TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Adavis, to clear up your post regarding the EMS at Skyrush. Yes, EMS was called because a female felt light headed while waiting in the queue. She did not ride Skyrush, and the EMS was there for a total of 5 minutes and have not returned. The ride is operating fine, and provides an amazing airtime experience. We have seen Hershey executives in the station observing the riders getting off, so they are keeping a close eye on the rider experience.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. I'm very glad to have confirmation that what I assumed was hogwash actually was in fact a load of crap.

And a big, giant, steaming load at that!

Just out of morbid curiosity could you post the link where this comment was posted? I may want to have some 'fun' with it later.

Play nice. It's on the coastercritic.com, and he's a member here, and a hell of a nice guy. An aside, it was a commenter that said it, not him.

Had a great day at the park today. Everything had short line and some were walk-on. Skyrush is an insane ride, Hershey definitely has themselves a winner! You can get two slightly different experiences depending on which seat you pick. The middle is more of a traditional coaster experience, and the outsides are a lot wilder and out of control. Every seat, though has an incredible open feel. They both give insane experiences, but I'd say I prefer the middle slightly more (only very slightly). I'm one that likes to just go-with-the-flow on rides, if you will, rather than fighting them, Voyage-style. Either way, that train absolutely hauls during every point in the layout, from the lift hill that you go FLYING over, to the airtime hills, to the final quick turn at the end...it just never lets up, much like I305 (or a mini-I305 as many have said, which is definitely the most accurate way to describe this). Best of all, NO TRIMS OF ANY KIND! Wooo!

I really didn't see any problem with my "thighs hurting." Sure the airtime was intense, but it's similar to what is found on I305, El Toro, and Maverick. You come back to the station a little stapled, but no more than you do on Maverick.

The only complaints I have with this are not with the coaster itself, but with little nit-picky things on how loading is managed and how the station was designed.

-Skyrush needs a single rider line, or at least better seating management from the ops. Each and every train had about 5-6 empty seats (sometimes more, and sometimes two together)...even in the morning when the queue was full.

-People seem to get more confused by the rotating bins than they actually help. Hopefully it's just a learning curve and the process will be mastered over time.

-The fact that people exit the same side they enter really slows things down. The crew has to wait until everyone has gotten their belongings and left the area to open the air gates for the next people to board the train (and of course you always have the people who fool around and don't move swiftly).

Again, this ride just opened, so hopefully bugs and kinks will be worked out eventually...these are just a few things that irked me a bit (albeit nit-picky). This ride is definitely in my top-5! Get out there and ride Skyrush people!

I also found this a bit odd today, and maybe someone can answer this for me. Every single coaster had one, two, or a few of its middle rows chained off, but they were still loading those seats. Why?

Does anyone know if the SooperDooperLooper is running more reliably now. When I was there on 5/26 they were having some major issues.

SDL ran one train all day today. I saw mechanics looking at the other one in the morning, but I never saw them again after that.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

Does anyone know if the SooperDooperLooper is running more reliably now. When I was there on 5/26 they were having some major issues.

Well it did just get two brand new trains and a new braking system so some things may need adjusting.

The combination of no shoulder restraint and over-zealous employees is yielding injuries galore.

Hrm... I think this would just place the pain somewhere else - the tender shoulder/collar bone area. I had bruising and pain from I-305, Maverick, and Fahrenheit from their obnoxious shoulder restraints (yes, I rode I-305 with the new backpack-like soft restraints. The result is a displacement of comfort; you get held DOWN and BACK, as well).

Shoulder restraints have NEVER been the solution for a coaster... I think a "part of the solution" compromise would be to add a large amount of super-padding to the lap bar.

The combination of no shoulder restraint and over-zealous employees is yielding injuries galore.

Hrm... I think this would just place the pain somewhere else - the tender shoulder/collar bone area. I had bruising and pain from I-305, Maverick, and Fahrenheit from their obnoxious shoulder noodles (yes, I rode I-305 with the new backpack-like soft noodles. The result is a displacement of comfort; you get held DOWN and BACK, as well).

Shoulder noodles have NEVER been the solution for a coaster... I think a "part of the solution" compromise would be to add a large amount of super-padding to the lap bar.

In my defense, I never said that.

Hrm... I think this would just place the pain somewhere else - the tender shoulder/collar bone area. I had bruising and pain from I-305, Maverick, and Fahrenheit from their obnoxious shoulder noodles (yes, I rode I-305 with the new backpack-like soft noodles. The result is a displacement of comfort; you get held DOWN and BACK, as well).

Shoulder noodles have NEVER been the solution for a coaster... I think a "part of the solution" compromise would be to add a large amount of super-padding to the lap bar.

In my defense, I never said that.

No defense needed my friend I think I just hit the "quote" button a couple pages back.

-Skyrush needs a single rider line, or at least better seating management from the ops. Each and every train had about 5-6 empty seats (sometimes more, and sometimes two together)...even in the morning when the queue was full.

-People seem to get more confused by the rotating bins than they actually help. Hopefully it's just a learning curve and the process will be mastered over time.

-The fact that people exit the same side they enter really slows things down. The crew has to wait until everyone has gotten their belongings and left the area to open the air gates for the next people to board the train (and of course you always have the people who fool around and don't move swiftly).

I also found this a bit odd today, and maybe someone can answer this for me. Every single coaster had one, two, or a few of its middle rows chained off, but they were still loading those seats. Why?

The rotating bins are great in theory, but terrible in practice. Half of them don't spin automatically, and people have no clue which color to put their stuff in. As a result, they end up slowing loading even more than the poor station design already does. Seriously, if the air gates don't even open until the other train is already rounding the turn over Comet's station, you have a real problem.

Once people were in their seats, the ride ops were usually pretty efficient. Essentially, they were getting trains out as quick as any other ride in the park. Now, that isn't saying much for a place where a 12-seat coaster double-stacks, but you figure if they can work out the station design problems, they can easily pump trains through Intimidator-style.

Also, those rows are chained off for the Fast Track guests, I believe. It's completely obnoxious to rope off entire cars, when you could just hold guests back if a group walks up the exit. I get that guests might get mad that way, but it slowed down operations everywhere.

It was running one train consistently all day, which gave it a line down the stairs and almost outside in the afternoon. The new trains are very smooth though, hopefully they get them both running sooner than later!

I made my first trip to Hershey on Saturday and had a great time. Got to ride all the coasters except for Sidewinder and the Wild Mouse. Average wait for the rides were about 30-40 minutes, minus the hour and 40 min wait for Fahrenheit. Rode Storm Runner, Skyrush, and Lightning Racer twice since those 3 were my favorite at the park.

I won't go into to much detail about Skyrush since most of it has been covered. But if you want a more traditional coaster ride, sit in the middle seats. The winged seats really turn the ride into an out of control experience. I sat on the left wing seat for my last ride of the night, and it was a wild experience. It felt like my body was all over the seat trying not to fall out The mix of strong airtime followed by getting pulled down into a turn really felt like I was trying to get yanked out of the seat. The twisty airtime hill, my body kept wanting to go up, but the ride wanted me to get pulled down for the twist

I don't remember reading anything about this, but there's a bump in the middle of the first hill. It's noticeable in the POV how the camera jerks. Guess it was intended to make you eject out of your seat even more?

The jerk in the first drop is what makes it the best one out there, I think. Riding in the back, that drop is absolutely insane. It's almost El Toro quality for the first part, and then that extra jerk comes and it becomes the craziest thing that's ever happened to me like, ever. Way to go Intamin!

Rode Skyrush for the first time yesterday...got to the gates 40 minutes before opening, beat feet to the ride once gates opened and waited less than five minutes to get on.

Was situated somewhere in the middle of the coaster and had a right wing seat.

I can't add to anything that's already been said, but the airtime is absolutely unreal, and my butt spent more time out of my seat than in it. Like many others, I hated the boarding setup, but I had no issues with the lap bar. Granted, I only rode it once, but I felt no pain/discomfort afterwards.

The lift is spectacular, and you are practically whipped over that first hill.

Was on a tight time schedule and only had two hours to kill yesterday, but right after Skyrush, we hit Great Bear (no line) twice, Storm Runner (5-10 minute wait) twice, Fahrenheit (no line) twice and the Claw (moderate line), and still got out of there before noon.

It was running one train consistently all day, which gave it a line down the stairs and almost outside in the afternoon. The new trains are very smooth though, hopefully they get them both running sooner than later!

Thanks for the info. Looks like with the magnetic braking there isn't that sudden jerk-to-stop at the end anymore. Good to hear the trains are smooth. I have 2 young girls that love that ride, and that is the one THEY care about, since they aren't big enough to get on Skyrush. SDL is a great starter coaster for young kids. Hershey has a good balance for young and old alike.

^I have to completely disagree. Sure, the space you stop in on SDL is short, but the way in which you stop now is much more fluid. I can ride it now without bracing myself coming up out of the final helix.

Regardless, the rest of the ride is running outstandingly. Each turn just feels so much smoother, the mid-course brakes out of the tunnel are less jarring as well, and I don't think I was ever thrown to the side. Great ride before, even better now!

^I have to completely disagree. Sure, the space you stop in on SDL is short, but the way in which you stop now is much more fluid. I can ride it now without bracing myself coming up out of the final helix.

Regardless, the rest of the ride is running outstandingly. Each turn just feels so much smoother, the mid-course brakes out of the tunnel are less jarring as well, and I don't think I was ever thrown to the side. Great ride before, even better now!

The new trains also seem to have much more knee room. Back when I rode in 2004, the knee cushions were very close and obviously well used. Between the roomier trains and smoother stop, there didn't seem to be much need for the pads.

1480672770_Hershey04092(Custom).jpg.db79889d5ebffd2746d6d2f6b9f4ccc1.jpg

SDL was running one train today. Line wasn't too bad- chewed through it in about 15 minutes. Looks very nice and spiffy, and the brakes are much smoother and fluid.

Skyrush was freakin amazing, and one of my new favorites. The second hill was one of the most insane moments of airtime I've ever experienced. But since everyone is probably sick of all the good things, I'll say the negative. Obviously, the lap-bar crushed my thighs. When we sitting on the brakes waiting to unload, I began to lose feeling in my legs. The outer seats seemed tighter and more painful. Queue will overflow very quickly on a Saturday in summer. Line was full today and it only took 30 minutes to get to the loading. Also, dispatches were pretty slow, with a train sent out every 3-5 minutes. The single side load/unload doesn't help either.

Everything in the park ran great, though. Storm Runner could use some paint, but Hershey is looking as good as every. Two thumbs up for Skyrush!

After going yesterday, I figured I would add my two cents about Skyrush, and the rest of the park. We got there about 20 minutes after opening, and went straight to Skyrush, by way of the new path (which has magnificent views, by the way). The line was already completely full, and even despite pretty terrible operations, we got to the last row in about 45 minutes. I got the right wing seat in the last row; the ride op didn't staple at all, which pleased me. The ride blew my mind; the lift hill is scary fast - even faster on-ride than off-ride - the drop in the back has ridiculous air, as do all the airtime hills. The high-speed turns are fast and intense, the Stengel-ish dive throws you around in a really fun way, and everything is really smooth. I felt no pain during any moments of airtime, and I didn't realize that I was stapled until the reduction brakes, and then I had plenty of time on the brake run to wish I had circulation back in my legs. It really is a magnificent ride.

There isn't too much to add about the rest of the park. I don't remember the old SDL trains, but the new ones are comfy and roomy and make for a great ride, and the new magnetic brakes stop you really quickly without being uncomfortable like the old ones. Great improvement, even if only one train was running. What's not so great is the new fastpass/ single rider/ whatever the hell they are doing policy on all the rides. A row or two of the middle of each train on every coaster is blocked off, but I didn't see any fastpass holders get in. People would just slip into the chained-off rows when the airgates would open, and then ops would call out for groups of 2 or 4 to fill the rows. It's a pretty bad policy, whatever it may be, and I hope they improve it.

The sky opened up for 20 minutes around 4, which cleared up crowds even more; we passed the time with some Cold Stone; it was pretty strange seeing blue sky with thunder and lightning at your back.

Our last ride of the day was Skyrush, and this time I tried the left inside seat in the last row. There was an employee at the station trying to assign seats, but we were so vocal about the last row that she just let us go there . This time the ride was... different. The airtime on the first drop had more of an "Oh god I'm gonna die" element. And this time, I felt the pain on the hills. It was still a great ride, but less so than the first one. My girlfriend pointed out to me that ride 1 was on Train 2, and ride 2 was on Train 1. Many more tests will need to be conducted, but my current hypothesis is that the left side is more painful than the right side.

All in all, it was a great day!

Edited by UrbanLegend

Many more tests will need to be conducted, but my current hypothesis is that the left side is more painful than the left side.

Your hypothesis is very, very interesting...I can't quite figure out what it means!

^^Neither side is more painful. You rode it later in the day, after it had time to speed up and get even crazier. Our last rides at 9pm last night you might consider excruciating while our first ride in the morning was painless, but I'm not complaining about either - I really don't think it hurt but only for a second at a time, and those seconds were well worth it!

If anyone's interested, lots of Hershey and Skyrush pictures over here (shameless plug):

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1188814#p1188814

Just a few, but plenty more after the jump!

DSCN2542.thumb.JPG.4948790e09e07d709435382953eca7b8.JPG

DSCN2556.thumb.JPG.5296c7dbdc709ced46949e27647131d5.JPG

DSCN2559.thumb.JPG.390e1c7dd47547dabe46759722d03481.JPG

Edited by coasterfreak101

Many more tests will need to be conducted, but my current hypothesis is that the left side is more painful than the left side.

Your hypothesis is very, very interesting...I can't quite figure out what it means!

That awkward moment when you space out in the middle of writing a sentence Fixed!

Also, I don't want to seem like I was complaining, just pointing out that it kinda hurt at the tops of hills (and only at the tops of hills; the rest was fine). I'll just have to ride it some more to soften up the restrain'ts!

I'll chime in too.

I just rode Skyrush today. Going down the first hill, it tries to kill you, then you turn, then it tries to kill you again. Repeat a few more times and that's the ride. It's the most amazing, insane ride I've ever experienced. I even have a nice bruise on my thigh. Beast at KI was my #1 for most insane coaster, now Skyrush gets that title.

I would not be surprised at all to see this ride take Bizarro's place as #1 steel coaster.

It's funny, I bruise ridiculously easy and I managed not to pick up a single blemish from Skyrush.

For example, this is what Boulder Dash did to me last summer after a few rides...

267213_2269124324756_1148024498_4467260_1593096_n.jpg

Skyrush....absolutely nothing. Sure it was tight but no bruises or marks. Just insane, awesome rides!