TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

The front gate area looks surprisingly well for being under water a day ago. I'm sure once you get close up, into the ticket booths, etc. there is considerable damage, though. These pictures of the flooding are crazy! Just think standing in those areas next season knowing that they've been under water. I wish the park luck with the cleanup... and let's hope our Skyrush construction hasn't been hurt too badly!

From an email they just sent out, just to keep everyone up-to-date on what's open and what's closed for now:

An Update From Hershey...

As many of you know, it's been difficult week in Central Pennsylvania, with extreme weather conditions resulting in flash flooding. Dauphin County, including Hershey, was declared a state of emergency. Many of our attractions and operations have been affected, and some will be closed this weekend.

The following attractions will be CLOSED through this weekend Sept. 10 and 11.

Hersheypark

Hershey Gardens

Hershey Highmeadow Campground

ZooAmerica

Hershey Country Club golf courses, Hershey Links, and Highlands Grill

The following attractions will be OPEN this weekend:

The Hershey Story Museum

Hershey's Chocolate World

Restaurant Week in Hershey will also take place as planned September 11-17

The Hotel Hershey, Hershey Lodge, and The Spa At The Hotel Hershey remain open to service our guests both presently at the property and those scheduled to arrive. Please check our websites for updates on our operations.

For up-to-date information on operating schedules for attractions, restaurants and events in Hershey, please visit this page, which will be continually updated as more information becomes available.

We'd like to thank those of you who have reached out to support us. When we refer to 100% family, that family includes all of you who choose to subscribe, follow and patronize us. Please know that our staff is working diligently to get our attractions open as soon as safely possible.

If you are traveling to Hershey over the next several days, this website will be helpful in determining the best routes to travel. Additionally, this site provides up-to-date travel information in Hershey, PA.

Thank you.

A New update has been posted to the Keystone Thrills showing the main points of the flooding at Knoebels, Dutch Wonderland and Hersheypark. Aftermath photos of Skyrush's construction site and a few photos of the area along Park Ave. have been posted as well.

http://keystonethrills.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/hersheypark-dutch-wonderland-and-knoebels-the-flood-of-2011-9911/

Hershey posted a video on their Facebook page from a tour they gave to local press. In it you can tell the extreme speed and force with which the waters rose, mangling enclosure fences and uprooting cement-rooted fence posts in some places. Also in that video it is noted that the Bison were born in Zoo America, meaning that if it weren't for these so-called "negligent animal killers" the animals never would have existed in the first place. Further more these animals weight 1 ton a piece, moving them is a feat which would be difficult when they are in the best of moods. I know that when a bad storm is coming, even days before hand my house pets (dogs/cats) are acting strange and can tell that something bad is coming. I'm sure that the Bison were in a similar state which would have made any serious move of the animals virtually impossible. Especially with the Zoo America staff trying to save ALL the animals in the facility and not just the two bison. I bet that if more time was spent moving the Bison and other animals were lost, everyone would be scolding Hershey for spending so much time on two measly bison instead of spending more time trying to save all the animals.

Furthermore, I would bet that at least 75% of all the people getting up in arms about the lost Bison eat plenty of beef for dinner.......

"Dear God! Let me put down my triple quarter pound bacon cheeseburger so I can post on Hershey's page how angry I am about these bison."

I read a comment (not on TPR) about how Hershey is now an animal killer. It's not their fault that the park flooded so quickly. People who make comments like that just piss me off.

As someone who lives in the area when all this happened, the creeks rose VERY quickly and everyone should be lucky that it wasn't worse.

I remember last Tuesday checking the weather and we were only supposed to get 4 1/2 inches of rain. The next day I ended up driving past that Pizza Hut and Wendy's twice. The first time at 9:30am, there were no roads closed in this area or flooding. It looked like a normal rainy day. Went past this way again at 12pm to pick up something and this time the road under Rt. 322/422 was blocked off as well as the exit ramps. The only ponding was under the bridge and in the turning lane at the intersection for Hersheypark Drive. Three hours later I then saw the picture of Pizza Hut and Wendy's under 6 to 7 feet of water. According to some employees, the water rose so quickly that one person had to escape through the Drive Through window!

Outside my apartment, the parking lot just look like a river. The end result was with Hershey being divided into two and with close to 14inches of rain: more than 3 times what was expected.

ZooAmerica did the best they can with what they knew about the weather. Nobody knew that it was going to be this bad, and there's only so much you can prepare for. What I found most interesting was that most people who have been criticizing them are people who live nowhere near the Hershey area and probably have no idea what this area has gone through.

When the Zoo re-opens, they are getting a $10 or $20 donation from me.

Here you go eddie: video-embed.pennlive.com/services/player/bcpid619299306001?bctid=1156050390001

Ccron you are completely right. The gross majority of the people getting upset and criticizing Zoo America are probably not residents of the Hershey, PA area. And I truly feel for the Hersheypark staff for having to deal with such a barrage of unwarranted negativity.

Hersheypark has sent us a press release setting the officially reopening date, as September 17th, also welcoming guests on the 18th of the same month.

Hersheypark has weathered many storms in its 104-year history, including most recently the effects of Tropical Storm Lee. The storm resulted in unprecedented flooding throughout the town on September 7 and 8.

Before the flood waters had completely receded, the Hersheypark Team had mobilized into action to assess damage and begin a staggering clean-up job. As a result of those efforts, the Park is ready to welcome guests on Saturday, September 17 and Sunday, September 18. (In September, the Park is open on Saturdays and Sundays only.)

At this time, only two rides that would ordinarily be open at this time of year are not yet ready to be reopened – sooperdooperLooper and Tidal Force. The Boardwalk at Hersheypark closed for its season on Labor Day. This leaves more than 50 rides and attractions ready for guests this weekend.

All rides have been thoroughly inspected by Park personnel with assistance from an independent ride inspection team.

Admission for this weekend is $55.95 for ages 9 to 54, $34.95 for ages 3 to 8 and ages 55 and older, and free for children 2 and younger. A $14 coupon is available on the Hersheypark Facebook page.

Admission includes Park rides; entertainment; access to select games, retail and food locations; and entry to ZooAmerica North American Wildlife Park.

ZooAmerica will also officially reopen on Saturday. Hours for this weekend are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. both days. The Zoo will be open daily after that, with hours posted on www.ZooAmerica.com. The Zoo can be accessed via Hersheypark admission or through its own entrance building on Park Avenue.

In addition, other Hershey attractions – The Hershey Story, The Museum on Chocolate Avenue; Hershey Gardens; and Hershey’s Chocolate World – will be open this weekend, as they have been for the past week.

For additional information, please visit www.HersheyPA.com or call 1-800-HERSHEY.

Had an awesome day at Hersheypark yesterday. The weather was nice and cool and made for great coaster riding especially at night. I was really pleased to find that the park had installed a fence with windows for viewing the Sky Rush construction site. I didn't really appreciate it until I saw them in person, but the footers for this ride are MASSIVE. And more importantly this ride will continue my favorite quality of Hersheypark, that RollerCoaster Tycoon feeling. What I mean is that when I used to play the original roller coaster tycoon and was confronted with a small park, I would squeeze as many rides into that tiny foot print as I possibly could. I love being able to walk through the park and see at least 2-3 coasters from any vantage point. I have no doubt that when the ride is finally completed they will finish landscaping to the point where you'll think that Sky Rush had just been there forever, just like they've done around all the other coasters.

P.S. After riding Storm Runner, front row, around 8:45 when it was about 60 degrees and the sun had completely set, I have found a new favorite coaster. I think that hands down it is a better coaster than Fahrenheit. And the darkness combined with the cold gave me my first experience with motion blur. Not to mention the view of Comet Hollow all lit up as well as Lightning Racer and Wildcat out in Midway America. I could ride that coaster all day and all night.

Good day Junior Researchers. First of all we’d like to thank you for being such great participants in our campaign. We sincerely hope that you enjoyed it as much as we did. It was also great to actually get to meet some of you at the Skyrush announcement.

We’ve been delaying contacting you in hopes that we could get a date at which we’d know when the opening of Skyrush would be, but unfortunately the flood might have changed that timeline slightly.

In the Spring we’ll be reaching back out to you with the open date of Skyrush so that we can schedule you to be one of the first public riders. If you are able to join us that day we’ll provide a ticket for you and a guest, however the first ride opportunity will be reserved for the Junior Researchers.

Good day Junior Researchers. First of all we’d like to thank you for being such great participants in our campaign. We sincerely hope that you enjoyed it as much as we did. It was also great to actually get to meet some of you at the Skyrush announcement.

We’ve been delaying contacting you in hopes that we could get a date at which we’d know when the opening of Skyrush would be, but unfortunately the flood might have changed that timeline slightly.

In the Spring we’ll be reaching back out to you with the open date of Skyrush so that we can schedule you to be one of the first public riders. If you are able to join us that day we’ll provide a ticket for you and a guest, however the first ride opportunity will be reserved for the Junior Researchers.

Just got this too. I'm so fricking stoked.