TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I wouldn't jump to assume the noodles are fixed once and for all. They are much better, but I'm hearing there are still some complaints. It's too early to tell for sure, but I think we should all thank Intamin and Hershey for moving as fast as they did to solve for the issue.

The only complaints I heard was GP saying the noodles were too tight.

With the nature of the hydraulics, the noodle is going to depress further down on the pullout after the first drop. It happened to me every time. I don't see it as a problem, just apart of the ride. The squishier noodles provide some conformablility to the rider's legs, but not too much. Its my personal opinion that Hershey sure does have a real winner on their hands, but not one that all people will enjoy. With the ride's nature will come complaints. Like i said above, it's very intense.

^I doubt that the ride can get a softer noodle without sacrificing safety (disclaimer: only my opinion.)

I wouldn't jump to assume the noodles are fixed once and for all. They are much better, but I'm hearing there are still some complaints. It's too early to tell for sure, but I think we should all thank Intamin and Hershey for moving as fast as they did to solve for the issue.

The only complaints I heard was GP saying the noodles were too tight.

With the nature of the hydraulics, the noodle is going to depress further down on the pullout after the first drop. It happened to me every time. I don't see it as a problem, just apart of the ride. The squishier noodles provide some conformablility to the rider's legs, but not too much. Its my personal opinion that Hershey sure does have a real winner on their hands, but not one that all people will enjoy. With the ride's nature will come complaints. Like i said above, it's very intense.

^I doubt that the ride can get a softer noodle without sacrificing safety (disclaimer: only my opinion.)

Well, the new restraints are much softer and the complaints have reduced significantly, thanks to Hershey and Intamin working quickly and seamlessly. I don't think the problem is totally solved, but certainly moving in the right direction, while you can also get an update on Screamscape.

Skyrush is not rough at all! On the contrary, the ride is very smooth. The only problem, for some, is the extreme airtime that presses you against the lap bar over every hill.

Same is true for I305 & that's got the much older maverick/KK style bars....the shoulder straps,even though covered with nylon padding are really starting to hurt so I'd love to see them just be removed entirely.

Same is true for I305 & that's got the much older maverick/KK style bars....the shoulder straps,even though covered with nylon padding are really starting to hurt so I'd love to see them just be removed entirely.

They can't, I don't think. The reason it has OTSRs is because of the transitions, and the brakes.

Funny thing, when the discussion of Stengel Dive or not was hot, I actually wrote to the Werner Stengel firm and asked this.

Now, some long time later, I actually recieved an answer:

Hello Jakob,

The Stengel Dive hasn't been defined and specified entirely.

However I wouldn't count that overbanked curve as Stengel Dive.

I hope we could help.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Andreas Wild

Ing.-Büro Stengel GmbH

Nesselwangerstr. 24

D-81476 München (Munich)

Germany

Tel.: +49-(0)89-7455170

Fax: +49-(0)89-74551744

email: Andreas.Wild@RCStengel.com

www.RCStengel.com

As a member of the not-a-Stengel-Dive party, I am very happy to read that! It just isn't one - no more than, say, I305's rise to the brakes. (Which is not a Stengel Dive.)

While I'm here - with the 4th being on a weekday this year, should the crowds at Hershey be excessively greater than usual? I would expect bigger crowds, but nothing like if the holiday fell on a Friday or Monday.

My husband and I rode both trains on Saturday. Personally, I didn't have a problem with either train. For my husband, he found train 2 (old one) very uncomfortable, but enjoyed his rides on train 1. They told us that the second train will be taken down for a couple days after the 4th of July to be retrofitted.

For me, the biggest issue is the loading and unloading on the same side of the station. They were opening the gates before the station was clear and it was a total jam trying to exit as people were tying to load.

I went to the park on Saturday and rode it for my first time! I thought the ride was AMAZING, but just like everyone else said the restraints are pretty uncomfortable. After riding both the old and new restraints, I agree the new ones are much better. I feel like if they some how changed the shape of the restraints to have some type of curve to semi fit the persons waist area, then it will take some of the pressure off that one area of your legs and make the ride much more enjoyable. I am glad that Hershey is making improvements to ride and I can't wait to see the final result!

Hey guys, what would be the best ride order if we did the nighttime preview thing on July 4, and did a full day on July 5? Will the crowds be absolutely horrendous?

Which rides should we do at night? I know to go to Fahrenheit first in the morning. Also, I want Skyrush as my 100'th coaster (Im currently at 91.)

And is fast track worth it? And is it true that it is only one use?

Thanks, sorryimaskingamillionquestions,Lego

Hey guys, what would be the best ride order if we did the nighttime preview thing on July 4, and did a full day on July 5? Will the crowds be absolutely horrendous?

I would put a big wager that the park will be crowded on both of those days. Especially at night with the fireworks. The preview is well worth it, only though when the crowds are light. I went to Carowinds on July 5th once, and will never go to a park around that time again. It may be wise to wait longer if you can, maybe next week.

Which rides should we do at night?

Skyrush's line isn't too bad by that time of night, same for SDL. The best bet for most laps would be to head to the back of the park to Lightning Racer, Wildcat, and Storm Runner. But, with the fireworks, I couldn't guess where the crowds would be. Fahrenheit's line is shortest in the morning. Last Saturday it was a 20min wait with about 15mins to the park's close.

And is fast track worth it? And is it true that it is only one use?

It is only one use. The system did not look too efficient, though I did see a group immediately get to ride Comet without a wait. For $55 on a extremely crowded day it may be worth it. But if you plan your visit accordingly, then you can avoid the crowds and get an incredible trip.

Edited by KDcoasterMAN

Here's how I managed an awesome first ride:

1) Read absolutely no reviews.

2) Stuck with ritual on all new coasters of waiting for front row.

3) Watching nary a smile on faces of nearly everyone exiting, including well seasoned coaster nerds.

4) One young woman who felt compelled to show us the pretty serious indent on her thigh.

5) Waiting 2 hours through three breakdowns in 90+ degree heat, knocking any expectations I had down to zero.

6) Lucking out and getting train #1 without knowing it had the cushier restraints.

7) Climbing on, leaving the station and tearing up the lift hill at absolutely insane speed.

8) From start to finish it was one "holy sh*t" scream after another.

9) Looking at my riding partner and us both saying at once, "what is the matter with everyone?!"

I rode in other rows and definitely expected to look down and see my legs ballooning like overinflated inner tubes, but that first ride won me over. The other thing is this is the first coaster where I seriously felt like I was coming out of my seat. This is way beyond ejector air, it's demented, deranged, mutant ejector air, and I loved it! The restraints need to grab hold that tight or it would be Sky Splat. It is an absolutely nuts ride, no comparing it to any Superman or i305.

We got a lot of rides in Saturday night and yes the further back you go the tighter the thigh clamping gets, but I got used to it. For future visits I'll definitely wait for front row most of the time, like many coasters it's the best place to be, YMMV of course!

I had a great time at Hershey Park on Friday night (Preview) and Saturday! Skyrush was amazing, rode both trains with both "noodles". Can't say I noticed much of a difference between them....although I learned it felt better if I put my hands on the side bars instead of on the front grab bars to pull up. Great ride, may do a trip report sometime soon.

Here's how I managed an awesome first ride:

I rode in other rows and definitely expected to look down and see my legs ballooning like overinflated inner tubes, but that first ride won me over. The other thing is this is the first coaster where I seriously felt like I was coming out of my seat. This is way beyond ejector air, it's demented, deranged, mutant ejector air, and I loved it! The noodles need to grab hold that tight or it would be Sky Splat. It is an absolutely nuts ride, no comparing it to any Superman or i305.

We got a lot of rides in Saturday night and yes the further back you go the tighter the thigh clamping gets, but I got used to it. For future visits I'll definitely wait for front row most of the time, like many coasters it's the best place to be, YMMV of course!

When we were here last week, on Tues/Wed, I'd say 60% of the people coming off looked happy to very happy, maybe 10% or less unhappy, and the rest just sort of "there". I saw a few complaints about thighs, but not that many.

I agree, a totally GREAT ride, I loved it despite some thigh pain. We rode towards back of the train every ride, the first drop was amongst the best ever!

Went to the park yesterday for the first time this season by myself and had an absolute blast. My goal was to get there before they opened and stay till closing which was easily met. I never follow what anyone says about doing a park a certain way. Like the now classic saying "I do what I want". I rode SDL first in the back seat because well I LOVE that coaster.

I then ventured to the back of the park hitting The Claw and Pirate on the way (no lines for either) and hit Fahrenheit, Mouse, Wildcat, Lightning Racer, and Music Express. This brought me to the water park. How I do enjoy their water park. But I will be honest and say that it NEEDS to be bigger. There are way too many people there and not enough water slides to accommodate them. Waiting 30+ minutes for the small slides in the water playhouse is just silly. Even though I love Roller Soaker I skipped it because of the line, same with the lazy river. So in the end I wasted $15 on a locker to frolic around the wave pool twice. I was going to get on Tidal Force because I love them types of rides but the line was way too long.

Sidewinder and Storm Runner were both running pretty awesome! I LOVE Boomerangs so I got on SW twice (once back and once front). Flying Falcon did not seem to have the same ride pattern as previous years. I could have sworn when it gets to the top it stops then spins there for a few minutes and then comes back down. This time it did not do that.

I was able to enjoy Zoo America after eating dinner (LOVE the new salad bar in the eatery under the arcade by Flying Falcon. It was kinda sad not seeing the buffalo but for some reason this is the ONLY zoo I go to that has EVERY animal out and viewable.

Great Beat was awesome as usual so no need to elaborate there. Coal Cracker was running really well! It would have been more enjoyable if I was not alone on it. The Comet is still one of my top woodies - I love everything about it.

Sky Rush.... all I can say is OMFG (in a good way of course). This coaster is AWESOME even though I did not think I was going to like it because it has no big drops after the first one!!! I only rode twice because the line was so long. The first time I rode in the back seat. I LOVED it!! I wanted to wait till night to ride in the front. So about 9:20 and I went and got in line for the front. I waited about 30 minutes and finally it was time. This ride at night, in the front, on a winged seat is AMAZING! Totally worth the wait. Now, I did not feel much pain or discomfort from the restraint at all. At least not enough for me to keep feeling it after the ride was over.So I guess to each their own.

How I do enjoy their water park. But I will be honest and say that it NEEDS to be bigger. There are way too many people there and not enough water slides to accommodate them. Waiting 30+ minutes for the small slides in the water playhouse is just silly.

I wouldn't be against their waterpark being completely moved after they get done relocating Park Drive and gaining that acreage where the golf course sits now. Let them make it a separate ticket even - anything at all to keep the dry side from getting any worse. Plus, that would open up that whole back area again to ride expansion within the current park.

Edited by coasterfreak101

We are going to the park in less than a month now (YAY) and I'm glad to hear they are addressing the issues with the restraints on SkyRush and both trains should be complete before our trip.

We were thinking of getting the Fast Pass thing but from what I'm gathering it's not really worth it? $50 is a bit much for a 1-ride each. We are planning on spending a full day in the park so I'm guessing we'll be able to get everything in on a Wednesday in August?

I've been to the park once (in 2005) but everybody else in my group is new to the park.

^You might have to fend off some summer camp trips and music events and who knows what else they can throw at you, but hardly any of them will take the route we've all mentioned. So stick to that (at least more or less) and you'll easily be able to do everything and enjoy your day at the park, hopefully with multiple rides on everything and then plenty on Skyrush with short lines to round out your day!

Flying Falcon did not seem to have the same ride pattern as previous years. I could have sworn when it gets to the top it stops then spins there for a few minutes and then comes back down. This time it did not do that.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It was running the usual awesome program on our trip in May, but this past Saturday it was much tamer than usual. In the past, it always started spinning fast at the top for a couple seconds before it started going down. On Saturday, it didn't get up to speed and started descending immediately.

How I do enjoy their water park. But I will be honest and say that it NEEDS to be bigger. There are way too many people there and not enough water slides to accommodate them. Waiting 30+ minutes for the small slides in the water playhouse is just silly.

I wouldn't be against their waterpark being completely moved after they get done relocating Park Drive and gaining that acreage where the golf course sits now. Let them make it a separate ticket even - anything at all to keep the dry side from getting any worse. Plus, that would open up that whole back area again to ride expansion within the current park.

Agreed about the water park. I was not a fan of that set up at all. Plus every restroom on that side of the park was like a skating rink with all the water on the floor.

^What would getting an Intamin "every four years" have to do with not getting another Intamin later? It seems the park has been pretty happy with their Intamin rides so far.

^What would getting an Intamin "every four years" have to do with not getting another Intamin later? It seems the park has been pretty happy with their Intamin rides so far.

I don't know, Skyrush seems like the last of a deal with Intamin, because Stormrunner is red, Fahrenheit is orange, and to close it off, a yellow coaster. Just my thinking.

So based on the color of the coaster, Hershey and Intamin will now no longer do business with each other? Never knew color was that meaningful. SkyRush is the third of a 3 coaster deal but I didn't realize that prohibited the companies from tackling any further projects. There are plenty of Intamin products that Hershey does not have but would compliment the park nicely.