TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

...it is a family park after all and not known for thrills as extreme as Skyrush.

I don't think Storm Runner counts as a very family-friendly ride. I wouldn't even give Fahrenheit or Great Bear credit for being appropriate in a "family park." Those rides offer some high thrills - sure, not as high as Skyrush, but that goes for any park that puts in a ride like that.

A bunch of pessimists, all of you!

I don't understand why they would even need to trim the ride. The problem is not in the ride layout!

In my opinion, a great short-term fix would be to increase the upward (clockwise?) resistance of the restraint system (make them more difficult to pull down). That seems to be the problem; even if you're not stapled in the station, the restraint isn't able to resist its own multiplied weight at the bottom of the first hill and is in turn forced downward as far as humanely possible.

I'm just a B&M and GCI fan. The first one I didn't like was Maverick, I305 and now Sky Rush. It's the quick direction changes of the first two named at high speeds.

I'm hoping since I'm a CCI/Gravity Group & Intamin fan, all of this won't be an issue for me. I love the first drop in Maverick, it's so uttterly over the top. The only problem I have with the quick transitions on Maverick is the headbanging, otherwise, bring it on

And why didn't Hershey or Intamin notice this issue in testing or understand simple physics, that this contact point would be an issue with this much downward force going on ?

Since it looks like my original question got overlooked by a debate:

I'm going to Hershey for the first time this weekend, will be there tomorrow night for a few hours and then all day Saturday. What are somethings that I must do, aside from the coasters. I'm looking to have a general all around good time. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm going to Hershey for the first time this weekend, will be there tomorrow night for a few hours and then all day Saturday. What are somethings that I must do, aside from the coasters. I'm looking to have a general all around good time. Any suggestions would be great.

I found the Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge to be a very entertaining ride. It was very fun all around. Tidal Force is another ride I enjoyed that gets you soaked! Aside from those 2 rides, I only rode coasters, but the coasters I highly recommend are Storm Runner, Lightning Racer, and the Great Bear.

You mean INSIDE the park itself? I would say just the normal stuff and other rides they have that suit your liking. Non park related, the Zoo is okay if you are into that kinda thing & Chocolate World.

Let us know your opinions on Skyrush

I rode Skyrush (S&M: The Ride) just over three weeks ago. The ride provides some CRAZY ejector airtime. It's just a shame about the extreme pressure that is put on ones thighs. This was the only thing that detracted from what was an otherwise amazing/hilarious (yes, it really did make me 'lol') experience!

I'm with A.J. in regards to the cause (and cure) of the pain issue. It's all about having a restraint system that gets tighter through the duration of the ride, much like G-Farce (deliberate misspell ) at Drayton Manor. So, hopefully Hershey will rectify this issue, thus leaving them with a coaster that is solid gold (in my opinion).

And alilstronger, I'm sure you will find (or should I say I hope you will find) some pleasure through the pain when you ride it. Enjoy!

Steve, I'm not a fan. I've ridden it 10 times in the past several weeks, and this last ride yesterday was the best. I keep riding it to try to like it. I find it rough for a ride less than a month old. I guess it boils down to the fact that I'm not a fan of the new Intamin coasters. I'm just a B&M and GCI fan. The first one I didn't like was Maverick, I305 and now Sky Rush. It's the quick direction changes of the first two named at high speeds. Don't get me wrong, I do like many other Intamin rides. I don't mind Cheetah Hunt at Busch Tampa since it's slower and not painful. I find SR more vertically rough. The outside seats are really amplified by the "springboard effect." I'm always a single rider so most of the time, I'm stuck on the outside.

I love to ride with my arms up in the air, and I rode SR that way. I normally love having my body tossed around and abused by the ride, but this one isn't enjoyable for me. I love Lightning Racer, Fahrenheit, and even Storm Runner at the park. I can do and have done 15 - 30 reps on Lightning Racer a day. I only ride the Lightning side.

That's just my opinion, I know others love it. I won't be clogging up the queue line for this one.

I'm with you on the quick change of directions on the newer Intamins (or QDCs as someone so elegantly coined it on the TPR Facebook Page awhile back). Just not a fan of them. Although, overall I really enjoyed Maverick, I could do without those transitions.

You've got a great memory. It was me that called it QDC - quick direction changes. Soft restraints on Maverick would help too (like I305).

Rode skyrush twice this week.

I have to say didnt look or feel 200 ft. The ride was pretty meh to me actually put it below meanstreak because of the pain level on the ejector hills. Just left bruises and was not fun.

On a hershey note employees were rude disrespectful and the park was ran horribly.

1 train on skyrush super dooper looper and storm runner so lines were extremely long. Dispatching trains took way to long they took there time checking restraints.

^I agree. Dispatches on Storm Runner and Skyrush took forever. I also noticed long dispatch times for Sidewinder. However, when we went to Skyrush, the wait was about 15 minutes because the line moved pretty fast. Storm Runner was, however, a 25 minute wait.

Just had preview and real deal tomorrow. My friend didn't get here til 9 so just 2 rides on Skyrush, but I have to agree it's an amazing ride- a real nice blend of fun and intensity. There were people complaining about their legs getting off, but I didn't find it to be bad at all. It got tighter throughout the ride but never became a huge distraction- I was too busy trying to comprehend how I was moving in the complete opposite direction of the train on the turns. Airtime was extreme, but also very different from anything I've felt before- I'd almost call it "bouncy" airtime as it's very extreme but not in any way sustained, just up and right back down. Great ride, can't wait to try to get more in during daylight tomorrow!

I also did SuperDooperLooper and Reese's Cup earlier. Loved new trains, same in all the good ways but more leg room. While I'm used to occasionally getting massive scores on laser rides from stacking in a final room, tonight was the first time I've stacked in EVERY SINGLE ROOM of a dark ride... I don't really know what to think.

I have to say didnt look 200 ft.

I've always loved when people say this about rides... What exactly "looks" 200 ft. in your mind?

It may be that I've ridden a lot of tall coasters, but Skyrush's lift hill certainly looks a lot shorter in person. Even when the student group had a tour in February and we got to be down on the creek bed, it certainly didn't feel like it was 200 feet tall.

I remember the first time I saw Steel Force at Dorney Park, I thought it was the tallest thing in the world. Now, I'm just like, "meh".

Gonna be at the park on Sunday (rockin' a Maverick shirt) and wanted to ask the regulars what I should expect crowd wise and line lengths?

I went a few weeks back on a Sunday. If you're there when gates open, you should be able to hit a lot of the big coasters early. We arrived at 9:20 (gates opened at 10 a.m.).

In the two hours we spent at the park that day (stayed until noon), we hit Skyrush, Great Bear (2X), Storm Runner (2X) and Fahrenheit (2X).

I can't speak to what the park was later in the day, but those first couple hours that day were mighty sweet.

Hope this helps!

It may be that I've ridden a lot of tall coasters, but Skyrush's lift hill certainly looks a lot shorter in person. Even when the student group had a tour in February and we got to be down on the creek bed, it certainly didn't feel like it was 200 feet tall.

A lot of this is an optical illusion caused by the massively thick I-beam structure of the track. If you're used to seeing normal sized track 200 feet away, the larger track will look closer.

Gonna be at the park on Sunday (rockin' a Maverick shirt) and wanted to ask the regulars what I should expect crowd wise and line lengths?

I went a few weeks back on a Sunday. If you're there when gates open, you should be able to hit a lot of the big coasters early. We arrived at 9:20 (gates opened at 10 a.m.).

In the two hours we spent at the park that day (stayed until noon), we hit Skyrush, Great Bear (2X), Storm Runner (2X) and Fahrenheit (2X).

I can't speak to what the park was later in the day, but those first couple hours that day were mighty sweet.

Hope this helps!

Thanks man! My friend and I are gonna use the Hershey Preview on Saturday night to get the two longest lines (Skyrush and Fahrenheit) done then and then ride our hearts out Sunday morning. Hoping for a decent day on Sunday, crowd wise. But I'm not holding my breath the weekend before the Fourth of July.... can't help but cross my fingers though!

Thanks man! My friend and I are gonna use the Hershey Preview on Saturday night to get the two longest lines (Skyrush and Fahrenheit) done then and then ride our hearts out Sunday morning. Hoping for a decent day on Sunday, crowd wise. But I'm not holding my breath the weekend before the Fourth of July.... can't help but cross my fingers though!

I would actually advise skipping Fahrenheit on Saturday night-- the line doesn't really die down all that much, and you should be able to ride it at least twice on Sunday morning while everyone else is still in Comet Hollow (or in church). I would recommend either Lightning Racer or Storm Runner (and, of course, Skyrush) for the preview night. And if the lines are short, hit Great Bear and Comet, as both are awesome in the dark.