TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Dear Hershey,

Your marketing and social media team is amazing. You should win an "Applause award" for your viral efforts. Shoot, you probably have . The build up and time spent in developing that concept was great and really captivated the enthusiast crowd. That being said, the POV you've provided us of Sky Rush is kind of a let down. You've innovated the marketing of coasters in so many ways that to see a go pro hd camera, without after effects image stabilization and on a stock mount is kind of dissapointing. I'm just saying.

Sky Rush deserves better.

Your Nerdy Friend,

Chris

People keep talking about how short it is, and I kind of agree, but i just showed the POV to my mom and she said, "Wow, it's a long ride!" The GP most likely won't realize how short it is because it will be such a thrill. Can't wait to ride!

New entrance photo from Brian Maxwell from the Project 2012 Facebook group with the main Looper entrance.

EDIT: Here's a BIG Skyrush sign! Looks like it's going on the rear of the station. This photo was by the people of the Hershey Lodge Facebook group:

Edited by Ccron10

Dear Hershey,

Your marketing and social media team is amazing. You should win an "Applause award" for your viral efforts. Shoot, you probably have . The build up and time spent in developing that concept was great and really captivated the enthusiast crowd. That being said, the POV you've provided us of Sky Rush is kind of a let down. You've innovated the marketing of coasters in so many ways that to see a go pro hd camera, without after effects image stabilization and on a stock mount is kind of dissapointing. I'm just saying.

Your Nerdy Friend,

Chris

What. The. Hell was that? ^

The video looks fine, and I'm glad they put an official one out before all of the rule-brakes start posting them. Could they have used a better camera? Sure. But the video's not bad.

Hershey films there own rides and doesn't permit clubs to film. Big deal. Putting a high-quality POV out there probably isn't at the top of their priority list.

I think the POV is fine, at least it's not handheld.

And sure the ride is a bit short, but it'll make up for it with airtime. And you could expect it to be a bit short considering how Hersheypark didn't have a load of space to work with. I'm astounded that they've managed to fit a hypercoaster at all!

You know, this could very well end up being one of the best steel roller coasters in the world.

It looks absolutely fantastic, and I can't wait to take a front seat ride on Saturday.

I'm more looking forward to the winged seat riding around those hills , but what A.J. said could very well be true. I'm going to be there on Saturday too, and I'm hoping the ride will deliver as much as I expect it to! Only 4 more days until the ride opens, and my brother turns 13 too! What a cool birthday present....

Dear Hershey,

Your Nerdy Friend,

Chris

I'm sure HP will eventually have a professional company come in to film B roll footage in the future, but if they wanted to get something out quick, its simple enough to stick a little go-pro in the front and let the footage roll instead of waiting for film crews to come through. The footage looks good. Better then majority of the footage out there. You guys are so picky.

Dear Hershey,

Your Nerdy Friend,

Chris

What. The. Hell was that? ^

The video looks fine, and I'm glad they put an official one out before all of the rule-brakes start posting them. Could they have used a better camera? Sure. But the video's not bad.

Hershey films there own rides and doesn't permit clubs to film. Big deal. Putting a high-quality POV out there probably isn't at the top of their priority list.

I'm sure HP will eventually have a professional company come in to film B roll footage in the future, but if they wanted to get something out quick, its simple enough to stick a little go-pro in the front and let the footage roll instead of waiting for film crews to come through. The footage looks good. Better then majority of the footage out there. You guys are so picky.

You guys completely, and totally missed the point of Chris' post. Good job.

Edited by robbalvey

^Sadly, You are correct. it take six seconds for the train to crest the "curved stairs" part of the lift in the POV as opposed to this video:

which takes four seconds, meaning the lift speed should be roughly 17.3 ft/sec as opposed to 26 ft/sec which should be about a 0.1 to 0.2 G decrease of the airtime. It's not that big of a difference, but it won't be QUITE the bat-outta-hell pacing that we could have gotten, assuming they are keeping it at that speed and not bringing it back up. Edited by Tanks4me05

Why would that be a surprise though? Once the ride is built the ride is adjusted to hit design perimeters. If the ride is going too fast, that is why they reduced the speed of the lift, added trims, changed wheel compounds, etc...

Just normal when they run rides for the first times. Then its tweak time to hit target speeds and whatever else they have in mind.

Edited by Invertalon

Why would that be a surprise though? Once the ride is built the ride is adjusted to hit design perimeters. If the ride is going too fast, that is why they reduced the speed of the lift, added trims, changed wheel compounds, etc...

Nobody said they were surprised, not sure where you're coming from.

So are they running it consistently with the slower lift? I asked this a while back and someone said that it was just the new train or something like that, but considering that the POV was just shot yesterday and they're still running it slower, I'm assuming that's the case.

I think the point he was making was that the train was moving slower through the course because it was the newer of the two trains.