TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

I'm going to call it now. Once this opens, the general consensus will be that this is the best new coaster of 2012 anywhere in the world.

Really? Leviathan, Verbolten, Wild Eagle, X-Flight? I think it will be good but only be like 3rd or 4th best. Leviathan and Wild Eagle FTW.

As for as forces are going to go, Skyrush will defiantly win.. Skyrush has been so far a VERY under rated coaster for the 2012 season. Most people on here don't realize how small the construction site is, and with these speeds, we will get some mad airtime. I'm NOT saying Wild Eagle, Leviathan, ect won't be thrilling rides(they will be) But, NO way Skyrush ranks "3rd or 4th" More like, "2nd or likely 1st" If inversions is your thing, Wild Eagle MAY be your personal fav, but if you're into airtime and other forces, Skyrush DEFIANTLY tops them all. Just wait and see on May 26th.

Cool coaster, but I don't like the new intamin track. I've always had a spot in my heart for box track, and it is kinda sad to see its demise. My first looping coaster (Shockwave @ SFOT), giga (MF) and strata (TTD) that I rode were Intamins with box track. MF used to be my absolute favorite ride ever, and when I was younger I considered being a piece of its track for Halloween. Seriously.

RIP box track,

Cool coaster, but I don't like the new intamin track. I've always had a spot in my heart for box track, and it is kinda sad to see its demise. My first looping coaster (Shockwave @ SFOT), giga (MF) and strata (TTD) that I rode were Intamins with box track. MF used to be my absolute favorite ride ever, and when I was younger I considered being a piece of its track for Halloween. Seriously.

RIP box track,

Cheetah hunt was built after I305, and features box track almost exclusively it seems. I think we can expect it to stick around based on the type of ride. I like the look of the skyrush track though, to me it says "serious buisiness".

My first looping coaster (Shockwave @ SFOT), giga (MF) and strata (TTD) that I rode were Intamins with box track.

Shockwave at SFOT is a Schwarzkopf just an FYI

Kyle, I don't think I would have been able to live to see tomorrow if I hadn't read that absolutely riveting comment of yours. I had NO IDEA that Shockwave at SFOT was a Schwarzkopf, WOW! Now I can finally die a happy man with that top secret information.

RIP box track,

Like Cheetah Hunt, Green Lantern at SFMM was built after I305 and it also uses the "box track". So like Fooz said I think its far from gone and the track type is probably just preference of the park where the coaster is being built.

The new track is used to minimize supports for large-scale rides that would require a large number of support columns, which then need a large number of footers poured as well. At some point in scale, you break even with the cost of production of the bulkier track and the cost saved on supports and footers, and after that it makes sense financially and physically to use the double-spine track. So the box track isn't gone, but we're not going to see it used on anything of this scale with these forces being applied to the track.

I FINALLY got here for Christmas Candylane for the first time and I had such a great time!! They do such a good job with the park with the details of lights everywhere! I was very surprised to see the number of rides still operating during the cold months. I was extremely happy The Claw was open and could get one last ride in for the season. The N.O.E.L show was awesome! Watching it from the bridge by Sooper was amazing!

A good portion of the supports are up.

http://keystonethrills.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/hersheypark-skyrush-construction-update-57-12-5-11/

DSC02999.thumb.jpg.1da49ca750ad127065126f645f8db4f4.jpg

Rapid transition!

DSC03003.jpg.bfae0128d2365f3c6286a13b379ca93f.jpg

Once the track is in, this is going to look like a cool photo.

DSC03034.jpg.acde98c1b2cf173012269a1aaf053fd4.jpg

Looks like part of the support structure for the lift.

DSC03020.jpg.576196671fe1b4fb950562385f634375.jpg

Since work is going on at a rapid pace lately, I plan on doing 2 to 3 updates a week.

Wow. That first picture.

Based on the blueprints, I origionally pegged that part of the ride as a "weak point", a place where the track just seemed to meander around. Seeing that picture made me realize how insane the Stengel Dive will really be...

Can't wait to ride this!

Here's another cool youtube, surveying the site yesterday from a crane/cherry picker thing. Cool perspective!

You can also get a good idea of the overbank (looks like a pretty crazy entrance/exit), and the bunny hill finish is taking shape, which looks very twisty.