TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

In the Skyrush station, I remembering thinking it be easy to put some steps on the other side for an exit. I'm sure some engineer out there could design it to work in that station.

I do remember the during our tour on new hotness that they were saying that not putting the exit on the other side was one of there first mistakes.

In the Skyrush station, I remembering thinking it be easy to put some steps on the other side for an exit. I'm sure some engineer out there could design it to work in that station.

I do remember the during our tour on new hotness that they were saying that not putting the exit on the other side was one of there first mistakes.

I also remember during that tour, they said they would not change the restraints on the ride. But I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Yea i saw no tesing and i was confused of what was in the station and was a little mad the path going under skyrush was blocked off i mean ive been to hershey this year 20 plus times but its still awesome to walk under that beast!! With the restraintstuff i really hope they dont change it but i guess will have to wait another six long drulling monthes to find out

Last night on Sooperdooperlooper, you can see the Skyrush queue from the brakes. The switchbacks have been removed and the entrance and test seat have a wooden barrier around them.

They have to remove all of the switchbacks and a portion of the fence separating the queue from the ride to remove the cars from that spur that juts out of the transfer shed. You could also see one of the cars covered in a tarp last night down where the switchbacks are, and all of the covers for the chassis were lined up inside the station. So one train is still in the station, but the other seems to have been taken apart for off-season maintenance already (hence the switchbacks being removed).

The problem is that it really isn't easy, not like everyone seems to think it is. The back half of the station is extremely narrow, as the access to the transfer track lies behind that wall. A set of stairs can't exit from the front of the station, because a) the control booth is in the way, and even if that was moved then b) the spur from the transfer needs to be unobstructed and reachable by trucks to remove cars when necessary. The only option for an opposite-side exit really would be to rework the station, possibly build the back half toward Comet rather than on the diagonal it's on currently, realigning the transfer track and as a result having to rework the transfer itself.

Would it be possible to add a separate unloading station like on Millennium Force? They could increase the stopping power of the small break run and place the exit station near the current station with some breaks slowing the ride down after the turn over Comet.

I don't have any engineering knowledge really so I don't know how possible that is. A major issue would be loose item return, but you could just put lockers in or something (maybe a airport luggage claim-esque conveyor belt that moves the items to the second station?) I always thought the single side loading/unloading was an idiotic idea.

Wrong, you would not have enough blocks, the ride is actually so short on blocks, that the second train has to park on the back brake before the other can dispatch. I used to run the coaster, you cannot add an unload without modifying the existing layout. Also the transfer track is right in the way and would need to be re-done. The ride's brake that runs over Comet, is not a block, only the brake right before you enter the station is a block.

If you have an unload station back there, and you need to stop it before the train enter it, then it would not be possible. That's where the problem lies. The back brake would not be long enough. I used to be a supervisor at the ride, I personally have talked to people involved with the ride. The problem with it is the block is two train lengths long. Each block generally should be one and a half to two train long to safely stop the ride. If you add an unload station, now the block is the length of one train. Not nearly enough the stop the ride, and it does come around the turn with some speed.

See here is the blueprints, I added in an unload station, the yellow is the length of one train.

and no this is not an argument

Personally, I think the way the blocks are set up now is fine. If they were to speed up the load and unload process, the train on the layout would only have to sit on the block for ten seconds or so.

Honestly, it's a fantastically wonderful thing that they were able to cram Skyrush into that area in the first place.

I come back from the park with news as to why Skyrush is closed!

36 axles with stress fractures due to the crunch, a turn and the rapid angle of decent from station to lift. Expectations for the ride to reopen are set for the summer. Off season work will include a needed station change (no mention on what all will be changing on that), another possible restraint change, and possible slowing of lift hill speed.

I come back from the park with news as to why Skyrush is closed!

36 axles with stress fractures due to the crunch, a turn and the rapid angle of decent from station to lift. Expectations for the ride to reopen are set for the summer. Off season work will include a needed station change (no mention on what all will be changing on that), another possible restraint change, and possible slowing of lift hill speed.

They lost me at "decent from station to lift".

I really hope that they don't slow the lift down. Seeing people (especially my friends) scream bloody murder in terror when the cable catches and it gets yanked to the top at 20mph is the best part of the ride for me.

^ I was thinking the same thing, but also wondering if it was possible to have the lift hill speed change part of the way up the lift. I just hope the speed cresting stays the same, because boy was that some awesome ejector airtime towards the back of the train!! All I know is I'm glad I got to ride it a few times in its opening year to experience that raw intensity that made it my #1 steel coaster.

That said, I doubt that they will be making any drastic alterations to the ride itself. My guess is that the majority of changes happen to the trains. And if they are in fact thinking of redesigning the station, there will be much rejoicing! I really wish they would've just designed it to have a separate unload station like Millennium Force.

^ I was thinking the same thing, but also wondering if it was possible to have the lift hill speed change part of the way up the lift. I just hope the speed cresting stays the same, because boy was that some awesome ejector airtime towards the back of the train!!

It's absolutely possible - Millennium Force kicks into high gear about 2/3 of the way up the lift, El Toro slows at the top of the lift (which it didn't originally, so change is very possible), and actually even Skyrush itself doesn't fully speed up until the last, say, two cars are exiting the station. So yeah, if this really is a big problem, they can certainly slow down the lift speed at the beginning and then pick it up just a second or two after all the cars have cleared the *decent* (as this report would say) out of the station.

With only 2 trains though, I don't see why it would have to stop before it reaches the unload point. It's not conventional, but it would work the same as it does now. You're literally just adding a platform to where it already stops.

The difference is that now, the train on the brake run moves into the station as the first train is starting up the lift. Since the lift is so fast and there are no blocks between the lift and your proposed unload station, it would mean that the first train wouldn't be able to start up the lift until the second train is empty and the gates are closed. In other words, it could actually make the capacity worse.