TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

The only real, actual complaint I have about Skyrush is the station design, which could be one of the worst I've ever seen. What crazy drunken Swiss lunatic thought it would be a good idea to load and unload on the same side of the station? Was there absolutely no way to unload on the other side? It absolutely MURDERS dispatch times, and at a park that already struggles mightily with capacity, that's pretty bad.

Interesting about the station loading. You can understand it for the rides where you have to have this, like X2, Wild Eagle, X Flight, etc. But its not like the trains were designed where you couldn't easily cross all four seats.

Anyways, looks like a minor mistake in what otherwise appears to be a masterpiece of a ride!

I have to imagine that the decision to load all on one side comes from the ride breaking away from the structure of Comet only enough to house the station and the transfer track right next to it. Stairs leaving the station from the Comet side wouldn't be able to leave from the back side because of the transfer switch being in the way, and stairs leaving from the front side might run into a problem running around the switchbacks, between the lift and Comet's return run, and meeting up with the main path without interfering with SDL's turn into the final brakes. It's a really tight area they squeezed this ride into, so one-side loading/unloading might've been the most plausible thing to do.

That's not to say that the decision doesn't blow and royally screw over capacity.

Guys, we really should stop arguing about the coaster and go back to discussing the fact that they're still showing Piers' Karaoke video from last year!!! AMAZING!!!!

That really is the most amazing thing! I still remember the huge crowd that stopped to watch it when they first showed it. I've never seen a group that big before for a karaoke video. Still my absolutely favorite music video! (Number two is another "TPR" related video, Leslie Hall Tight Pants!)

Guys, we really should stop arguing about the coaster and go back to discussing the fact that they're still showing Piers' Karaoke video from last year!!! AMAZING!!!!

Thanks for reminding me why I love this site so much

I have to imagine that the decision to load all on one side comes from the ride breaking away from the structure of Comet only enough to house the station and the transfer track right next to it. Stairs leaving the station from the Comet side wouldn't be able to leave from the back side because of the transfer switch being in the way, and stairs leaving from the front side might run into a problem running around the switchbacks, between the lift and Comet's return run, and meeting up with the main path without interfering with SDL's turn into the final brakes. It's a really tight area they squeezed this ride into, so one-side loading/unloading might've been the most plausible thing to do.

That's not to say that the decision doesn't blow and royally screw over capacity.

They worked with the space they could.

Ideally, they could have lengthened the station for separate load and unload spot if they had done a sloped brake run on the other side of the Comet. But for whatever the reason, they kept the clearance of the track over the station roof substantial and the drop into the final brakes is bigger in person than it appears in pictures, so I assume the final brakes had to be lengthy enough to accommodate that drop and still stop the train comfortably.

Oh, for crying out loud, it's not that bad.

All the other rides in the park never open the station gates until everyone gets off the train and clears off the platform anyway! I don't see a problem here!

I used to think that people that complained about the roughness of Arrow Loopers back in the day were just kinda soft, I guess Intamin Hypers are the new Arrow Loopers .

Airtime is to extreme? Give me a break. What's next, Intamin pre-fabs are too smooth and don't count as real wooden coasters? Oh wait.......

Oh, for crying out loud, it's not that bad.

All the other rides in the park never open the station gates until everyone gets off the train and clears off the platform anyway! I don't see a problem here!

When the previous train is parked LONG before the gates are opened for the next guests to board the train, that's a HUGE problem. When dispatches average over four minutes (and they did), that's a HUGE problem. I know you would rather cut your hair off than say something even remotely negative about HP, but there's absolutely nothing positive about their operations or efficiency on that ride (or any other ride for that matter).

^While I am getting kind of sick of the complaining that's been going on in this thread, I will agree with you on the terrible state of HP operations this weekend. It would be understandable if it was just limited to SkyRush, but unfortunately it was on all of the rides. It's like nobody told HP operations that they should value efficiency or be friendly to their guests.

Not only were they slow, but they were also rude, which is a huge negative for me personally.

A couple of examples:

We were waiting to board Storm Runner, and they weren't dispatching. The operator on the platform was YELLING up to the op in the control booth about how she was tired of checking restraints and didn't want to do it anymore. Seriously, bringing the entire line to a complete stop because you're tired of checking restraints and making a scene about it in front of guests? Rude, and totally acceptable at Hershey.

Waiting to board Xtreme Cup Challenge for about 20 minutes. When we finally get to the front of the line, the grouper is leaning over her height stick, and loudly says to the operator "Fuck, I hate being on load, it's so boring!!". Again, the priority of the Herhseypark staff member is to loudly complain about their job in front of guests, rather than keep the line moving. Also, swearing in front of guests on a family attraction? Really classy, and totally acceptable at Herhsey.

5-6 minute dispatch times on Comet? The thing has buzz bars. Nuff Said.

I don't want to write a whole novel complaining about Hershey ops, because I really do love that park. It's just unfortunate that there seems to be a culture where slow and rude is the norm.

It's interesting to hear how bad they are. Last year, I know that during ECB it was reported by one of the attendees to Laura (head of ride operations, if I remember correctly), who went straight to the employee. She really cared about making sure that her operators were on their game and that Hershey was providing a quality experience. I've seen her in plenty of pictures this season the park has posted of Skyrush, so she's still there - maybe it'll just take a few weeks for her to kick some people into gear. Hopefully, at least.

Laura is still there and did take "charge" at Skyrush over the past weekend bringing capacity from 600 to over 1k/hr with her hands on approach. I am sure she'll get things on track (pun intended) in short order.

It's interesting to hear how bad they are. Last year, I know that during ECB it was reported by one of the attendees to Laura (head of ride operations, if I remember correctly), who went straight to the employee. She really cared about making sure that her operators were on their game and that Hershey was providing a quality experience. I've seen her in plenty of pictures this season the park has posted of Skyrush, so she's still there - maybe it'll just take a few weeks for her to kick some people into gear. Hopefully, at least.

Yeah, I reported one of the Storm Runner operators that was sitting on a stool with her feet up on the control panel near the E-stop while the ride was operating. Here's one of the pictures....

267258_526476555704_110300559_30459267_4658690_n.jpg

But would you believe me if I told you that not only was she not fired (she was apparently given a "three day vacation"), she is still employed by the park this year!!! We saw her at Fahrenheit, and she was still exuding about the same enthusiasm level as she was that day last year. And we wonder why the operations are worse than most SF parks.

Yeah, I reported one of the Storm Runner operators that was sitting on a stool with her feet up on the control panel near the E-stop while the ride was operating. Here's one of the pictures....

267258_526476555704_110300559_30459267_4658690_n.jpg

But would you believe me if I told you that not only was she not fired (she was apparently given a "three day vacation"), she is still employed by the park this year!!! We saw her at Fahrenheit, and she was still exuding about the same enthusiasm level as she was that day last year. And we wonder why the operations are worse than most SF parks.

I'm pretty sure she was on Stormrunner yesterday. She would chat with her partner on the platform over an empty train. delaying loading by at least a minute. I know it's freaking Stormrunner on a hot day when most people were at the Boardwalk, and where one train won't disembark until the other has made it back into the station and is parked, but it is Stormrunner, where the entire ride is roughly a minute.

Are people REALLY complaining that there is too much airtime?

Seriously, people, if too much airtime is really upsetting you, please, please, PLEASE find a new hobby!

--Robb "Like take up knitting or birdwatching or something..." Alvey

From going through the many posts here on the forum, I didn't see many complaints(or if any) about airtime, it was more about the restraints. I rode Sky Rush today. Loved the ride. I love intense rollercoasters. I have ridden many in my lifetime and plan to ride many more. The fact of the matter is the restraints hold you in by your thighs. It gets tighter and tighter as the ride goes on. And yes, that hurts. It hurts anyone's thighs. Incredible ride no doubt, but it does hurt. I have ridden the Voyage in Holiday World, and I thought that was painful, coming off with bruises on my legs. Sky Rush takes the #1 for painful coaster that I have ridden. And yes I will ride again.

They are really only complaining about the restraints not the airtime. I think the only way you could get enthusiasts not to complain about a coasters restraints is if they where literally lazy boy recliners with pillows for lap bars. Sometimes bad or painful restraints actually add something to the ride because it almost feels more intense. Also I really hope they don't neuter Skyrush.

Honestly, I really like the I305 soft should restraints, and would have loved to see them on SkyRush. With that said, I was definitely unprepared for the intensity of SkyRush on my first ride. After riding it once, I was totally able to ride it defensively and didn't experience any discomfort.

I'm just happy that a US park still has the balls to build such an intense ride, even if the restraints aren't perfect. I'd take SkyRush's airtime with slightly uncomfortable restraints over any B&M's airtime/comfortable restraints any day!

And this is pretty much exactly the reason why you see a lot fewer Intamin's in the US. People keep wanting a Mega-Lite in the USA, and I guarantee you the moment one opens, you'll have stupid Americans bitching about it.

Keep 'em in Europe and Asia where they belong. Just like the Zac Spin. That ride doesn't belong in America.

--Robb "Americans want boring B&M with floater airtime... They can't handle anything extreme." Alvey

I wonder how many of the GP who are complaining have never ridden something with strong sustained intamin ejector before like El Toro or Bizarro. They may be over exaggerating and simply not prepared for the ride.

It doesn't matter how many coasters one has ridden. Everyone is entitled to their opinions about intensity on a ride. I love both B&M's and Intamins. I like that B&M's are smooth, like a magic carpet ride. I also love that Intamin's are crazy intense. Noone can prepare for a new ride. When one rides it for the first time, it's an exciting UNPREPARED feeling. I have ridden El Toro before and loved it. Riding Sky Rush today, it was the most intense coaster I have ever ridden. I rode the right Winged seat. I felt like I was going to be thrown outta the coaster! It doesn't make me a wimp because my thighs hurt from the restraint squishing them. Everyone that gets off Sky Rush says awesome ride, but it hurts!

It doesn't neuter the ride at all, it's not even something you'd notice riding like some coasters (like the jarring first turn on the Hurler that likes to adjust spines), largely because it's just so exhilarating and relentless from the Stengel Dive to the brakes. Sitting parked on the final brakes, walking down the stairs after a couple of rides, i felt it. I don't think it's wrong to bring it up. I'm not bruised either, and I was strongly thinking about a couple more rides but it was already late in the day and I decided it was best to get going. (It's a good thing we did, by the time my wife and I left Chocolate World the storm that soon closed the park was looming close- so we booked before the exiting crowds could get us stuck in the rain.)

It might limit your re-riding, but like a bottle of fine scotch, maybe this just need to be enjoyed over time.