TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Could it kill them to put some shade over the queue though?

I haven't gotten up to Hershey yet to ride it, but judging by pictures I also wondered why they didn't put any shade at all over that huge area of switchbacks...? Either they didn't have them in the budget or they wanted the view of the lift/drop clear from the queue are my only guesses.

Probably a bit of both. The lift hill is so fast it's thrilling just to watch it. There's always gonna be a few gasps in the line.

http://www.ldnews.com/latestnews/ci_21012079/fire-reported-at-old-hersheypark-arena

The historic Hersheypark Arena, the longtime home of the Hershey Bears and site of Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game, escaped serious damage during an afternoon fire on Thursday. Fire crews were initially dispatched to the 76-year-old arena about 1:10 p.m. White smoke could be seen coming from the roof on the arena's western end. The smoke eventually turned gray, then black, and then flames were visible shooting from the roof for several minutes. The blaze eventually went to five alarms, and multiple fire companies from Dauphin, Lebanon and Lancaster counties were dispatched to the scene. Fire apparatus lined up next to Hersheypark Stadium waiting on stand-by. More fire companies from other counties were called to fill in for Dauphin County stations service areas while those crews were on scene.

The fire was located in a small area in the rooftop that had a wood frame around it, said Tim Shellenberger, managing director of corporate safety and security for Hershey Entertainment and Resorts. "The difficulty and why it took so long is not that it was a big blaze or a lot of harm to the structure itself," he said. "The difficulty was that it's over 100 feet off the floor of the arena, and there's very few catwalk structures and things to get to it." Additionally, Shellenberger said, firefighters had to go through multiple layers of building material just to reach the fire. "So it was just difficult for the firefighters to get to that location and be able to extinguish it," he said.

The fire was extinguished around 3:15 p.m. Afterwards, firefighters used chainsaws to cut away sections of the roof to search for hot spots.

The cause of the blaze is still under investigation by a Dauphin County fire marshal, said Chief Pat Leonard of the Hershey Volunteer Fire Co. "It doesn't appear to be anything suspicious," Leonard said. Three firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion, Leonard said. Two were transported to an area hospital and released, and one was treated at the scene. "One was assisted from the roof," Leonard said. "He was overcome by heat on the roof. We put safety ropes and tag lines on him. We had a small technical rescue from the roof." The fire was under control in about two hours, he said.

A damage estimate was not available, but Shellenberger noted there was "little to none." "It won't take us very long to repair what's there," he said. "Obviously, we'll have to wait until all the smoke clears to see how much soot and ash is on the old arena seats and the floor. I'm sure we're going to have a few days of cleanup, but actual structural damage, very minimal." Shellenberger said there are no structural concerns, although an order for non-essential personnel to get off the roof because of possible structural concerns was heard over emergency dispatch channels. "There probably was a concern while it was still a fire, but once it was put out there's been no actual degration to the structure itself at all," he said.

Shellenberger said the biggest concern was for the firefighters because of the heat. Temperatures reached the mid 90s on Thursday, and firefighters were rotating after 20-minute intervals. "There were multiple stations set up, some in air conditions, some under tents with ice, misters, showers and we had enough of a response here - it was a beautiful thing - by the fire department that they were able to rotate staff, so no one was really put under pressure to the point where they were in any kind of extreme danger," he said.

Shellenberger praised the firefighters who responded to the blaze, especially considering the heat they faced. "Few people love firefighters more than I do, and they did an outstanding job, and I couldn't begin to thank them enough for their response, their care," he said.

The fire did not affect Hersheypark at all, Shellenberger said. Nearby rides could be seen operating normally, including the park's new Skyrush roller coaster.

Between 30 and 40 people were in offices in the arena when the fire started, and they were all safely evacuated.

Shellenberger said no one was injured, but emergency scanner reports indicated several people were taken to a hospital.

The arena's roof is currently in the process of being replaced, but Shellenberger thinks the timing was coincidental and construction had nothing to do with the fire. "We have no way of knowing," he said. "They had worked in that area, but that was several days ago. They haven't been in that area for multiple days, so I wouldn't want to suggest it was the cause at this point."

Construction workers were working on the roof Thursday, but not in the area of the fire, he said.

The arena will be cleaned up, and operations will eventually return to normal, Shellenberger said. The arena's primary function nowadays is as an ice-skating facility, he said. "The amount of events that we have there is minimal at this point, but, yes, in a few days time we'll probably get back to normal with what events were scheduled there," he said.

The arena opened in 1936. Originally called the Hersheypark Sports Arena, it was designed and constructed by D. Paul Witmer, head of Hershey Lumber Products. The arena had a capacity of more than 7,500 seats.

Known as the 'Old Barn,' the arena was the home of the Hershey Bears for many years and is now the home of the Hershey Junior Bears youth ice hockey team, as well as the Lebanon Valley College and Shippensburg University ice hockey teams.

Over the years, it also has hosted events such as the Ice Capades, Disney on Ice, and in 1953, then-President Dwight D. Eisenhower's birthday celebration. Besides being home to the Bears, it is perhaps best known as the site of Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game on March 2, 1962.

"The Hersheypark Arena is a landmark and an icon to our company," Shellenberger said. "We would not be happy if something serious happened to it, so everybody (breathed) a little sigh of relief that the historic Hersheypark Arena is sound, it's fine, and it'll be back to normal shortly."

20120705_032755_blaze.jpg.3982fc1a8eda56f67c4aa2f46d420250.jpg

Fire shoots out of the roof of the Hershey Park Arena as fire crews battle a multi-alarm blaze Thursday, July 5, 2012. In the background people continue to ride Skyrush, Hershey Park's newest rollercoaster. LEBANON DAILY NEWS - JEREMY LONG

So sad. Such a historic building and long time home to my favorite team. The Hershey Bears! I'm just happy that there isn't any serious damage and nobody was hurt. Hopfully all damage is repaired.

I know this has been answered numerous times throughout this thread, but it's gotten buried under all the posts from Skyrush and what not.... Can anyone tell me where I can get the best discount for a single day admission to the park? I see on their website that Giant Food Stores has $11 off general admission. Is there currently any better? If not, is the store closest to the park a "participating location"?

Giant would be your best bet. There is one as you are entering Hershey on Cocoa Ave. (Rt. 743) a block up from Rt. 322. There is also a Giant as you are entering Hershey from Rt. 39 near the Antique Auto Museum.

Not much to say, just wanna mention I love Hershey!

A childhood memory, (my Uncle live in Harrisburg and we went often) great park, still small-y but lots of great rides.

Been twice now, rode Skyrush 5 times and hoping for another visit.

Wasnt sure at first but absolutely my favorite coaster there!

Shame HP is so cramped, would've been great if Skyrush could be longer..it would probably be my favorite coaster.

So I am going to Hershey Park for the first time a week from Wednesday. I want to hit all of the major rides at least once. So I was just wondering what the best seats are and what are the best times to ride everything?

All personal of course but for woodies I always take the very back.

If you like a rough ride, back for Wild Cat is a must!

That's the only time I focus on seats, usually I just take shortest line.

Hershey can be tough, I've see crowded summer days but my most recent trip in June was under 30 minutes for every coaster!

However, we have had some success with doing the park in reverse. Going to the far side with Wildcat, Lightning Racer etc and move towards the front. Sometimes we've dodged the crowds entirely with it.

Edit: Oh, the area with Skyrush is just a naturally crowded area so be warned. The line for Skyrush can be deceiving too. The queue is real short, so if it extends way past it dont be put off, and it moves quick.

Edited by JJLehto

So I am going to Hershey Park for the first time a week from Wednesday. I want to hit all of the major rides at least once. So I was just wondering what the best seats are and what are the best times to ride everything?

A family member of mine went yesterday - Sunday - and said there were no lines whatsoever. Everything, including Skyrush, was basically a walk-on. The longest wait all day was 20 minutes for Fahrenheit.

Front is definitely worth it on Storm Runner, Fahrenheit, and Lightning Racer.

I personally have nothing against the backseat of Wildcat, but from what I've heard you may love it or hate it.

Oh yeah deff, if you're not a fan of rougher rides I wouldn't recommend it. ha

But I'm a masochist like that.

I would agree front with Storm Runner but just because front any launch is fun.

Wildcat rattles your brain a little bit if you sit in the very back, but it's good fun. Lots of fun laterals going down the twisty drops.

And, yes, I do go to Penn State.

^Actually, going in the back for Storm Runner, the launch seems more intense. Also, something i noticed, looking down and leaning forward during a launch or a large drop *always* makes it more intense. I don't know enough in biology why it seems that way, but I tried it on dozens of coasters and drop towers, and it works every time; it also makes drops seem about twenty degrees steeper than they really are.

Though I haven't tried this plan myself yet, I will on New Hotness: The most logical route seems to be to start off at Fahrenheit at the very beginning of the day because everyone will crowd around Skyrush and the surrounding area. That way, before people realize Fahrenheit is there, you can get a few rides in on that before its low capacity becomes a problem. Then make your way around the back of the park for a few hours riding everything there and then nearing the afternoon head towards the front of the park as the crowds would have more evenly distributed themselves by then (and at the heat of the day the water park will be packed to the brim so that will make it even easier.)

Best advice on what to hit and in order is this:

1. Fahrenheit: First or last rows are the best with the front giving you a great view of the track ahead of you and the back giving you hangtime going down the first drop.

2.Lightning Racer: Both coasters more/less perform the same way, but get on them both. Front row is a recommended seat, but the back does produce some airtime or both sides. Little to no wait makes it a good ride to hit on those busy days.

3. Wildcat: The front is the most comfortable.

4. Wild Mouse: any seat.

5. Storm Runner: Go for the front, but the back rows provide a great ride as well.

6. Sidewinder: Front or back rows.

7. Trailblazer: any row.

8. Great Bear: Front row (if line isn't too long), but back row does provide an intense ride.

9. Sooperdooperlooper: back row for some floater airtime going into the final helix, but front is good as well.

10. Skyrush: Front row on the edge seats and middle seats provide a great ride, but if you want the extra pop of airtime on the first drop, try the last row.

11. Comet: last row is pretty good.

12. Roller Soaker: if you plan on riding it, do it about an hour before the Boardwalk closes at 8pm.

Agreed about Skyrush, I did notice a good bit more air on the drop in back row.

One of the few times I let out a true, full scream!

Intense floater over the top into that 85 degree drop.

Also you need to ride the wing seats. Those flicks are intense.

Cool stuff AJ, graduated myself but I miss those PSU days

I've got a question for JJLehto: in one of your post, you said

You rode Skyrush 5 times? And not one compliant about how bad your thighs were hurting afterwards? Could it be that the park finally fixed their R-E-S-T-R-A-I-N-T-S for that ride? And did you ride anything else, or just spent the day riding nothing but Skyrush (Which I wouldn't knock down because as a rider and amusement park flyer you can ride what you want and skip out what you don't want to ride. I tried doing that to the Merry Derry Dip, but I end up quitting after five times; all those steps can be a killer )?

"Hey, why not do marathons with me? I'm sure you will find it relaxing!"

12. Roller Soaker: if you plan on riding it, do it about an hour before the Boardwalk closes at 8pm.

Thanks for that. I usually hear to hit it first, unless you're one of those people who would rather be soaked on a drive as opposed to throughout your day at the park (I'm not sure I have a preference on this). I'm still not positive what I'll do, but it's very rare that I let an available credit get away from me, so I'm definitely looking to ride it once.

Thanks for the run-down of which order to hit the coasters. Will serve us well.

I'm also wondering about the Roller Soaker thing though. We skipped it when we went to the park in 2005 because it wasn't warm but I'd like to hit it this time.

Wonder if it'd be worth it to wear some throw-away sandals into the park then change into shoes after riding RollerSoaker first (or 2nd after Fahrenheit). I don't mind my clothes being wet, it's the shoes I don't care for.

You rode Skyrush 5 times? And not one compliant about how bad your thighs were hurting afterwards? Could it be that the park finally fixed their R-E-S-T-R-A-I-N-T-S for that ride?

Or it could be that the restraints really aren't a problem for some people. I didn't find them to be painful at all, and I rode it six times in a day. Or, he just isn't a complainer.

You rode Skyrush 5 times? And not one compliant about how bad your thighs were hurting afterwards? Could it be that the park finally fixed their R-E-S-T-R-A-I-N-T-S for that ride? And did you ride anything else, or just spent the day riding nothing but Skyrush (Which I wouldn't knock down because as a rider and amusement park flyer you can ride what you want and skip out what you don't want to ride. I tried doing that to the Merry Derry Dip, but I end up quitting after five times; all those steps can be a killer )?

"Hey, why not do marathons with me? I'm sure you will find it relaxing!"

Well I've had this talk on CF...I guess my thighs are a beast. I went on opening day and honestly, it wasn't that bad. There was some soreness on ride, and it lasted for like 15 seconds after...but I thought people were really making too big a deal of it. My one friend is a bit big and even said it wasnt thaaat bad.

However, they HAVE indeed fixed the restraints!

Some people on CF said they were and I can verify.

My second visit they were far better. I had literally no soreness! Rode it 3 times in a row that day, once from back row wing and I was A OK !

Edit: Why do you think maybe I rode nothing else? We actually did every coaster except Fahrenheit! (I dont count roller soaker).

The Skyrush line moves quick.

Edited by JJLehto

You rode Skyrush 5 times? And not one compliant about how bad your thighs were hurting afterwards? Could it be that the park finally fixed their R-E-S-T-R-A-I-N-T-S for that ride?

Or it could be that the restraints really aren't a problem for some people. I didn't find them to be painful at all, and I rode it six times in a day. Or, he just isn't a complainer.

Combo.

As I just posted, I honestly had very little issue with them and yeah, I'm not a complainer. (Unless its really warranted). I was actually a bit miffed how much whining I heard but all our bodies our different.

We were fine, I heard some people actually had trouble walking!

Regardless, the restraints did feel better 2nd visit.

Going to Hersheypark tomorrow for the first time in at least 5 years. Can't wait to try Skyrush and Fahrenheit. Does anyone know if the restraints on the second train of Skyrush are currently being modified or if it is already done?