TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I was just remembering the amazing S'mores cart at Hersheypark. Those were so good!

The York Pepermint Patty S'more tasted great, but made me feel a bit ill.

Edited by cfc

I was just remembering the amazing S'mores cart at Hersheypark. Those were so good!

And I'm sure they miss your patronage. Have you ever considered competitive eating?

I probably should, I could use the money!

• 2 weeks later...

Any news at all about Skyrush's renovation? Are they even changing the station at all? I've gone by it a couple times and couldn't make anything of it. They were doing work on the Bear which i assume to be some bolt work.

Im also interested in Skyrush's finish in Mitch's poll. It should peak in the top 10 or so. I know a couple of people love it, and a couple hate or some just average. It will be higher than the GTA ranking at least.

Edited by TyRush

I dunno, I still tend to think that Skyrush will at least crack into the Top 10 in Mitch's steel coaster poll. I for one absolutely loved the ride! In fact, it's my current #1 steel coaster. The airtime on it is absolutely insane, and those wing seats are crazy! (in particular towards the back) I also didn't experience any real "pain" on the coaster. Yeah, the lapbar tightened a bit during the ride, but it was nothing that noticeable to me. I was just thrilled to finally have an all-out "balls to the wall" airtime machine (as in, similar to how a Megalite is described) here in the U.S. And better still, it's in the same state that I live in!

I'm curious how it will ride after whatever modifications they are doing to it. I haven't heard much about it, but I am hoping it's up in time for Springtime in the Park, as my wife and I are heading out there for the 2nd weekend of it. And if they decided to redesign the station as well, I'd be all for it! That was my only real "complaint" about Skyrush - nothing to do with the ride, but that station is the worst designed one I've seen. As an engineer, it made me cringe!

Couldn't agree more as its my favorite as well. I too am lucky to have access to the park(season pass) regularly. I also hope they dont tame Skyrush one bit. I know they are definitely changing restraints, but i hope they dont slow the lift hill or add extra trims. I have never had discomfort on it like most claim, but i could see why some GP dont like it if they have some pain on it.

As far as it being open for Spring time the park has said they plan it to be open. I hope thats true because im going March 29th!! Cant wait

I know they are definitely changing restraints

Source for this please!

Ah you got me , Don't really have a source but I rather used Inferencing based on All American Thrills December Update(Last one based on Skyrush's trains) which show only the frame remaining with the lap bars wrapped up in plastic. Also based on all the complaints made by the GP about them hating it and its painfulness.

Since that last update i have not seen a new one on Skyrush which is why I have asked you guys if you have heard any NEW news on the updates.

I dunno, I still tend to think that Skyrush will at least crack into the Top 10 in Mitch's steel coaster poll.

I hope so! I was really hoping it'd be new ride of the year, not that I had much faith in GTA already but Wild Eagle?? Sheesh...

Yeah I was kinda peeved there were so many complaints about the "pain" softies...and hope it doesn't impact it. I'd say its a top 10 coaster, for sure top 15. It'd be a joke to rate it lower.

Renevations to skyrush? It would be nice if they managed something with the restraints...like maybe instead of a flat bar have some arches in it so your legs could have some space, and less hard material.

Not sure if the station can be fixed, given the tight space, but it is a royal pain in the ass! Especially on opening day, it ran pretty well but was still kinda WTF is going on, and some slow goths resulted in the gates closing and the ops wouldn't let us on

Renevations to skyrush? It would be nice if they managed something with the restraints...like maybe instead of a flat bar have some arches in it so your legs could have some space, and less hard material.

The issue isn't that the bar is flat, it is the angle of the bar. Since the point of contact with the rider is a thin surface area all the force is applied to that small area versus being distributed over a wider area of the thigh.

Well now, a park come out and tell us something? So we don't wildly speculate all winter? Aw now we know that's the life of an enthusiast.

The issue isn't that the bar is flat, it is the angle of the bar. Since the point of contact with the rider is a thin surface area all the force is applied to that small area versus being distributed over a wider area of the thigh.

Makes sense.

Though I did hear they did modify them last year with a less hard material. Just a month after my first time it did seem greatly less painful.

Hope they can do something to make it more comfortable, it really is Intamin's biggest issue.

Though I did hear they did modify them last year with a less hard material. Just a month after my first time it did seem greatly less painful.

Hope they can do something to make it more comfortable, it really is Intamin's biggest issue.

Yes, they did modify them with a different material, and that's probably what will still be on the ride next season.

Designing a new restraints for it will take time. It has to be properly tested so that it is 110% safe, and then the ride has to do all of it's original testing when it was new, again.

Sure Skyrush will probably get a newly designed restraint, but probably not for the upcoming season.

Well now, a park come out and tell us something? So we don't wildly speculate all winter?

Maybe they don't want to not make guests [and enthusiasts] worry about it. It's a much better feeling having low expectations completely exceeded than having high expectations not met.

I'm pretty sure that their priorities are in this order - train/chassis issues > station design > restraint system.

Well now, a park come out and tell us something? So we don't wildly speculate all winter?

Maybe they don't want to not make guests [and enthusiasts] worry about it. It's a much better feeling having low expectations completely exceeded than having high expectations not met.

I'm pretty sure that their priorities are in this order - train/chassis issues > station design > restraint system.

Aww taken slightly out of context ; ) I was saying we all know parks like us to speculate and stay in the dark!

I peronally had no issue with the original restraints anyway.

I would kill for a less maddening station design though

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. Its crazy how long its taking to redo what ever they are with it. They closed it the entire Halloween and now this!? I was hoping on going opening day in Springtime, now i question it....Think of all the people who dont follow the rides list that bought tickets for their family, now the main coaster is not open...what a shame

Intamin does seem to have a really hard time making restraints that are comfortable for a wide variety of patrons. I would love to see something along the lines of a B&M Clamshell restraint that comes down overhead.

I agree, all they needed to do make a leg "cut out" for it to become more comfortable. The old ones were just a strait across bar that would dig into your legs, i dont know how the pain really felt since i was fine with no issues, but they must be coming up with something new which is why it takes so long.

Same here. Its crazy how long its taking to redo what ever they are with it. They closed it the entire Halloween and now this!? I was hoping on going opening day in Springtime, now i question it....Think of all the people who dont follow the rides list that bought tickets for their family, now the main coaster is not open...what a shame

"Main coaster"? What are you going on about?

Do Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, Lightning Racer, Sooperdooperlooper, Comet, and Wildcat suddenly not matter anymore? Tell you what, I'll go in for Springtime and ride those coasters and you can stay home.