its taking to redo what ever they are with it. They closed it the entire Halloween and now this!? I was hoping on going opening day in Springtime, now i question it....Think of all the people who dont follow the rides list that bought tickets for their family, now the main coaster is not open...what a shame

Do Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Lightning Racer, Sooperdooperlooper, Comet, and Wildcat suddenly not matter anymore? Tell you what, I'll go in for Springtime and ride those coasters and you can stay home.

Did i say they were not good rides? All i said is the main coaster which is Skyrush is now suddenly taken off. All their merchandise has Skyrush on it so right now its the main coaster. Back in 04-05 Storm Runner was the main coaster and 09-10 Fahrenheit was the main coaster. Thats what i mean, not in terms of good ride bad ride. And nah, i will probably end up going anyway, i will be that person who will just stare at Skyrush the whole day..

Edited by TyRush

• 2 weeks later...

Did i say they were not good rides? All i said is the main coaster which is Skyrush is now suddenly taken off. All their merchandise has Skyrush on it so right now its the main coaster. Back in 04-05 Storm Runner was the main coaster and 09-10 Fahrenheit was the main coaster. Thats what i mean, not in terms of good ride bad ride. And nah, i will probably end up going anyway, i will be that person who will just stare at Skyrush the whole day..

I wouldn't say that Fahrenheit was the main coaster. Quite frankly, Hershey really has several main coasters, but I wouldn't come anywhere near calling Fahrenheit the main one. Up until Skyrush, which was vastly overrated in the polls due and belonged in the top 20, Storm Runner was the the main coaster and I still think that it is. It has the most unique aspects to it.

Up until Skyrush, which was vastly overrated in the polls due and belonged in the top 20...

That's a pretty bold statement. I'm assuming that you just couldn't handle the awesomeness of negative 2 Gs?

Up until Skyrush, which was vastly overrated in the polls due and belonged in the top 20...

That's a pretty bold statement. I'm assuming that you just couldn't handle the awesomeness of negative 2 Gs?

I found that the ride lost a lot of speed quickly and that although the airtime was absolutely fantastic and spectacular, it was over so quickly. I also thought that the restraints took away from the experience, but that is a pretty standard complaint for the ride. I wish that the park had just thought everything through a little bit more, but it is still a great ride, just not as good as NTAG or I-305.

Yes, I'm also surprised you have ridden it and say that...because it seems slow but it really is moving pretty quick into the final brakes. It's kind of deceiving on ride I'll admit.

As for Skyrush being short...it is buuuut gotta be realistic, it's amazing Hershey crammed that ride in at all. Really can't be any longer even if we wanted, and we all do.

One thing that I really like is when a ride utilizes height and directional changes in order to vary the speed. I don't really care if a ride hauls through, but I prefer a ride to have speed changes consistently. This all being said, I still think it is a very good ride. When I watched POV's of the ride, I was very skeptical, but it definitely exceeded my expectations; however, I still don't think it is a top ten ride. If they can fix the restraints, it would probably land at #8 at the highest on my list.

Ah i just looked at it. May i just say that Great Bear is going to look sweet with the new paint! I always thought it was faded, good to see some love to it. Now the big question is Storm Runner Paint! Im sure it will be next year....

The Friends of the Hershey Trolley are looking for train tracks for their restored Miniature Railway train that used to run at Hersheypark from the early teens until 1971.

HERSHEY PARK: The "Friends of The Hershey Trolley" are actively seeking railroad track for the restored original HP miniature electric train. If you or anyone knows or has any information of any remaining track from an old or perhaps defunct amusement park, please contact us. THANK YOU

Photo from their Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-the-Hershey-Trolley/202205043129935

I do have to wonder if this is a sign that it could possibly take passengers again in the coming future?

Hersheypark has sent us a batch of press releases about the latest happenings for the park.

The teams around Hershey are busy preparing for a great 2013 summer season. For a limited time, Hershey fans are invited to join the fun and score some great savings. Visit Hersheypark.com between March 4 and March 25 for special savings on Hersheypark passes and rooms at our resorts.

Buy early for the best savings. Hersheypark is offering the best prices on tickets for the 2013 season as follows:

• March 4 – 10, save $20 on Hersheypark regular admission
  • March 11 – 17, save $18 on Hersheypark regular admission
  • March 18 – 25, save $16 on Hersheypark regular admission

Tickets must be purchased online by March 25, and the discount applies only to the purchase of regular one-day admission. Tickets must be redeemed by July 31, 2013, and there’s a limit of 10 tickets per transaction.

Hershey Lodge and The Hotel Hershey are offering the best price of the season on the “Kids Stay, Play and Eat Free” package when booked online from March 4 to 25. Dates of stay are between May 3 and July 2, 2013.

Savings is only part of the online fun. Beginning March 4, visit Hersheypark.com to watch the famous Hershey’s Product Character engage in their own spring training regime as they get into top shape for the upcoming Hersheypark season. Each week a new video will show the characters going head to head to win the coveted “Hersheypark Cup.”

Characters aren’t the only ones who get to have fun. Fans will have the opportunity to vote for the character they choose to move onto the next round of competition. Each vote enters participants into a sweepstakes to win “The Grand Slam” prize package which includes an overnight stay, Hersheypark tickets, Hershey gift card, a VIP visit with the Characters, tickets to a Major League baseball game, a gas card, chocolate basket and more.

Whether your family seeks thrills and chills, cocoa baths, ‘sweet’ history, four-star, four-diamond dining and accommodations, Hershey, PA, is the place for everyone to enjoy their own brand of fun and experience it all…together.

“Families live farther from each other now than in the past, so traveling together is often the only time they see each other,” said Bill Simpson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Hershey Entertainment & Resorts. “With an estimated 40% of leisure travelers taking multi-generational vacations, Hershey is ideal as we have something for everyone. With so much to see and do, we offer activities and attractions for the young and young at heart.”

If your family members are ride enthusiasts, Hersheypark boasts a collection of 65 rides and attractions that range from exhilarating roller coasters to a leisurely steam locomotive to a magnificent historic carousel. If your family likes to splash in the surf, grab your bathing suits and head to The Boardwalk at Hersheypark, featuring an all new “sprayground,” two new water slides and more shaded areas.

If your family members prefer to “watch” rather than “participate,” we have you covered. Hersheypark boasts stellar live entertainment and the 11-acre walkthrough ZooAmerica, in addition to unique shops and mouth-watering food.

Adjacent to Hersheypark is Hershey’s Chocolate World where the fate of chocolate is in your hands at Hershey’s Great Chocolate Factory Mystery - the new, one-of-a-kind 4D interactive experience opening in May.

From noteworthy retail offerings to four-star dining, The Hotel Hershey serves as the crown jewel of the town built by Milton S. Hershey in 1933. You can choose to indulge your chocolate cravings with desserts in the new Circular dining room or signature chocolate treatments at the world-famous Chocolate Spa. This luxurious hotel offers a choice of historic rooms as well as 10 luxury cottages. Indoor and outdoor pool complexes, a year-round ice skating rink, and a sand volleyball court are just some of the full range of family pastimes.

Family activity is also a focus at the well-appointed Hershey Lodge, with miniature golf, indoor and outdoor pool complexes, outside basketball and tennis courts, and shuffleboard available for use by guests. Young guests will enjoy signing the Kids’ Check-in guest book and receiving their own chocolate surprise while all members of the family will enjoy breakfast in the recently refreshed Hershey Grill.

Celebrating 50 years of family camping fun this summer, Hershey Highmeadow Campground offers 10 new cabins in addition to the existing 300 sites that range from tent areas to RVs to cabins. Basketball, volleyball, shuffleboard, horseshoe pits, S’Mores campfires and two swimming pools offer everyone in the family an opportunity to play together while making memories.

The Hotel Hershey, Hershey Lodge and Hershey Highmeadow Campground all offer exclusive amenities through the “Hershey Resorts Advantage,” which includes the best price on Hersheypark tickets, complimentary shuttle service and early admission to the Park. All of the properties make an ideal base during a multi-day stay.

An outdoor butterfly house and whimsical Children’s Garden are highlights of the family activities available at Hershey Gardens. Across town, The Hershey Story, The Museum on Chocolate Avenue, is dedicated to the life and legacy of the man who started it all, Mr. Hershey, and offers “Chocolate Lab” classes and the Countries of Origin Chocolate Tasting.

Star-studded family entertainment is available at five distinct Hershey entertainment venues, ranging from the state-of-the-art Giant Center to the magnificent Hershey Theatre, presenting performances that range from classical to contemporary including Broadway favorites like “Jersey Boys” and “Rock of Ages,” and artists such as Miranda Lambert and Dave Matthews.

Family recreation is available on the four courses of the legendary Hershey Golf Collection, which includes Spring Creek Golf Club, the first course in the United States specifically designed for junior golfers.

A year-round destination, Hershey is located in central Pennsylvania, three hours from New York City, 90 minutes from Philadelphia or Baltimore, and two hours from Washington.

Laura Woodburn, Director of Ride Operations at Hersheypark, was awarded “Person of the Year” by the National Association of Amusement Ride Safety Officials (NAARSO) at the 26th annual seminar held this month in Pigeon Forge, TN.

Woodburn was recognized for her work in helping to develop the NAARSO operations certification syllabus, classes and testing procedures.

Woodburn began her career with Hersheypark in 1988 as a seasonal rides employee. Her full-time career began in 1996 and, over the years, she has been director of Guest Services & Ticketing and Entertainment. As director of the Park’s Ride Operations department, she is responsible for overseeing the safe ride operations of the more than 65 rides and attractions at Hersheypark. Her team includes more than 1,100 full- and part-time employees.

Woodburn is a graduate of Kutztown University with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications and serves NAARSO as a board member and as the Public Relations representative. She also is a member of the NAARSO Education and Certification Committees.

In addition she holds a Level Three NAARSO Certification in Inspection and a Level One Certification in Operations.

Woodburn has received recognition from the Amusement Industry Manufacturers and Supplies (AIMS) as a Level Two AIMS Certification in Operations and a Level One Certification in Aquatics.

She is a licensed Lifeguard Instructor through Jeff Ellis and Associates and also holds a certification in Aquatic Facility Operations. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has designated Woodburn as a Level Two Ride Inspector.

Woodburn resides in Hummelstown with her son Parker.

NAARSO is a non-profit organization that provides resources for amusement industry professionals dedicated to the safety of the industry and its patrons. Committed to the advancement of amusement ride and device safety through the doctrine of "Safety Through Communication,” NAARSO provides education and resources to industry professionals and administers a certification program for amusement device inspectors. Since its inception in 1987, the organization has grown from 50 members to more than 1,100 current members. In addition, NAARSO has certified more than 2,600 amusement industry professionals.

http://www.hersheypark.com/rides/results.php?rh=99&pa=99&rt=2&rr=99

The names for the new water attractions have been released. Say hello to Hydro and Pipeline, which are going to use one and two person tubes like Riptide and Surge and the Shoreline Sprayground, which will feature a tipping bucket and plenty of shaded seating.

Whelp...I just found this thread...And being the Skyrush fangirl I am, so much for sleep tonight, lol

---

^ I hope between your past experiences, and perhaps what ever they are working on with Skyrush it'll magically be operating for Springtime in the park. I won't get my hopes up though...

Unfortunately, it won't be :'(

Whelp...I just found this thread...And being the Skyrush fangirl I am, so much for sleep tonight, lol

If you want the cliffnotes version:

"The restraints hurt "

"No they don't."

"Yes they do"

"No they don't"

If you want the cliffnotes version:

"The restraints hurt "

"No they don't."

"Yes they do"

"No they don't"

...I think I laughed more than I should have... :$

Just to be cliché and add to that, I honestly didn't think the restraints were that bad. I rode it about 15 times in row alternating trains (kinda a long story behind that...Well not really THAT long) and it didn't hurt until the day after. I actually hope they aren't changing the restraints this season, I loved the airtime too much!! On a side note, I am super stocked to be going back to the park this year. I went down to PA a few weeks ago and I got my boyfriend to drive me to the park just to take photos of Skyrush from the road. I think he thought I was insane. Oh well, he's a coaster fanatic too (he's the one the brought me into it >.> lol). I'll be going back in May and August, so I'm really hoping that Skyrush will be open by then! When I went last year in May, I was ONE week too early for it's opening...It was just so taunting to see it do its test runs! At least I got to go back later in the summer and ride it, haha.

EDIT:Reading back in the previous posts, I noticed someone mentioned they might be slowing down the lift hill!? Nooooo D:

I've also heard that the cars had an issue with how that couple with each other? And that's why it was closed for Halloween and won't be open for Spring...Does anyone know if that's for sure true or not?