TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I think I read elsewhere (screamscape?) that they may be replacing the ride vehicles with new ones that'll have video screens and stuff.

I personally have always loved this ride, despite the brainwashing song at the end of the ride. Maybe they'll replace that brainwashing song with a new brainwashing song sung by 3 cows! (3 cows!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

IIRC they already had video screens, but now they'll be hi-res flat screens. I think the ride is great.

The cars already had video screens? Either my memory is failing or they've been added since the Summer of 2003 (either are highly possible)

The cars already had video screens? Either my memory is failing or they've been added since the Summer of 2003 (either are highly possible)

You're right, the cars don't have screens. I was there at the end of October and there were no screens in the cars.

You're right, the cars don't have screens. I was there at the end of October and there were no screens in the cars.

I was sure at one time there was one big monitor/tv on the front of the cars, but I went a long time ago

• 2 months later...

I went on the ride today (it opened on Friday the 31st, but I was going on my SFOG/PCar trip that weekend). Some of the scenes didn't change, save for loads of paint and better lighting. Flatscreen TV's everywhere, and singing cows, lots of movement. I think it's a positive change. The video on-ride speaks for itself:

http://photos.tideblue.com/ryan/themeparks/hersheypark06/cw/hcwdarkride.mov

Wow! That was great! I really enjoyed that, my first-ever 'tour', heh heh.

I have known about the original Hershey's Tour since it began in the early 70's(?), and altho there seems to be changes made since it began, it is nice to finally see what the tour was all about....

Thanks for sharing your 'Tour'....

• 1 month later...

I would have to agree with an earlier post in that the new WP will surely be an good 'cash-cow' for the park. It would be a good balance between the too during those summer months. If I recall, Hershey did try to put in a rollercoaster (for this season), but had issues with the mfg (it was a layout similar to screamin' squirrel, but riders sit on the side of track). I forgot the name of mfg/ride, but it appeared that neither side could resolve their differences. I'm hearing of a hyper planned for '09 and the WP was originally planned for 07 for its anniversary (can a local person confirm this-I believe it was in HP master plan).

For a park whose season opening was just last weekend, they seem to have a lot of construction work done already for '07. And during our visit yesterday they mentioned their 100th birthday at least a hundred times. So something else may be up. It looks like the town of Hershey itself is getting ready for the celebration.

Also, the proposed ride for Hershey that never made it was Turbulence, a Frequent Faller from Interactive Rides Inc.

turbulence.jpg.1dfa51631d2d897de4748ca0b6d00b1d.jpg

^good job. I thought it was from that company and new the design, but I had a 'brain fart' and could not think of the name for some reason..lol

I don't think HP will put that in now, but some strange reason, I think one of those will show up in Vegas. Why? Because the company has done several rides for Stratosphere and wouldn't it be cool it that ride went up most (or all) of the way to the top of the tower? Who would ride it then?..lol

Was at the park today 05/13 and took some pictures of just how messed up Midway America is right now and a shot of some of the slides that are going to be installed.

Holy mackerel! What a mess! Any way, makes total sense for HP to add a water park. It's LONG overdue and I've been saying for years that they should do it. I'm not crazy about the location though. It'll clutter Midway America in a very big way but it makes sense with the other water rides in the area.

• 1 month later...

Heres the link

http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/100th/boardwalk.php

Yes! both Dorney and hershey are getting a proslide tornado next year. I love those things.

They picked a good theme for the waterpark, I think it will blend nicely with Midway America.

My only complaint is the wavepool it's only 5,200 sq feet, for as hot as that park gets it should have been bigger. Dorneys wavepool is massive and they needed a second one.

It's also funny that both Dorney and Hershey's Tornados are being drawn as the same color.

And Hershey's "wave pool" seems more to me like the baby wave pool that Sesame Place has, where there are little baby waves and the area serves as more of a water play space than anything else.

Mike