TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Color me whatever color excitement is. This looks just too good!

Any news on what they're doing with those two yellow cross-beams? It might just be the shadow but it looks like the top one is partially covered by something blue...

Funny story about that. Apparently, those two supports were shipped that way, and Intamin insisted that they were not for the lift because the lift supports are blue instead of yellow (and because they're always right, right?). The ride was constructed, they were proven wrong, and Hershey was sent blue paint but decided to keep them that way.

I think that's how the story went, ironically I asked the same question on our construction tour. My memory might be off.

Edited by A.J.

It does look like it could be the lift cable - it's in almost the exact placement as I305's is, following the support structure even after the train disengages at the top to run down the support column. But Fooz is right, there's been plenty of cables installed throughout the construction process. Since the arch is finished, though, I can't see why there would be one in place anymore - especially not one that's vertical and placed where it is.

Wasn't it said previously that the lift cable most likely runs back up through the structure to return to the station, since the creek is in the way? It'd be pretty difficult (maybe even impossible) to run a moving cable under the creek, or between Comet and the creek.

Nee-ope! According to what we were told on our tour, it's going underground. Once again, my memory may be faulty, but I'm pretty sure that's what we were told.

EDIT: Silly me! It's going under Comet, not underground. Duh!

Edited by A.J.

^^That's more or less exactly what happens with I305 - the cable runs through a trench in the ground back to the station. It's just worked into the terrain of Hershey and the creek. That's what I said, pages and pages ago...running a lift cable requires a tension and pulley system, something running the cable back through the truss structure wouldn't really allow for.

I305 cable return is not underground, it runs through an uncovered trench in the ground. The Mechanics have to be able to visibly inspect the cable, they wouldn't be able to check the cable return if it's was running through an underground trench. So an underground trench running under comet may not be happening, a system like that could raise some safety/maintenance issues.

I've been following the construction of Skyrush since day 1 and I've seen not one pic of a trench dug under Comet for the cable return. On the Station side of Comet there is no sign of a trench for the cable return either. I remember when I305 was constructed the cable return trench was dug out and cement laid with the rest of the footers not after, I guess HP could still dig out a cable return trench but so far there is nothing that would suggest that's the set up they are using. Imo it wouldn't make much sense to go back and dig out trenches and lay concrete after the ground work is completed and the coaster itself is almost complete but I guess will see.

I305 cable return is not underground, it runs through an uncovered trench in the ground. The Mechanics have to be able to visibly inspect the cable, they wouldn't be able to check the cable return if it's was running through an underground trench. So an underground trench running under comet may not be happening, a system like that could raise some safety/maintenance issues.

How would they dig a trench...in the water...? That would make it a dam, stopping the flow of water through the creek. The cable is going to being running right over the water for part of it's return back to the station.

From RCDB

So, not underground, but under Comet.

My mistake. I knew I didn't remember it correctly! But it's definitely not going to double-back down the lift hill.

So, not underground, but under Comet.

My mistake. I knew I didn't remember it correctly! But it's definitely not going to double-back down the lift hill.

I imagine it being very difficult to accomplish given that in addition to the Comet there is the cue line. Hard to picture them putting a cable that close to peoples heads.

^I think the most interesting part of that update is that apparently the coaster will still have another curve up and over comet before hitting the brakes. For some reason I was under the impression the turn after the straight bunny hill was into the brake run.

I'm getting really excited for this. Hershey's one of my favorite parks and Skyrush is looking to be another great addition.