TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Stopped by the park for a couple hours today to give Skyrush a try. Crowds were kind of weird. I'm used to everyone heading to Fahrenheit, then Storm Runner then spread out to the water park and the rest of the park. Everyone goes straight to Skyrush. Within the first hour and a half of the park being open, we got to ride Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, Sidewinder, Lightning Racer, Wildcat, and Wild Mouse.

Our friends wanted to go to the Zoo so we went and did that next. By 1230, we were done with the zoo and headed towards Great Bear. The queue was the longest I've ever seen it......full. I don't know what it is that HP does, but Great Bears line moves soooo slow. Skipped that and then waited a full queue for Coal Cracker (About...20-25 minutes). I noticed that Skyrush hadn't been running trains at all, or that I noticed in the last hour or so. When we got off Coal Cracker we headed towards Skyrush, which was cycling empty trains. When we got to the entrance the queue was down the stairs and we decided to get in line.

Let me just say....Skyrush is mouthwatering Intamin goodness. Possibly the strongest airtime I've ever experienced. It's up there with El Toro. Now, lets talk about these noodles. I only rode in the last outer seat, so I don't know what other seats are like, but these things are PAINFUL. Every person getting off the ride was complaining about it. Now, I understand that the ride is new, maybe they didn't know how awesome the airtime would be, or it was just a big giant fail, but whatever happened.....they suck. By the end of the ride I was trying to push my self further down into the seat because these suckers hurt so much. Bottom line, the noodles sucks, but the awesomeness of the everything else on this sucker will make you want to ride over and over.

Now, lets talk about these lap-bars. I only rode in the last outer seat, so I don't know what other seats are like, but these things are PAINFUL. Every person getting off the ride was complaining about it. Now, I understand that the ride is new, maybe they didn't know how awesome the airtime would be, or it was just a big giant fail, but whatever happened.....they suck. By the end of the ride I was trying to push my self further down into the seat because these suckers hurt so much. Bottom line, the lap-bars suck, but the awesomeness of the everything else on this sucker will make you want to ride over and over.

This sentiment has been appearing in TRs everywhere at a pretty good clip. Because of that, (and especially the bolded), a trip to Hershey this summer went from uncertain to very certain. I don't want to watch them tinker with it over the winter like Kings Dominion did with their Intimidator- it sounds like the pinnacle of steel coasters as it currently stands.

I feel like the complaints about Skyrush are the same opinions that follow Intamin's newer generic OTSRs; that it staples further as you ride and it painfully crushes your thighs...I think the restraints themselves are a good idea to accommodate larger guests, and I don't mind the hydraulic locking mechanism, but they are focusing on just the upper thighs, whereas I think the idea of holding the entirety of the legs down is a better option, i.e. B&M hypers. I personally think the clamshells are the exactly perfect shape for a coaster restraint. Rather than leaning toward minimalistic design, they form around the body and create more contact points, which reduces individual pressure points. I think Intamin needs to go in that direction; being a skinny person, I get hurt with any type of Intamin restraint because I have no natural cushioning... I'm riding on Thursday so I'll form opinions then

Do you think it'd be possible for the lap bar to rotate, like you could push it forward (just the bar part) so it'd become even with your legs?

I don't believe so; I think that the steel portion of the lap restraint and the grab handles are all one piece with the padding built around them.

Because of that, (and especially the bolded), a trip to Hershey this summer went from uncertain to very certain. I don't want to watch them tinker with it over the winter like Kings Dominion did with their Intimidator- it sounds like the pinnacle of steel coasters as it currently stands.

If I remember correctly, it was mentioned a little earlier in the thread that Hersheypark has no intention of slowing the ride down and will only be focusing on modifications to the restraint system.

coasterlover420 said

I feel like the complaints about Skyrush are the same opinions that follow Intamin's newer generic OTSRs; that it staples further as you ride and it painfully crushes your thighs...I think the noodles themselves are a good idea to accommodate larger guests, and I don't mind the hydraulic locking mechanism, but they are focusing on just the upper thighs, whereas I think the idea of holding the entirety of the legs down is a better option, i.e. B&M hypers. I personally think the clamshells are the exactly perfect shape for a coaster restraint. Rather than leaning toward minimalistic design, they form around the body and create more contact points, which reduces individual pressure points. I think Intamin needs to go in that direction; being a skinny person, I get hurt with any type of Intamin restraint because I have no natural cushioning...

I have to agree with you on that aspect. I rode in the back seat and I thought I was on a torture device. Now I have big thighs and I can handle some discomfort, but all those airtimes coming over the hills brought pain after more pain into my thighs. And I rode many airtime coasters that uses the lap bars (such as Six Flags America's Superman Ride of Steel) and I never had a problem like that before. The only part I liked about Skyrush was when it was over!

So for me to ever ride Skyrush (or perhaps I should call it "Thighbust!") again, Hersheypark should either slow the ride down, do some reconfiguration to the track, or (I think this is the best idea) change the restraints! Until then, I'll just stay on the Merry Derry Dip.

"I've got a better idea: why not ride me? I won't hurt your thighs nor any other body part."

If you guys haven't heard yet from on the Project 2012 page, the spin bins are slowly being replaced with regular bag-drops. The way they are laid out are that there are a series of compartments on the top of the drops and the front (facing the trains), have two large spaces for bookbags and large items. Right now only the first and second rows have them.

Good to hear. The spin bins were part of the problem. Great idea, but when they aren't working terrible in practice. They really were slowing people down, as most rows had to spin the bin themselves, with larger items getting stuck and causing even more delays. Glad to see that they're starting to make small improvements where they can for now!

^Same! And I'm so glad they're going the route of actually addressing the lap bars themselves rather than interfering with some other aspect of the ride.

Too bad about the spin bins. I thought that sounded pretty clever. I always liked how Hershey has straightforward signs and locations for loose articles.

When HP found out about the Skyrush complaints, I did fear that they would do something like trim the ride, or add OTSNs to it. I am really glad, as many have said, that they are doing this. And, with the removal of some of the spin bins, it is clear HP does care about the ride experience and enthusiest view.

Now, all they need to do is get the crews on all rides to get the lines moving!

Is Intamin gonna make the same mods to LL:DOD's noodles?

I can't see it being an issue on that ride, and it hasn't even opened yet. Skyrush's forces seem to be what causes the stapling, and DOD won't have forces like that. Of course the ride op can always staple you in, but I say that's you're own fault! I imagine those noodles (why do I feel so dumb saying that) would make DOD even more thrilling in the end compared to the OTSRs on other drop towers.