TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Wow! Trailblazer Catering is where we had our big Lunch at East Coast Bash!!!

And I just had a thought...has anyone heard about Sky Rush track? Isn't it stored across the street from the Pizza Hut and Wendy's that are under water? We joked about someone trying to haul it away, but I wonder if the water could damage or move it at all!

hersheyflood1.jpg.ab8398fe558d8046605157d474ddbd62.jpg

We had lunch in here last month!

I didnt know Storm Runner had a splash down!

^But the water currents could move the Skyrush track. If it pushes them into a hard enough object it could damage them. If the track even gets bent out of shape a little bit it wont fit and will have to be replaced.

The Skyrush track should be fine. This video

shows that the track is across Hershey Park Drive from Midway America, which is nowhere near any of the flooding. The doomed Pizza Hut is a few miles southwest, right next to Swatara Creek. Spring Creek, the creek that flooded Hershey, splits off of Swatara and flows east, in the opposite direction. Just a little local geography for ya

I'm wondering if Hersheypark has ever flooded like this before?

The picture of the park entrance gates is just sad to look because this is the one park I go to every single year. They covered Hersheypark on 6abc in Philly this morning and showed some of the park plus mentioned that some of the roads to the park collapsed.

Wow, we were just at Hershey, Knoebels, Dorney and GrAdv just last week and then to see these pictures of where I was standing look like this is crazy! I cannot believe that we just so happened to plan our trip right in between the terrible hurricane and all this flooding. We got really lucky but I feel sorry for all these parks and the damages the water has done. It really sucks and I wish them all a speedy recovery.

My heart goes out to those involved with the cleanup of this disaster. I applaud Hersheypark for being so forthcoming with the information.

The following is for all of the people that are spouting off on Hersheypark’s facebook page about the bison dying, and how they should have been saved. Accidents happen. This was record rainfall. How do you plan for something that you have never imagined could happen, or have been through previously? People make mistakes, and I'm sure Zoo America will learn from this tragedy. That is what makes us human. To kick someone while they are down, due to some relative anonymity provided by the internet, is the worst of human behavior. I wish these critical people could keep that in mind. They should ask themselves, would I be saying these same words to the poor person who had to pull the trigger to put the 2nd bison out of its misery? Would I be saying this to the park staff that work so tirelessly to come up with and execute these emergency plans, if I was face to face with them? How would these same people criticizing Hersheypark like it if they were criticized for their personal mistakes?

From Hersheypark's Facebook page:

This is a photo taken today of the Front Gate…. the waters have receded. The town of Hershey continues to be in a state of emergency, and travel is still difficult in many areas within the township. As always, the safety of our employees and our visitors is our chief concern. A select team of department heads, maintenance staff and security personnel are inside Hersheypark, surveying damage and keeping us apprised of the latest news. Clean-up has begun and will continue throughout the weekend.

303775_10150308167804357_16994689356_7820178_327940710_n.jpg.4f5df11ca8f976495f21ccb37458b09c.jpg

^It was a hit at the folks (not here) but on various sites who are blowing the 2 bison way out of proportion. People lost their lives and homes and all these folks can post about are two animals that where euthanized in the most human way possible given the situation. Sad it is, but Bison (as in the picture) are a popular food source that can be found in most grocery markets and slaughtered in worse ways everyday. It may be over the edge, and apologize if I offended you.