TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Skyrush closed for the rest of the season for unknown reasons...

www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/224298

OMG! I love how they are calling this "Intamin's demise" - what a bunch of f**king morons. Yes, URC, this is "Intamin's Demise" because the company that makes most of the world's top roller coasters is never going to be hired again due to ...whatever unknown reason... has caused SkyRush to be shut down for a whole THREE weekends of the season.

It sometimes embarrasses me how stupid the enthusiast community can be, when we are all supposed to be "experts" on the subject...

Seriously, I can't see this being a big deal...

Edited by robbalvey

It could also be a weather related reason, as the temperatures in this part of the country have suddenly dropped, and they figured they might as well announce it as closed as to not upset anyone making a trip out to ride it. In any event, this is a non-issue, as it's three weekends. No big deal.

I do love internet engineers. I had no idea junior high schools offered such advanced degrees.

dt

I am without a doubt one of the biggest Intamin fan boy on this thread. I LOVE them with RoS/Bizarro in my home park.

What I find interesting and concerning is that Intamin has no new rides on the books for 2013, AND after building the #1 coaster in the world (MF) and certainly the most iconic, CF has migrated to B&M. Let's be honest. When was the last flawless Intamin coaster installation, with minimal "issues" during the first year of operation like B&M?

I thought it was going to be Skyrush, because it really operated well this year. But clearly that isn't the case....

I am without a doubt one of the biggest Intamin fan boy on this thread. I LOVE them with RoS/Bizarro in my home park.

What I find interesting and concerning is that Intamin has no new rides on the books for 2013

You forget that Intamin builds a LOT more than just roller coasters. For example, they just finished a huge dark ride project for Universal Singapore. And they don't always build a major coaster EVERY year. Just because they might not be producing products that YOU personally may be interested in, doesn't mean they don't have a lot of projects going on, just may not be ones with high visibility like a SkyRush or I305.

after building the #1 coaster in the world (MF) and certainly the most iconic, CF has migrated to B&M. Let's be honest. When was the last flawless Intamin coaster installation, with minimal "issues" during the first year of operation like B&M?

And when was the last time B&M built something that really pushed the envelope?

B&M absolutely plays it "safe" and that's one thing they have going for them, on the other hand, Intamin is always innovating, and with that comes issues that need to be resolved.

One of my good friends in the industry who just got done working on an Intamin project told me "Intamin projects always come with a little more headaches...but man...the end result is WELL worth it!" And that's not really a knock against Intamin, it's just when you're doing things when there isn't always a solid road map, sometimes it's just more difficult.

When I worked in the video game business, it was the same thing...there were some game developers that you constantly had to manage, watch over, and keep them in check, but often times they produced games that are above and beyond the competition, and other developers that you could pretty much "fire and forget" and they'd produce a really solid, but not a "Triple A" game, with less production management. Sometimes it depends on what you need. We didn't always need a game to be a "Triple A Title" when it came to making a movie tie-in, etc, it was more important for it to be on the shelf when the movie launched.

But as far as the Intamin vs B&M thing goes, I see 8 Intamins in the top ten of the last Mitch Hawker steel poll and and all four Intamins in the top ten of the last wood coaster poll.

Not all roller coasters are made to be a "top ten coaster." Sometimes a park is looking for something that fits a need. And that doesn't always mean they are going to build "Expedition GeForce." It could very well be that, for 2013, many parks don't *need* a big Intamin coaster in their park, and that could change for 2014. But, if you think that this is "Intamin's Demise" then you're as dumb as the people who post to URC. How many of those people have actually WORKED in the amusement industry before or have any clue about how it works? And I'm not talking some ride op at a park pushing the green button.

Remember how everyone said "Oh, SFMM will NEVER work with Intamin again after S:TE?" Oh, well, looky there...THREE of their last rides were all Intamin! (S:EFK, Green Lantern, Lex Luthor)

Parks will go with who fits their need at a certain time, manufacturers that are available, costs, and other factors. if you think that a park is "never" going to go with a company just because of an issue with a ride or two, you're greatly mistaken. Trust me, even if a park says they will swear off a ride company, if it ends up being the right place, time, cost, fit, etc, they'll go with them again....

As someone who is currently working with many different parks and ride companies, I've heard both sides to many stories. Trust me on this...I wish I could go into more details, but I can't....

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Intamin has also sold two more 10-inversion coasters for 2013, plus the one for Hopi Hari. There is also a indoor looping coaster for somewhere in Asia, also a Gyro drop with different seats for somewhere in Europe. Plus a few water rides. All this according to Park World Magazine. Plus the coasters for Vialand. And don't forget the State Fair gyro tower. Also read something about another Gyro Swing, but I have no confirmation on that one.

^ Exactly. What it comes down to is this... people that aren't educated about the amusement park industry think they know everything, and just because they write about it on an internet forum and get a bunch of other uneducated about the industry people to talk about it, doesn't mean it's true or that they are right.

I only back up my words because I'm actually working with these ride manufacturers now, involved with several different industry-related projects, and talk to parks, ride companies, and other people who all work in this business on a daily basis.

Like I said on our Twitter feed, we actually DO try to educate people in this industry. Whether a bunch of enthusiasts want to listen to what we have to say or not, that's their choice.

I'd love to write more, but I have work to do for some ride companies...and perhaps you'll be seeing some of that work soon enough!

--Robb

One other aspect of this: sure Intamin rides have more problems, but they also provide the proper support to parks in working through any issues. Parks know exactly what they are getting.

One other aspect of this: sure Intamin rides have more problems, but they also provide the proper support to parks in working through any issues. Parks know exactly what they are getting.

This exactly. I have noticed that once a problem is reported they are very quick to get it fixed. And also, I305 has killer airtime, and OTSR's, so why wouldn't it work?

This exactly. I have noticed that once a problem is reported they are very quick to get it fixed. And also, I305 has killer airtime, and OTSR's, so why wouldn't it work?

Technically, they could do OTSRs, but I really hope that never happens. In my opinion, Skyrush's lack of OTSRs is one of the best parts of the train design. The lack of them gives a great sense of freedom that makes the ride just that much more amazing. However, I do hope they do something with the restraints to make them more comfortable.

Just putting this out there, I would love to see some of the Intamin OTSR's on Skyrush.

Why? It would kill your shoulders from the airtime. Or are you just being sarcastic?

Not to mention everything after the not-Stengel Dive, which is just full of direction changes that will throw you into the restraints. No thank you.

A shoulder harness is out of the question for many reasons.

1. Sure I305 has great airtime but Skyrushs is wicked! Any shoulder harness would kill the feeling of "I'm going to fall out" to the GP and it would kill the whole point of the ride (airtime). What is most likely the most intense negative G focused ride would be ruined. (Think about it, do we want another Revolution type ride?)

2. The laterals in certain portions on Skyrush (bottom of the 1st drop, exit of the Stengle Dive, and the twisted hill before the last airtime hill) are very intense in the winged seats and if you put your hands up in theses portions, you are forced to the left or right side (depending on where you sit) with a shoulder harnesses, this could cause broken necks and backs due to your body getting pushed to the side with nowhere to go.

3. It wouldn't fix the problem since I305 harness still has a low portion of contact with the thigh. Intamin needs to go with a B&M clam shell type lap bar to fix the contact problem.

I'm not sure why they closed down Skyrush but I remember during our backstage tour, they said they would not being changing the restraints. It's probably just a lift problem. I personally found no problems with the restraints.

A shoulder harness is out of the question for many reasons.

1. Sure I305 has great airtime but Skyrushs is wicked! Any shoulder harness would kill the feeling of "I'm going to fall out" to the GP and it would kill the whole point of the ride (airtime). What is most likely the most intense negative G focused ride would be ruined. (Think about it, do we want another Revolution type ride?)

2. The laterals in certain portions on Skyrush (bottom of the 1st drop, exit of the Stengle Dive, and the twisted hill before the last airtime hill) are very intense in the winged seats and if you put your hands up in theses portions, you are forced to the left or right side (depending on where you sit) with a shoulder harnesses, this could cause broken necks and backs due to your body getting pushed to the side with nowhere to go.

3. It wouldn't fix the problem since I305 harness still has a low portion of contact with the thigh. Intamin needs to go with a B&M clam shell type lap bar to fix the contact problem.

Exactly my point. OTSR would not work on Skyrush at ALL! It would kill the entire ride.

I'm assuming the traditional "T-Bar" used on Millenium Force, the Superman models, and TTD are out of the question on this model of train. However, I see the biggest problem on Skyrush being that the restraints come from over the top of the seat, as opposed to lowering from in front of the rider. The current restraint construction reminds me of B&M clam shells until they start crunching down, and I think the orientation of how they lower has to do with the problem of the Intamin restraints pushing down increasingly harder throughout the ride.