TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^I305's lift cable runs vertically down from the end of the lift and then in a trench below the ride back to the base of the lift. I imagine Skyrush will work in a similar fashion, so it'll be running underneath Comet. You can see the trench in this picture:

[attachment=0]DSCN1546.JPG[/attachment]

If you look at CCron's photos: the cable is actually on the other side of the creekbed, at the base of the column- Perhaps Chris can pull a picture of the drum's position (please!)

Something makes me wonder if this ride will produce the same "WHIP!" noise when the train finally leaves the station that I-305 makes. Seriously has anyone heard that thing when the train finally goes fully out of the station sometimes? Its like when your waiting you hear the "Gentlemen..Start your enginessssssssssss wwwwwwwwwwwhip crack!" I expect a Texan to yell "Yehaw!"

^Neither train has made that noise all season as far as I've witnessed. And when it used to make that noise, it was almost always one train - probably an issue with the eddy current not picking up the anti-rollback dog before the incline. I think the problem is fixed, though.

If you look at CCron's photos: the cable is actually on the other side of the creekbed, at the base of the column- Perhaps Chris can pull a picture of the drum's position (please!)

There might be a drum there, but there's also a drum there on I305 - otherwise, how would the cable switch directions and run back to the drums at the base of the lift? So yes, there's going to be a drum at the base of the second column, maybe another for tension, but the cable then has to run back to the start of the lift, where it meets another set of drums before it runs up the lift itself.

Has the lift speed on this thing been spoken for yet? I remember I-305 also has a seriously wicked fast lift its firsts season then later on it got neutered as bad as El-Toro's lift slows badly at the top now.

Blistering will describe this one- as it's 18.5 MPH from HersheyPark's stats on SkyRush

^Neither train has made that noise all season as far as I've witnessed. And when it used to make that noise, it was almost always one train - probably an issue with the eddy current not picking up the anti-rollback dog before the incline. I think the problem is fixed, though.

There might be a drum there, but there's also a drum there on I305 - otherwise, how would the cable switch directions and run back to the drums at the base of the lift? So yes, there's going to be a drum at the base of the second column, maybe another for tension, but the cable then has to run back to the start of the lift, where it meets another set of drums before it runs up the lift itself.

Due to the platform being superelevated, the winch will be opposite the platform-

If I understand from the pics/layouts we've been allowed to see, it'll be similar to I305- but with a very odd return pattern- due to the creek, they can't bury things- so the cable will have to go up and over the structure there. Also, with the layout of Comet, it can't return down to the drum downward- so it will have to double-back to the lift hill assembly.

Mind you- that's an educated guess there.

^Interesting. Yeah, that all makes sense. So now I'm curious to see just this little piece and how it works out! Obviously Intamin has a way of designing their cable lift hills and returns, so I can't wait to see how they change it this time (assuming that they do)!

Has the lift speed on this thing been spoken for yet? I remember I-305 also has a seriously wicked fast lift its firsts season then later on it got neutered as bad as El-Toro's lift slows badly at the top now.

Not sure what you're talking about, I305 still gets up the lift just as fast as it did its first season...

In the news related to Skyrush, I really don't remember seeing a path for the cable to go from the lift motor back to the station. If there was, it would have Comet to deal with.

973749251_DSC03709(Custom).JPG.f076d92b7cf0d76b2577fd4fb6148e6d.JPG

R.D. did you ask for a pic of this?

Edited by Ccron10

Yuuup- That's the one I was thinking of- It's hard to explain the location of the lift drum relative to the Comet- which SkyRush goes overtop of. Thus why (Unless they're going to thread the thing through Comet- which I doubt!) the cable will have to double-back onto itself to work effectively.

Thanks Chris!

Yuuup- That's the one I was thinking of- It's hard to explain the location of the lift drum relative to the Comet- which SkyRush goes overtop of. Thus why (Unless they're going to thread the thing through Comet- which I doubt!) the cable will have to double-back onto itself to work effectively.

Thanks Chris!

That's exactly what I was wondering. I didn't think they would just run a cable through Comet.. I don't think there was a coaster where Intamin ran the cable back through the track whence it came, but I don't see why they wouldn't in this case. It doesn't seem practical, and they would have to shut down two coasters if it needed replacing.

Do we have any idea what opening day is going to be like for Hersheypark? Since Skyrush will be opening, and it's my brother's 13th birthday, I was planning on going down as a surprise. Will it be insanely busy, empty, or not open to the public until (fill in the blank) o'clock due to Skyrush? I'm debating on what to do...

Hershey is planning on opening Skyrush on Saturday, May 26th, which is the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Of course this is subject to change, but that's the target date at the moment. Skyrush will not be opening with the park in April, and has a tradition of opening new rides the Saturday of Memorial Day. The park will obviously be very crowded that weekend.

Really, this is turning out to be a gorgeous coaster. It's interesting that they're putting the lift track on separately though... didn't somebody say they only had the crane until a set date?

Clifford the Big Red Crane is on-site till the end of the month. Once the crown goes up, the track will be easily assembled from there, requiring very little time (Provided the weather holds out...)

R.D.

Found a new Contest on the Official website:

http://www.hersheypark.com/contests/skyrush_animation/index.php

Hersheypark Skyrush Contest

Submit your Skyrush video for a chance to win a Hersheypark Season Pass! Your video will also be highlighted at Hersheypark and on Hersheypark.com!

The attatched toolkit contains approved logos, ride specifications and music tracks to assist you in the creation of your video. Any videos containing music other than these approved tracks will be disqualified. Entries must be under 2 minutes in length and file size must be 100 mb or smaller.

The deadline to submit entries is Thursday, February 16th. Videos will be judged on the following criteria: Accuracy of Ride Experience -30%, Accuracy of Background - 20%, Excitement - 25% and Adherence to the Submission Requirements - 25%.

Should be interesting!

I have a question about the trains:

What has been announced for restraints?

I assumed it was going to be a lapbar from above based on the first two renderings, but a picture released in the file for the contest shows OTSRs.I really hope they stick with the lapbars, but I guess we'll see when the trains get here in person.

Also, what are the contest videos supposed to be made with and what footage/animation do contestants use?

skyrush_illus.jpg.98b37533554ac6b4b19d9766be39716f.jpg

I know it's art, but I thought it seemed accurate.

432683456_srtrain.jpg.5cf15bb1f31466980675dea7a3b0fd07.jpg

This looks to be clam-shell restraints as well.

302789313_coasterColors1.jpg.3a6a07569e0ebd45fe978645ee137e27.jpg

This looks like typical Intamin OTSRs :/

I noticed that too. Considering Hershey's u sally VERY accurate with the final rendering(being that first picture you have) I would say lapbars. And one of my friends is friends with many of Hershey's "higher up's" who have all said they are expecting lapbars, but the final decision is up to Intamin. As far as the contest is concerned, you make your own animation. You can't use any other still pictures or music except the one's provided in the toolkit.