TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I don't "get" the random yellow supports. But I doubt it will be noticeable once track is install over it.

It's awesome seeing this thing progress! Looking forward to future updates!

This could be (for one reason or another) a simple 'painted at the factory, but ran out of SkyRush Blue' issue- which I'm sure will be addressed prior to opening day.

From the looks of the video it looks like they might be half way done with the support for on the lift going down. I hope im wrong and they more than that done.

As of yesterday, 90 feet of the first drop's support structure was up. Based upon that video, the track was being lowered into place therein.

Remember, this ride does NOT have the same structuring that a 'standard' Intamin does- The lift will have two support columns- the one you see going up now, and one just below the crown of the lift hill.

If I know what your talking about I dont see any support at the CROWN of it. If im wrong tell me and explain it.

The support for the crown of the lift is going to be directly under the track. Basically, they beef up the steel and make "super lift hill track." It creates an arch (like the one in St. Louis) that can support itself. The lift hill of Intimidator 305 was built in pretty much the same exact fashion. This is a picture of the 305 lift hill track prior to construction that shows you how massive it really is.

8425_508533089554_110300559_30246104_7306588_n.jpg

It looks like the only difference between the lift support structure of SkyRush and I305 is that it uses 2 plate girders for the arch instead of a arch truss-span between the 2 big support frames that Intimidator 305 used. I'd imagine this means the SkyRush arch beam was significantly cheaper to produce.

It looks like the only difference between the lift support structure of SkyRush and I305 is that it uses 2 plate girders for the arch instead of a arch truss-span between the 2 big support frames that Intimidator 305 used. I'd imagine this means the SkyRush arch beam was significantly cheaper to produce.

Actually: Part of the shift from the truss to the thinner structure is the height difference between the two- Far less stress on a 201 foot tall arch vs. a 305 ft. arch. In all reality though, Intamin/IntaRide LLC most likely has been refining the design of the two-support lift structure. I'd expect in the future we'll see more of this type of build on Intamin coasters.

No offense but this is a HERSHEY PARK thread not a lets argue about i305 is better then skyrush(Skyrush is better by the way.

Ummm... Who's arguing about that? You're the one who brought it up. Our member was comparing the structure of A to B.

Actually: Part of the shift from the truss to the thinner structure is the height difference between the two- Far less stress on a 201 foot tall arch vs. a 305 ft. arch. In all reality though, Intamin/IntaRide LLC most likely has been refining the design of the two-support lift structure. I'd expect in the future we'll see more of this type of build on Intamin coasters.

That was my thinking, as well. Great minds think alike!

No offense but this is a HERSHEY PARK thread not a lets argue about i305 is better then skyrush(Skyrush is better by the way.

What did you just post in Leviathan's thread ?

What did you like it.

You're contradicting yourself and if you did ride I-305, then you really can't say that one coaster is better than the other when you haven't ridden them both (I took a course in symbolic logic, don't test me on that).

I'll be heading back over to do another update this afternoon and I can't wait to see what I'll find.

Every time Ccron10 or FaithnotForgotten posts a Skyrush update, a male coaster enthusiast wets himself.

I, luckily, have not succumbed to that. So - either I'm a girl (last time I checked I'm still a guy, maybe I should check again), I'm not excited for this ride (which I am), or I'm in the middle of finals week.

I think the third situation seems more likely. Can't wait to see the beast topped off.

Every time Ccron10 or FaithnotForgotten posts a Skyrush update, a male coaster enthusiast wets himself.

I, luckily, have not succumbed to that. So - either I'm a girl (last time I checked I'm still a guy, maybe I should check again), I'm not excited for this ride (which I am), or I'm in the middle of finals week.

Like hades you haven't. I know you've been sneaking a peak at the massive yellow erection going on in Hershey... Late at night, all alone with your screen flickering up the videos of the workmen raising the track higher and higher, grabbing a quick peek of the box-beams being lifted vertically above Comet, the obscene ground shots of the dirt curve dripping with water, etc.

I wonder if the truss assembly is simply because of space requirements (going over Comet), or if it actually saves money on lift support, or if there are other reasons...wouldn't it seem that simply adding another support would cost less than running a truss under the entire lift?

IIRC: The truss and beam support system is more of a cost-saver as well as an easier to assemble system:

1.) You don't have to put columns in all over the place, and in the case of HP, that means no funky structures to bridge Comet, sdL or the creek.

2.) It's just as effective as a standard system, but with less direct steel.

3.) I'ts as stable as a 'standard' support system- but also has one very -non- tactile feature: It looks GOOD!

The webcam is up, but the image is from this morning:

http://www.hersheypark.com/skyrush_2012/index.php

Just got back from the construction site and I'll have a new update posted tonight. So far the lift is very visible from Chocolate Ave. and you can see the top of it through the trees at Tudor Circle. The turn looks sexy.