TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Yeah, opening day dispatches were terrible. I timed them on a day in mid July and they averaged between 3 and 3 1/2 minutes. Which still isn't that great, but at least its an improvement.

Also, I havn't really noticed all these bad operations that everyone complains about. Sure, their not the best, but I find most Six Flags parks to be much worse. Then again, I might have gotten use to the operations since I visit Hershey so much.

Not being snarky, but how many parks have you been to that truly have good operations? I'm talking parks like Knoebels, Holiday World, Disney/Universal parks, Cedar Point, Dollywood, etc.? Because if you've never been to those parks, your basis for comparison is pretty far off. Hershey's operations are almost as bad as it gets for an American park (which in most cases is a pretty low standard).

I have actually been to all the parks you listed except for Holiday World (hoping to get there soon). And I know that Hershey is no where near their standard. Having recently visited Dollywood for the first time, I was very impressed with their operations. I'm not saying that Hershey's operations are great, because they definitely aren't. I just dont think they're worse than a typical six flags park like some people make them out to be. But like I said before I may just be used to them since I go there so much.

Harrisburg is a culmination of all the awful Pennsylvania roads in one place. Miserable city. Took us far too long to navigate.

Downtown is pretty bad, but a lot of the interstate system around the city (I-81, I-83, PA-581) is pretty straightforward. The section of I-83 that's to the south of downtown is in pretty bad shape though.

Back on topic... um... does anyone know what the newest flat at Hershey is?

I'm pretty sure the newest major flat ride is the Howler, a Wisdom Tornado. If I recall correctly, it was installed in 2008 along with Fahrenheit.

Of course, you could pull a Six Flags and call the relocation of the Tilt-A-Whirl a "new" ride...

We went to Hershey last Wednesday and Thursday. I was surprised at how many people vacation here. We haven't been since 2004. BGW didn't seem this busy on July 4th. We thought most of the employees were friendly. We especially liked there parent swap policy where we could bring our youngest son who is only 48" in line with us on the 4 bigger coasters and let my oldest son and wife ride and then I would wait next and we could hand him off and the older one could ride again with me. This was a real benefit as we could all wait together and wouldn't have to wait twice in line. Some parks we have done this at make one person wait at the exit to swap. Then when you get on you have to listen to people complaining at why do you get special treatment or you may also be messing up there groups.

A couple of my opinions:

Skyrush is amazing. I rode the left wing back seat Wed night and middle left wing seat Thurs night. This was the first hyper or giga coaster that I didn't hold my hands up on (I have been on 15 different ones). I held on for dear life. I have never felt air time like this including El Toro or Bizarro. IMHO Skyrush is better than I 305 just for the fear element. I feel safe and secure in I 305. I love the Holy S--T moments on Skyrush. The bar was hurting my legs by the time we were on the brake run but that might have been from me pushing it down so hard during the ride so I wouldn't fly out. The pain was worth it and I would hate to see them change to restraints like I 305 as a few suggested as I think it would take a lot from the ride. FYI the station is absolutely awful as everyone has stated.

Also I'm surprised at how many negative reviews I have read about Fahrenheit in the past. It's no top 10 ride but we thought it was a fun, fast paced unique ride. It's like a bigger better version of a Eurofighter (which isn't a bad thing). We rode both times in the front. I think I liked it better than Storm Runner.

Wildcat wasn't as rough as I thought it would be after reading some of these comments and Lightning Racer wasn't as fun as I remembered but still good. I liked the unique track on Reese's Cup Challenge but the ride could be so much better with different targets. Hershey amazes me at how they keep fitting ride after ride in that Minetown/ Comets Hollow area. It makes for some cool, unique layouts and somehow they keep it looking like this was the master plan from the get go.

Despite the poor operations there is something magical about being at Hershey. It reminds me of how Kings Dominion once was when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's before the corporate enviroment took over.

^I tried to put my hands up at least a couple times on Skyrush. Big mistake. I now know all too well what people meant about almost flying out, especially from the time I was forcefully wrenched sideways!

I do think Fahrenheit is a decent ride, perhaps a bit underrated even, but nothing to rave about. Wildcat I was fine with last year in the back (just found it a bit boring), but it was actually really rough in the front this year, which I'm sure surprised no one else.

I agree, there is something about the atmosphere at Hershey that always gets me and sticks in my memory, even though it's not a perfect park.

Skyrush is amazing.

I agree. I rode it 6 times when I was there with the TPR tour. Honestly, I only felt it once hurt my legs. One thing I did that seem to help me was cross my feet. But yeah your right that Skyrush is better for the "omg im out of my seat factor" then I305.

Despite the poor operations there is something magical about being at Hershey.

Hershey is magical and It's still one of my favorite parks to go to.

I was with Chris yesterday at the park, and while Skyrush was dispatching with empty seats, a lot has to be said for people not wanting to split up groups and what not. On all 3 rides, ride ops always said two seats here, and allowed people to get on if they wanted to.

While lines were absolutely insane, I must say Skyrush gets most improved, while waiting through all of the switchbacks, it was still only a 30-40 minute wait.

I am still disappointed in the amount of miserable workers at the park.

Also parents, there are height checks and height guides at the rides for a reason. Don't hold up the freaking line having a hissy fit because your kid is 3 inches too short for the bumper cars. Then after they walk you over to the exit, you still yell at the poor worker. He doesn't make the rules, you just failed to comprehend them.

I agree. That upsets me when people don't check their kids height before entering the queues and then get mad and complain when the kid gets denied. Nice way to set an example in front of your kids by acting like a total dumb ass in front of a bunch of strangers.

Hershey goes above and beyond what they need to for height restrictions on rides...probably one of the best in the business. I really don't think that they could dumb it down any more than what they currently have. They're comparing it to candy, for God's sake!

As far as workers, I agree that they need to take a picture out of Dollywoods & Disney's (haven't been to Holiday World, but it sounds just as good) book and hire older workers or be very critical of whom they hire for these jobs. While the ride op experience can't make or break a day at a theme park, you certainly notice and appreciate when a ride op goes out of their way to ensure guests have a good time.

I have written E-mails to parks when I observe a ride crew that seems to be exceptional in my book. While I don't take names, I know that the park can figure out what ride crew is working when I tell them when I was at a certain attraction at a certain time & date. It's all about the little things...

On that note, I'm pumped for my (much, much needed) weekend vacation there. While I figure Saturday will have insane lines, I know that we have two days there and can take our time and just have fun! I am very curious to ride Skyrush with all the different opinions I have seen on here...should be interesting!

^I tried to put my hands up at least a couple times on Skyrush. Big mistake. I now know all too well what people meant about almost flying out, especially from the time I was forcefully wrenched sideways!

I do think Fahrenheit is a decent ride, perhaps a bit underrated even, but nothing to rave about. Wildcat I was fine with last year in the back (just found it a bit boring), but it was actually really rough in the front this year, which I'm sure surprised no one else.

I agree, there is something about the atmosphere at Hershey that always gets me and sticks in my memory, even though it's not a perfect park.

I personally really enjoyed Fahrenheit but thought that the rattle in the cobra roll was just sad considering that it's only four years old and it really detracted from a really great ride in my opinion. As for Wildcat it was fine except for that one turn which was absolutely brutal but it had some airtime. As for Skyrush I forgot to hold on during the first pull up (I did this on all my rides to minimize stapling) and ended up leaning out of the train, the rest of the ride was awesome with my hands in the air.

Well, I'd be upset if I lived in or around Harrisburg too.

As someone that spent 26 years of his life in Harrisburg, I vote "yes" on this.

And people haven't been paying attention to the height restriction on the bumper cars for, um, forever. Pretty much every incident where I had to call security when I worked at Hershey was because of an insane guest screaming and making threats, insisting that they HAD to bring their embryo or whatever on the bumper cars. "They're sitting with me! They'll be safe!" was the usual argument. Dumb people are dumb.

dt

^ I'm thinking it would fit but I'm sure they are going to put more slides in then just that complex. Right now they only have 4 slides I think and that area just needs more then a mat racer. Can't wait to see what they add, even if they update the waterpark next year. I still think they overlooked or just didn't care that they stuck a waterpark where it's going to be hard to expand. Canyon River Rapids i still miss you

This was the first hyper or giga coaster that I didn't hold my hands up on (I have been on 15 different ones). I held on for dear life. I have never felt air time like this including El Toro or Bizarro.

I completely feel you there. I really tried to put my hands up but I seriously thought I'd be thrown into the water! My daugther isn't a huge coaster fan but she got on it because it didn't have loops and she was just screaming "DADDY DADDY". I told her if she could do that and like it, she could do anything!

Rode Skyrush four times, twice on the wings twice on the inside. First off, if you are a smaller person, do not ride the wings! I literally felt like my femur was about to snap into two pieces! Most larger people have no problem with them though. The inside seats, they are maybe the most amazing coaster experience of my life.

I really liked Roller Soaker. I don't think I've ever had so much fun waiting in a line for a ride. It could be that when I went, it was a hot August day several years ago. Yet, having the riders dump water on you while you spray them back was just so much fun. At the price that's being listed, I wouldn't mind seeing Six Flags America purchasing it and putting it in Hurricane Harbor.

While the Roller Soaker was really unique, I have only been able to ride it twice in 6 visits to Hershey and honestly won't miss it that much. It's capacity was terrible and I was only able to ride it towards the very end of the day when the line didn't have that many people left in it. Yet even with just 100 people ahead of me, the line took almost a half hour each time. Also, the ride broke down a lot and I also got stuck on it a few years ago.

Hopefully Hershey can use the space to add another water slide tower since the Boardwalk has been very crowded and popular since it opened.

Well, for one thing, I can't say anything that flattering about the Roller Soaker. Back when I was at Hershey in '09, it was a fun experience, but it just took waaaaay too long to load, and with the design of the ride it was painfully obvious. I really only did it just to get the credit.

I'd do it again if I was ever able to, but it would definitely require a pretty short line.