TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

It's been a month since I was at Hershey, but since I just returned from my time living in a tent in the forest, I figured that I would share my thoughts. First of all, Hershey is an awesome park. I would rate it as my second favorite, behind only Cedar Point. I loved the mix of amazing coasters, a respectable amount of charm, plenty of trees, and delicious chocolate. Lines weren't too bad, and I was able to get on seven coasters in four hours, managing not to miss anything that I really wanted to ride. My opinion on each ride:

Fahrenheit- This was the first ride of the day, and it also had the longest wait, at an hour. The lift was intense, I really felt like I was going to fall out. The first drop was awesome, and I loved how many elements Intamin packed into a small space. I felt like some of the inversions and the airtime hills could have been a bit more forceful, but I loved the creativity, and I don't understand why this ride gets so much hate. 8/10

Storm Runner- The launch was insane, it felt way faster than 72 mph. I got some air on the tophat, and then after a fairly forceless Immelman, the ride really came to life. The ejector hill into a barrel roll was plain awesome, and the flying snake dive was pretty disorienting in a good way. The last twisty was up there with Maverick in terms of amazing laterals. A bit short, but very sweet. 9/10

Wildcat- This was my first GCI, and I had the idea that GCI's were like B&M's: fun and smooth, but not the most forceful. Well, Wildcat had very powerful airtime and laterals, but there were parts that beat the crap out of me. I really wanted to love it, and it was still pretty fun, but I can't overlook the roughness. 6.5/10

Lightning Racer broke down, so we crossed over to the other side of the park.

Great Bear- A seriously underrated ride. The predrop helix was weird and forceful, and made the drop even more awesome. Each inversion was packed with force. The ending was pretty lame, but it was more like the last 1/5th than half. A really good B&M invert. 8/10.

SooperDooperLooper- My first Schwarzkopf, and it was pretty fun. I loved the freedom of the restraints, and the loop was very intense. The rest of the ride was fun, if not thrilling. 7/10

Skyrush- The anticipation for this ride was immense. I took the back left wing, and soon we were going up the freakishly fast lifthill. I don't really remember too much of the ride other than that every hill had the best ejector air ever, the laterals were intense, and there was lateral airtime (which I didn't know was a thing). I also had no problem with the noodles, they did come down pretty tight, but that's to be expected on a ride this intense, and there was no pain afterward. This ride is perfect IMO, and it's now my #2 coaster. 10/10

Lightning Racer- By this time, the ride had reopened. This was more what I had expected from GCI. The first drop was great, the ride was very smooth for a woodie, and there were decent laterals and a few airtime moments. The racing element added another dimension, and the side I was on won. 8.5/10

Overall, the park was awesome, and the operations weren't as bad as I had heard. My one complaint is that this park NEEDS single rider lines. Every coaster was being dispatched with multiple empty seats, and there were times where there were three empty seats per row on Great Bear. At the very least, the operators could ask if there are any single riders in the station if the park isn't willing to create a separate line. But other than that, I have no complaints, and I had a wonderful time at Hershey.

I had the same expectations for Wildcat, I just went to Hershey for the first time in 10 years (I'm 14, so I don't remember it at all) and Wildcat was fun but rough. Really a bummer that Lightning Racer was closed, because we rode both rides 6 times in a row. Great reviews, and also I can't agree more with that ejector hill on Stormrunner, what is that?

... then after a fairly forceless Immelman...

I must have ridden a different ride because the immelman on storm runner was the most forceful one I had ever ridden. I greyed out! I also like the querky dive out of the immelman; very steep and gives a great speed sensation. But for the launch, i totally agree! The only other coaster with such forceful launch Ive been on was Hypersonic XLC.

CPmillenia94
Skyrush- The anticipation for this ride was immense. I took the back left wing, and soon we were going up the freakishly fast lifthill. I don't really remember too much of the ride other than that every hill had the best ejector air ever, the laterals were intense, and there was lateral airtime (which I didn't know was a thing). I also had no problem with the noodles, they did come down pretty tight, but that's to be expected on a ride this intense, and there was no pain afterward. This ride is perfect IMO, and it's now my #2 coaster. 10/10

This is exactly the same way I felt about the ride and why I'm praying harder then a nun that has sinned that Knotts is planning a Skyrush WEST!!!

^Oh yeah of course I would love something like I305 that's my #1 coaster period!!! I just don't believe Knotts is getting a giga or would even think about trying to put one in the park , I'd love to eat crow and be wrong though. So I've just downgraded my own expectations to not expect more then a hyper at the most and what better way to go then something like Skyrush,which falls in my #3 spot after Bizzaro

On topic though I wonder if HP is looking at a Watercoaster replacement or since they seem to love Intamin as I do maybe something like Divertical!!!

Skyrush. Wow. Just wow. It is a rare beast, in small but exclusive company in the USA. This thing smacked me upside the skull on my second lap (back right wing seat, twisty, head meet center seat restraint, see stars), and I still love it.

The rush over the top is unparalleled in my experience. It throws the train angrily over the crest. Then free fall, the first of a minute of amazing intensity. Watching from offride, I was stunned at the speed the train roars through the serpentine course. Unrelenting.

My son and I were lucky to enjoy a half hour of ERT on this, the class of the 2012 intros. We tried front, middle, wings, center, and settled nigh permanently in the back.

The restraints... sheesh, they weren't bad at all. What, you want this brute to throw you? It holds on tight. I slouched in the seat one ride, a mistake I didn't make a second time. A little rough (as in vice grip) on the male anatomy. Sit up straight, no problem.

By the end of the 30 minutes my coaster crazed son was hands up through the entire course - he's insane. I could only raise my hands on the straights. Oh the ejector!

By all that is right, let this monster remain untamed by trims... please! And yes, there were a few in my group who cried out "too much! Let this thing be tamed." Fie on them.

Not every ride should be for everybody. Those are called B&M.

Hershey, you have a gem. Leave it as is!

(We also tried the untrimmed i305 this trip. Yawn. After riding it with the first drop brakes, I was expecting a vast improvement. Didn't get it.)

How are the lines for the end of August? I'll be going down this weekend, can't wait to ride Skyrush!!

I don't know but I'll be there this weekend...I'll let you know!

Mixed feelings about Roller Soaker up for sale. I thought it fit in well to the Boardwalk area (& was a nice family ride), but the throughput is awful on a busy day. Can't say that the funnel and tube slide throughput is much better though.

They need to replace with some higher capacity slides. A complex with about 15 slides might help with some of the long lines in the summer. Even though I wasn't a fan of them removing the rapids ride, I will say that adding the wave pool and lazy river definitely helped with the crowds a bit.

My personal vote is to replace RS with a swim up bar for adults, but that's probably a pipe dream!

How are the lines for the end of August? I'll be going down this weekend, can't wait to ride Skyrush!!

Hate to break it to you, but it's been pretty brutal, especially on weekends. Last Saturday the attendance was a little over 39,000 and that was with an all day-concert right next door. Expect some loooooooong waits, unless you perfectly execute "the plan" (it's been posted numerous times in this thread and in others). But don't worry, Skyrush is worth it!

^ agree with this. In addition, this is the last weekend before school starts in this area and next weekend is Labor Day weekend. I would expect the park to be crazy with people squeezing in one last visit.