TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Maybe it's just the engineer in me, but with the track and catwalks all installed I think that the lift is great! Not as stunning as I305 though, partially from the design and partially just because it's smaller.

*EDIT: Are they consistently running the lift slower than before? It's definitely not moving nearly as quick as it was before, even after the slight kick at the base of the lift.

*EDIT: Are they consistently running the lift slower than before? It's definitely not moving nearly as quick as it was before, even after the slight kick at the base of the lift.

It is slower in that video. That was the first day with them running both the trains together, so I imagine the faster lift will come with more testing. Also, notice that it's running that speed without test dummies.

I can't decide if I like the look of these trains or not, I'm sure they're ride like a dream but it almost feels like something is missing. They almost look unfinished, which they still might be. It's not that big of a deal and I'm sure the ride will still be unbelievable.

I'm thinking that the fact that these trains look incomplete is the whole point. They want you to feel that you are completely exposed and almost as if the train isn't there. But I also agree that they look a bit plain, a bit of color variation wouldn't have hurt or something a little more substantial out front. I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics of the new B&M hyper trains either, they just look like seats bolted to a flat sheet of metal.

^Oh I agree, and the openness of the trains should make the ride experience incredible, but I was referring more to the exposed hydraulic cylinders and the all welds that are showing, they just look a little "exposed". Some color variation probably would have helped quite a bit too.

^Oh I agree, and the openness of the trains should make the ride experience incredible, but I was referring more to the exposed hydraulic cylinders and the all welds that are showing, they just look a little "exposed". Some color variation probably would have helped quite a bit too.

I thought that too. I guess I've just grown accustomed to the regular Intamin seat-backs. (I-305, Maverick, etc.)

When are we going to see a POV?

Is it just me or does it look like this coaster is going to chew up wheels and spit them out if they are already looking like this

As with i305, they'll probably play around with different tire materials to find one that best suits the combination of forces, track geometry, duty cycle, weather, and any number of other factors that I can't think of.

^^^The problem with I305 was that it sustained G's too high too long. Though I don't know the calculations myself (yet) my best guess is that since with an increase of G's, there's an increase of normal force and thus kinetic friction. The increase in friction should result in an increase of heat (I'm taking thermodynamics next semester; I'm just trying to do my best inferences here, which is why I used "should" instead of "will") and since the G's were sustained for more time on I305's first turn, that means that the wheels had more time to heat up without cooling down to their normal temperature. Since we don't have that amount of sustained G's on Skyrush, the quick G transitions will allow the wheels to cool down in a quick succession, thus they probably won't have to go through the wheels nearly as fast as I305 originally did. Time must be the more important factor rather than actual G's, because if that were not the case than Boomerangs would be far more legendary for their eating through wheels than they already are for their ubiquity and roughness (though I don't think they're unbearable in their roughness.)

I haven't checked in on this thread in a couple of weeks. This thing is looking amazing! I think the whole area with the coaster, the trees fully bloomed, and the creek filled with water is stunning. There are gonna be some sweet photo opportunities when the area is fully open. Can't wait to see pics of full trains!