TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I got 3 rides in on opening day. First ride in the front row center/left seat. That took about 3 hours wait time. Another ride in the back row left wing seat (15 min wait). Last time in the 5th row center/right (30 min wait). This ride has the most insane airtime I have felt next to El Toro. The back row was the best ejector airtime in my opinion. I can usually keep my arms up through an entire ride, but this one had me grabbing the bars. The lift speed is fast, and gives you a good sling-shot over the top. I really hope they keep it running they way it is currently. The first drop and transition into the first airtime hill is one of the best first drops I've been on. The fountains in the water below are a nice touch.

I agree with the complaints about the station layout and the rotating bins. Give Hershey some time and they will figure it out. There are always issues with new rides.

My friend and I left the park after our first Skyrush ride to go to the Parkside and grab some fried food and a pitcher of beer. When we got back, there was hardly any line in the que. We might have waited 15 minutes for a back row seat. Maybe getting in line as soon as the park opened wasn't the best game plan for getting on this ride.

Robb, will TPR have a meet up for the Hershey locals to join in on this years hotness trip to Hershey? Lady Gaga's uglier, younger brother sure hopes so . This one should be on your must ride list this year.

Would it be a *fair* trade off to back off the -G's just a *hair* and then supply a little more room in the seats to move up and down?

So you want to neuter the coaster for comfort?

I wouldn't exactly say it that way... But I will say that I would MUCH rather have the type of airtime on Cyclops where I can still enjoy comfort and the "I'm gonna fly out" thrill over the "my eyes are going to rip out of the top of my head" - while being stapled, feeling.

How is Hershey's skip the line system? Similar to Fast Lane at Cedar Fair parks? I might go on Saturday, so I'll probably need it.

Also, can anyone tell me where the nearest Giant is? I'd hate to pay full price at the gate when I can just get a ticket there.

Fast Lane Pass allows you to ride each ride once (except Farenheight and Skyrush) at a pre-determined time.

The closest Giant is at the intersection of Cocoa Ave and FIshburn Road, about three miles from the park. You can also get $12 off coupons at the Dunkin Donuts near the Red Robin that is across from the park.

You can also get discounted tickets at hersheypark.com by using the following coupon codes:

16075 - $14 off each ticket in May

16076 - $12 off each ticket in June

16077 - $10 off each ticket in July

16078 - $8 off each ticket in August or September

The tickets at Giant also give you free parking right now. That's somewhere around $13 this season, I believe.

So I'll be heading back to Hershey on Sunday, and I'll be going with my girlfriend and two friends. I figured that despite the new hotness, it's still best to hit up Fahrenheit first thing in the morning, then head over to Skyrush. Still a good strategy? Also, for my GP friends' benefit, what's the best way to ride Skyrush defensively? Or should we just go with the flow and worry about your legs on the brake run?

Just take it as it is and don't ride defensively. I was having too much fun to notice. I even put my hands up going over the unbanked airtime hill next to Comet (something I don't usually do). It was amazing.

Didn't the park close early for bad weather last weekend some time? Our weather was pretty craptastic at times, that may have had something to do with Fahrenheit's line being so short.

Would it be a *fair* trade off to back off the -G's just a *hair* and then supply a little more room in the seats to move up and down?

So you want to neuter the coaster for comfort?

I wouldn't exactly say it that way... But I will say that I would MUCH rather have the type of airtime on Cyclops where I can still enjoy comfort and the "I'm gonna fly out" thrill over the "my eyes are going to rip out of the top of my head" - while being stapled, feeling.

But that's not the type of coaster Skyrush is. It's a balls to the wall thrill ride, that has intense forces. Not every ride is going to be suited to your personal tastes. I'm happy to finally have a ride like this in the US!

Next week is the last week of school for most districts in our area so it may depend. There are a good many schools that travel to Hershey for class trips and stuff. I always avoid the park on Monday and Friday. Tuesday through Thursday are typically decent. Just keep in mind that Fahrenheit will nearly always have at least a 45 minute wait. The line is painful to stand in at times (no shade and no misters). I usually have decent luck by hitting that first then going back to Lightning Racer and coming back toward the front and over toward Storm Runner and Trailblazer. Now with SkyRush that may have to change. I can typically hit all the coasters midweek and be out of the park before dinner time (say 4:30/5:00).

After ride number 8 (a front-seat, right wing, pitch-black, wind-whipped blur), I can safely say that Skyrush is now my official #2 coaster, beating out El Toro just by a hair. The airtime isn't quite as good in the front, but the drop and view completely make up for it. For anyone who hasn't ridden at night or in the front yet (better; both), DO IT!

For Skyrush, I find that people head straight for it earlier in the day and the lines dramatically die down in the late afternoon into the evening. As for Fahrenheit, the shortest line is about an hour or so before the park closes. When I was there the other day, it was an hour left until closing and the line was only down the stairs to the station.

I just read this ridiculous statement in the comments on another coaster sites Skyrush post, can anyone local verify these-to me-out there statements? To clarify, these are not my thoughts, and I find them VERY hard to believe.

We just went today. This coaster is terrible and we LOVE coasters. If it had different restraints, it would be AMAZING. However, we personally watched 2 people get wheeled away with EMS within a 30 minute period and now I have perfect lap-bar bruises across my legs already, within hours. The combination of no shoulder restraint and over-zealous employees is yielding injuries galore. And to the Aric saying that it is ridiculous that it is even being suggested that there are injuries… there are. Don’t be stupid. Like I said, we personally watched it happen. We even came back later in the day and EMS was still there. If EMS has to hang out by the ride, there is a problem.

I just read this ridiculous statement in the comments on another coaster sites Skyrush post, can anyone local verify these-to me-out there statements? To clarify, these are not my thoughts, and I find them VERY hard to believe.

We just went today. This coaster is terrible and we LOVE coasters. If it had different noodles, it would be AMAZING. However, we personally watched 2 people get wheeled away with EMS within a 30 minute period and now I have perfect lap-bar bruises across my legs already, within hours. The combination of no shoulder restraint and over-zealous employees is yielding injuries galore. And to the Aric saying that it is ridiculous that it is even being suggested that there are injuries… there are. Don’t be stupid. Like I said, we personally watched it happen. We even came back later in the day and EMS was still there. If EMS has to hang out by the ride, there is a problem.

It could be that this person is a moron and if the ems really was there it may have been for something completely different. Did this person actually see these people get wheeled from that ride? Maybe these people had pre existing health issues....who knows?

We just went today. This coaster is terrible and we LOVE coasters. If it had different noodles, it would be AMAZING. However, we personally watched 2 people get wheeled away with EMS within a 30 minute period and now I have perfect lap-bar bruises across my legs already, within hours. The combination of no shoulder restraint and over-zealous employees is yielding injuries galore. And to the Aric saying that it is ridiculous that it is even being suggested that there are injuries… there are. Don’t be stupid. Like I said, we personally watched it happen. We even came back later in the day and EMS was still there. If EMS has to hang out by the ride, there is a problem.

And you have proof that these people were wheeled away for the reason you state? Of course you don't.

I call shenanigans. I essentially have bones and paper skin, and while I did complain a bit when sitting on the brake run, I did NOT have any bruises whatsoever (I don't have any now either) and I was riding Wildcat and Lightning Racer within about twenty minutes after I did Skyrush.

Like I said, my ride would have been -more comfortable- if I hadn't been stapled in the station, but I do not have any injuries at all. I would have ridden it again (and again and again) if the queue hadn't been so long last Saturday.

And you have proof that these people were wheeled away for the reason you state? Of course you don't.

As mentioned, these are not my thoughts, I just found them ridiculous and wondered if anyone local had heard of such a thing.

Adavis, to clear up your post regarding the EMS at Skyrush. Yes, EMS was called because a female felt light headed while waiting in the queue. She did not ride Skyrush, and the EMS was there for a total of 5 minutes and have not returned. The ride is operating fine, and provides an amazing airtime experience. We have seen Hershey executives in the station observing the riders getting off, so they are keeping a close eye on the rider experience.

To all the Hershey locals and regular visitors....

I've experienced some of the worst lines ever visiting Hersheypark over the years on weekends, especially Saturdays. Two years ago we went in late June during a mid week day and it wasn't much better. We are going this year on Wednesday June 27. I think two years ago there was a big concert the day we went. Does anyone know if this day would be a normal slower weekday, or should we expect the worst. Also, does Hershey still do the the night before free entry thing when you buy a ticket?

Ted

To all the Hershey locals and regular visitors....

I've experienced some of the worst lines ever visiting Hersheypark over the years on weekends, especially Saturdays. Two years ago we went in late June during a mid week day and it wasn't much better. We are going this year on Wednesday June 27. I think two years ago there was a big concert the day we went. Does anyone know if this day would be a normal slower weekday, or should we expect the worst. Also, does Hershey still do the the night before free entry thing when you buy a ticket?

Ted

Saturdays are the busiest days of the week, but close second can be Fridays when school is in session. Certain holidays aren't too bad. I know it wasn't bad on Labor Day last year. It's best to go earlier or middle in the week.

The park does offer a program called the Preview plan. How this works is that you purchase your ticket for the next day at the park around 3 to 4 hours before closing and you can spend the rest of the evening in the park for free.

Preview Plan

Purchase a regular full-day admission ticket for tomorrow, 2-1/2* hours prior to Park closing, and be our guest FREE for the remainder of that evening. (*3-1/2 hours for 11 pm closing)

-6 PM Closing

Admission after 3:30 PM

-8 PM Closing

Admission after 5:30 PM

-10 & 11 PM Closing

Admission after 7:30 PM

A SWEET way to maximize your visit. All single or multi-day tickets (including online, group, Giant, AAA, etc) qualify for this plan! Just present your ticket at the gate after 7:30 PM and enjoy all of the rides and shows all night long! (Not valid on Sunset, Consecutive Day or Concert Special Admission)

http://www.hersheypark.com/tickets/index.php

Adavis, to clear up your post regarding the EMS at Skyrush. Yes, EMS was called because a female felt light headed while waiting in the queue. She did not ride Skyrush, and the EMS was there for a total of 5 minutes and have not returned. The ride is operating fine, and provides an amazing airtime experience. We have seen Hershey executives in the station observing the riders getting off, so they are keeping a close eye on the rider experience.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. I'm very glad to have confirmation that what I assumed was hogwash actually was in fact a load of crap.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. I'm very glad to have confirmation that what I assumed was hogwash actually was in fact a load of crap.

And a big, giant, steaming load at that!

Just out of morbid curiosity could you post the link where this comment was posted? I may want to have some 'fun' with it later.