TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I don't get all the hate for Roller Soaker. If it's a warm day and you're in your bathing suit it's a really good fun ride.

I rode it for the first time in awhile with KT on the trip and she really liked it. It has a low height restriction, goes 'backwards' if you sit that way, and is interactive for both riders and spectators.

I totally understand that it's a capacity and maintenance nightmare, but I don't think everyone should hate on it so much.

I personally won't miss it, but I can see some families missing out on it.

I could not agree with you more Elissa. I actually really enjoyed it the one time it last year. I was just telling my friend last week about it actually because we are going on the 24th and I told him we gotta ride it because its so different then any other coaster in the area.

Going to Hershey on Saturday night and I'm hoping to get on most of the rides if it doesn't rain. Last time I was at Hershey we got on 2 rides and then there were multiple thunderstorms within the area the rest of the day and when we were leaving the park reopened.

Never been on a launched coaster before and Storm Runner will be my first one. Anyone have any tips besides keeping your head back?

I don't get all the hate for Roller Soaker. If it's a warm day and you're in your bathing suit it's a really good fun ride.

I rode it for the first time in awhile with KT on the trip and she really liked it. It has a low height restriction, goes 'backwards' if you sit that way, and is interactive for both riders and spectators.

I totally understand that it's a capacity and maintenance nightmare, but I don't think everyone should hate on it so much.

I personally won't miss it, but I can see some families missing out on it.

Come on Elissa. You know water rides and water parks are destroying this industry.

Going to Hershey on Saturday night and I'm hoping to get on most of the rides if it doesn't rain. Last time I was at Hershey we got on 2 rides and then there were multiple thunderstorms within the area the rest of the day and when we were leaving the park reopened.

Never been on a launched coaster before and Storm Runner will be my first one. Anyone have any tips besides keeping your head back?

Just to forewarn you but there is going to be a big concert on Saturday in the Stadium. On top of this will be the typical weekend crowds as well. Last Saturday was packed and there was a concert so I recommend getting the evening Fast Track pass before they sell out. It's $25 for one ride on five of the coasters in the park.

Went to Hershey last night and used the Twilight passes, my mom and I went in a little before 8PM and stayed right up to the end. Didn't get to do many rides only both sides of Lightning Racer,SDL, Kissing Tower, Log Flume (twice), and Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge twice. SDL's new trains looked neat and the ride felt very smooth for me.

Skyrush's line was too long right up to the ride entrance and my mom didn't want me riding because of my ear infection so I just sat on the path and watched it run. The one thing that really annoyed me was how many empty seats were on the train. At one point there was only 1 person in a whole row. Usually, I am a single rider and it would be nice to see if Hershey was somehow able to create a single rider line. It would definitely help fill in some of those empty spots on the trains.

Towards 10:30 PM I went on and did RXCC and went right onto the ride using the Single Rider line. I came out and told my mom she should try because it won't affect her back.l We get in line a few minutes later and then around 10:50PM they announced they were having technical difficulties but we decided to wait it out. Finally about 15 minutes later the ride started working again and we boarded. During the ride our vehicle stopped for about 5 minutes before moving again.

Lastly, we went to get Funnel Cake to have on the way out and waited 20 minutes for it. The cashier was taking her time and kept leaving in between customers to do something else. Then when you get to the cashier there was a huge puddle of water or soda all over the ground. The employees who were making the Funnel cake didn't even look happy and was being rude to some of us who aske d or chocolate syrup. Never had to deal with bad service like that at Hershey before.

If you go to ride Skyrush by yourself or with one buddy, the best thing that you can do for yourself and everyone around you (in my opinion) is to ask around to see who's a group of two or three in the queue. Usually, you won't have to move very far behind, and most guests don't mind if you only have to move a tiny bit ahead of them to join the group (as long as you're not rude about it).

It's always a heap of trouble to be in an odd-numbered group, especially on a four-across ride like Skyrush. Three people? You leave a seat open. Five people? Someone has to be the loser and go alone.

They really crammed that Skyrush station into as small a footprint as possible. I can't imagine there is any way to enlarge it without making drastic modification elsewhere. And IIRC Comet was right on the other side of the station (along with Skyrush storage and what else), so I don't know how they could unload on the opposite side.

RollerSoaker had an absolutely horrible capacity, but it was a pretty fun ride. I went on it every time I went to Hershey just because I was with a group of family so we could chat on line. We always got lucky with a wait starting in the station, but that was still nearly 30 minutes. I think it would be cool if they replaced it with a ride like Divertical, but I'm not sure if they would do that since they already have Tidal Force. I do think it would be a cool addition though.

So I finally made it to the park to check out Skyrush yesterday! I always go in June but this year I had to wait until August and I knew the lines would be much worse. I can't remember the last time I saw a line at Lightning Racer!

Skyrush I have got to say is really intense and an amazing ride. I have heard the back left winged seat is supposed to be the best seat and it didn't disappoint because I also sat in the middle right after since we were able to get back on quickly! Fast Forward to the night time when I realize I didn't sit on the left side in the morning (Sat on the left when looking at the train LOL). I finally truly sat on the left side and it was even more intense then my morning ride on the right side. I have to say the line actually moved pretty quickly, more so then Comet. I thought it was my #2 coaster after El Toro but the back left winged seat just might have taken #1, just still deciding!

The restraints I didn't notice until after we were waiting on the break run. I did actually feel some "pain" and they had tightened up but nothing that would take away from the ride!

I hope we see more of these at other parks!

I was with Chris yesterday at the park, and while Skyrush was dispatching with empty seats, a lot has to be said for people not wanting to split up groups and what not. On all 3 rides, ride ops always said two seats here, and allowed people to get on if they wanted to.

While lines were absolutely insane, I must say Skyrush gets most improved, while waiting through all of the switchbacks, it was still only a 30-40 minute wait.

I am still disappointed in the amount of miserable workers at the park.

Also parents, there are height checks and height guides at the rides for a reason. Don't hold up the freaking line having a hissy fit because your kid is 3 inches too short for the bumper cars. Then after they walk you over to the exit, you still yell at the poor worker. He doesn't make the rules, you just failed to comprehend them.

How have dispatches on Skyrush been doing? In early June they were averaging about 5 minutes beginning of the day and 4 1/2 minutes towards the end. I may potentially be going down on a weekend during the Halloween event.

I'm not sure time wise for dispatching but at night time with the switchbacks full, it took only about 40 minutes. I thought it was fairly quick and the line kept moving for the most part. I'm thinking it was most likely under 4 minutes but I'm sure if people paid attention to the signs while waiting it would move much quicker. The line that took the longest during the day was Comet, with the line full and coming out of the switchbacks it took well over an hour.

Also parents, there are height checks and height guides at the rides for a reason. Don't hold up the freaking line having a hissy fit because your kid is 3 inches too short for the bumper cars. Then after they walk you over to the exit, you still yell at the poor worker. He doesn't make the rules, you just failed to comprehend them.

Being an op who has worked the bumper cars in the past, I can't possibly explain how frustrating this is on my end. I have people bring infants through the line and expect to ride with them, and then get angry because they had to stand in the line, which began at the measuring box!

How have dispatches on Skyrush been doing? In early June they were averaging about 5 minutes beginning of the day and 4 1/2 minutes towards the end. I may potentially be going down on a weekend during the Halloween event.

Yeah, opening day dispatches were terrible. I timed them on a day in mid July and they averaged between 3 and 3 1/2 minutes. Which still isn't that great, but at least its an improvement.

Also, I havn't really noticed all these bad operations that everyone complains about. Sure, their not the best, but I find most Six Flags parks to be much worse. Then again, I might have gotten use to the operations since I visit Hershey so much.

I'd say anywhere from 3-5 minutes maybe, it really depended if there lots of people using the handicap access. But even then if it was a bigger group they split it up.

Being an op who has worked the bumper cars in the past, I can't possibly explain how frustrating this is on my end. I have people bring infants through the line and expect to ride with them, and then get angry because they had to stand in the line, which began at the measuring box!

That's where the line started when we got in line too, and there was someone standing out there as well!

Yeah, opening day dispatches were terrible. I timed them on a day in mid July and they averaged between 3 and 3 1/2 minutes. Which still isn't that great, but at least its an improvement.

Also, I havn't really noticed all these bad operations that everyone complains about. Sure, their not the best, but I find most Six Flags parks to be much worse. Then again, I might have gotten use to the operations since I visit Hershey so much.

Not being snarky, but how many parks have you been to that truly have good operations? I'm talking parks like Knoebels, Holiday World, Disney/Universal parks, Cedar Point, Dollywood, etc.? Because if you've never been to those parks, your basis for comparison is pretty far off. Hershey's operations are almost as bad as it gets for an American park (which in most cases is a pretty low standard).

^ I can agree with you Steve. Having been to Dollywood, Knoebels, and Disney I know how great operations can be. Hershey has went way down hill really fast.

Don't get me wrong it is still a nice park and if I lived closer I would probably have a season pass. I just remember how the operations used to be when I was younger - just how nice and kind most of the employees were.

Anyway... I am going to the park on Friday and I can not wait. My friend Matt has never been so that makes me even more excited. Glad I am not going on a weekend day since I keep hearing how long the lines get. I am on a mission to get Matt on every coaster - we'll see how this goes. It is nice to finally go to a park with someone that enjoys the water park too

I know I don't have a right to judge (seeing as I have never worked as a ride op), but it is really that hard to at least put a smile on your face? At Cedar Point, this one Maverick ride op clearly loved his job. He was cracking jokes and making tons of horse noises over the speaker. He really made the line seem so much shorter. I'm not saying you have to be 100% happy-happy joy-joy, but a little smile couldn't hurt. If an op is disgruntled because of riders, perhaps moving faster and really doing you job will make them happier, and thus you.